cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing New Batteries

Rodd06
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am installing brand new batteries for the coach and the engine due to the batteries freezing. Should I turn everything OFF in the motorhome including the inverter while installing?. I have a 40 ' Diesel Class A. What is the right way to do this and after they are installed what is the proper sequence of getting it all going again?
9 REPLIES 9

sdbounderdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine out last spring. To help make sure I put things back in the same place, I drew a quick sketch of my four batteries, numbering each battery post and noting which way each of the eight battery posts were facing (right side up or upside down). Then on the actual cables themselves, I used a "sharpie" permanent marker pen and marked each cable with the number (#1-8) of the corresponding post to which it was attached. In some cases there was more than one cable attached to a post. Worked well. Kept things properly sorted. Good luck!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Mark the positive cables before disassembling. zip ties work well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Rodd06
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! All posts are helpful and appreciated!!! Wish me luck tomorrow!

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
There is often confusion over wire colors vs polarity in RVs. In the automotive trade, red is, of course, positive...and black negative. But RVs are different, more like residential wiring where black is "hot" or positive, and white is "neutral" or negative. Hence so many cases of reverse polarity damage with RVs.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
sssooo wrote:
when is black NOT negative???

When white is negative.

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
when is black NOT negative???

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Observe correct polarity! Black is not necessarily negative (and most likely is positive). As mentioned, take photos or make drawings before removing your old ones.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Take pictures and label cables before you even start taking anything apart. Put it back the way you found it.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
turn off everything you can find. Make the negative connection on the battery last, then turn stuff on.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)