cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter with residential refrigerator

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently purchased my first class A. A 2001 Monaco Night DP. The previous owners installed a residential refrigerator. My questions are ones that I know has been discussed before. But I am still kind of confused as to what I need to do.

I have 4 6 volt batteries that provide 400 amp hrs. 200 usable. The rig also has a Xantera 1500 watt modified sine inverter. I tried plugging the frig into the inverter and although it ran when the frig kicked on and off the inverter board flashed and other lights flickered. I guess my inverter does not like my frig. Other things like the tv and micro seem to work ok on the inverter.

Should I get a 2nd small inverter to run the rig or upgrade to a pure sine inverter. The frig is a Whirlpool WRT 108FZDW02. I have had some difficulty finding the specs as to energy usage.

We are not boon dockers but would like to stay a couple of nights here and there and plan on doing some Walmart overnights. Will the inverter/charger keep the frig going and charge the batteries enough while traveling? I know I can turn the frig off but it would be nice to not have to while traveling and an overnight stop. I do understand any extended off grid time will need the generator to recharge the batteries. Solar may be in the future but not now. I will also want to use a laptop and charge a couple of cellphones.

I am also looking at a Victron battery monitor. Any advise on which model would be best for my use would be helpful.

So, should I upgrade to a larger (maybe 2000 watt) PSI or get a small one for the frig and if so what size? Will the rig run the frig/inverter and keep the batteries charged while driving? Will my 200 amp hour batteries run the rig for a couple of day if we boon dock some.

Thanks as always
18 REPLIES 18

MrWizard
i ran 7 yrs full time with a residential fridge and inverter power

it seems everything 'you have' is working as it should

you can expect lights to flicker/dim/flash .. what ever.. when a load starts up or stops. especially the fridge compressor starting

you may need to replace the house batteries, if this really troublesome
say IF the TV shuts off, when the fridge comes on

i would advise running the generator in the morning during breakfast & meals

i would not depend on battery power alone for (2) solid days of dry parking

but (4) batteries should be a good balance for your intentions

many people do overnight stops with a residential fridge and only (2) batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a residential refrigerator two years ago. It is similar to yours but is 10 cubic foot capacity. Using a Kill-O-Watt meter, I measured the power draw when running at 100 watts and the multi-day average draw at 40 watts. Per the Home Depot Energy Guide label for your unit (411 kwh/year) your average draw should be on the order of 47 watts. If your running duty cycle is similar to ours, your running power draw should be around 120 watts. A key consideration is the startup surge drawn by the compressor. The compressor in our unit is labelled by the manufacturer at LRA = 11 amps (or about 1,320 watts, Locked Rotor Amperes). The inverter should be sized to supply this surge, not just the running watts. I selected a 1,500 watt AIMS pure sine wave inverter dedicated to the refrigerator for our application. During our last camping trip, the AIMS stopped working. Since we were at a campground with electric power, I simply unplugged from the inverter and plugged into campground power. A first project this spring will be to replace the inverter.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
my fridge is set to run on 120 v ac. the batteries are only keeping it cold while traveling.
Bill and Joey the dog

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Forget it. The amount of money you will have to spend to run the fridge off of batteries won't be worth it, More Batteries$$ , Lots of solar$$ Etc. There are some low voltage electric fridges available but again more $$. You can of course run your Genny a lot, Please park away from other campers. Happy Camping.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.