cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Cherokee neutral lockout

Oday
Explorer
Explorer
I have an'05 Jeep Cherokee, that we tow four down. Never had a problem placing transfer case in neutral, until Chrysler had a recall to repair the neutral lockout. Since that repair transfer case will not go into neutral, and I have been back to the shop twice for repair. I know of another owner with the same problem. Are there any other owners out there with this problem. Thanks...Ken
'04 Mountain-Aire pusher with tag
'99 Jeep GC Ltd. Toad
One small wife
One small dog
8 REPLIES 8

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of large threads on the WK recall and the transfer case not going in to 4low over on JeepForum.com in the WK section. Likely related as a lot of them are off roaders and would use 4-low a lot more than neutral.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 05 GC, had the recall done. First time I went to put the transfer case in neutral it failed. I got the "Service 4WD system" or something like that. It was the night before a trip. I was back at the dealer when they opened, tech reset the software and could not reproduce the error. He said it was related to the recall but didn't know anything more.

He said if it happened again, just bring it back to a dealer.....It has been okay for now.

THe only thing I can add is that when it happened, I had the tranny in park, not neutral, when I pushed the button. I don't know if that could have caused the fault, but I don't want to try it to find out!

jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

guthriez
Explorer
Explorer
We had exactly the same problem (only AFTER the recall, though.) We took our 2008 Grand Cherokee to three different Jeep dealers to have the module reflashed. Because we were heading South for the winter, these dealers were along our route, and none were able to fix the problem. When we got to Tucson, the service department at Jim Click Chrysler Jeep diagnosed the problem, admitted it had been caused by the recall, ordered a new actuator for the transfer case, and fixed the problem. Within two weeks. And Chrysler picked up the tab. NOW we're happy.
The Guthaways
2008 Palomino Gazelle
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the transfer case will not go into neutral then they messed up the recall take it back and tell 'em do it right.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Did the recall last summer on my '05 WK.

No problem afterward with the neutral switch.

Recall done by Folsom, Calif, Jeep dealer.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the "Jeep Garage"just goggle it, there is a lot of information,seems to be quite a problem.I have an 05 WK which is the designation for the Grand Cherokee and will not be doing that recall.Chrysler knows all about it,can't remember what the solution is.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
INTERESTING!

A month ago I had the transfer case recall done. While they were at it I also had them change the oil in the transfer case and differentials - I was past due.

This weekend when I went to connect to relocate, the transfer case would not go into neutral - it would say "Service 4WD System" or something. Took it back to the same dealer. They "fixed" it, but not sure I got the straight skinny - don't have alot of trust for dealers.

At first the service manager said something about a "partial recall" or something - sorry now I forget what he said. I told him they had just done the transfer case recall to which he replied "maybe there were two." Again, not very trust inspiring. He said they had it hooked up to the computer downloading new software.

He then later said that the problem was the servo motor or something that disengages the transfer case was binding and they needed to take it off and free it - something they charged me $112 for. I'm still skeptical. Sounds to me like the initial try at the recall did not totally take, or it had problems.

Anyway, it now works. When I have time, I intend to do some research to see if I was being feed a line of manure on the servo motor.

Sure is a coincidence this did not just happen to me.
Roaming Full Timer

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
call chrysler customer assistance and report problem #is in owners manual or on line