cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is my "boost assist" connected correctly?

tpcollins
Explorer
Explorer
I've been puling my batteries at the end of the season and occasionally charge them throughout the winter in my garage. But I want to make sure I have that starting boost cable attached the right way. The chassis batteries are color coded so they're easy to attach. The house batteries are not but I hook them up by the shortest must be the negative and the longer one is able to reach further to the positive.

But the boost cable seems a bit short too but I can stretch it to the positive side of the house batteries - is that correct? Thanks.
Tim Collins
1995 Newmar 35' Dutch Star diesel pusher, acquired 1/21/05
2 REPLIES 2

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
normally the house and chassis batteries each have a ground to the frame. The house has two hot leads as does the chassis, the house one to the house and one to the boost solenoid and the chassis has one to the chassis side and one to the boost solenoid. The hot wire to activate the boost solenoid is usually from the chassis side. So if the chassis battery is truely dead there is no power to activate the boost solenoid and start the RV motor itself.

LEN

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boost would go to positive assuming there's only one boost cable (which would be typical). The negative return is through the shared chassis ground.

Whichever other wire is connected to chassis ground goes to negative. Whichever other wire is not connected to chassis ground but to fuses etc. goes to positive.

Relying on length as a general rule is rather unwise; I don't think there's any defined consistency there. If you know it's correct for your particular RV, that's of course a different matter entirely. (For that matter, relying on colors being correct can be problematic as well; a battery cable may have been replaced, and the correct color may not have been handy when it was replaced.)