cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L480E Transmission

Jiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34 ft Georgie Boy Swinger with a 6.5 new Hummer Diesel engine pusher. The transmission is an L480E electronic shift. Having lots of problems with 4th and overdrive not shifting and not holding. I am Going through all the basics such as checking solenoids etc. Changed and flushed oil and the problem has increased. The trans shifted into fourth momentarily and then quit shifting to that gear.
There are a few oddities that I have found. The power to the lockup solenoid is direct and on at all times when ignition is on. It is not attached to the brake switch and power is still there when brake pedal is depressed. Maybe there is a component in the (Transmission Control Module TCM) that allows for this. The fuel pump is mechanical so there is no electronics attached to it like a PCM. The TPS is visible on the pump. I have no idea where the TCM is situated and have looked in most places. I believe there has to be one somewhere or because it is the earlier version perhaps there was a different system. Does anyone know where the Shift Control Module may be located on that unit?
I am getting real frustrated as we started out on three trips and never got anywhere having to turn back because it would shift into 4th on test drive and then completely quit.
Thanks for any help
8 REPLIES 8

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
hanko wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Are you seeing any eng codes? What year is your MH?

I thaught he was talking about a transmission
I have the same trans on an ODBI and it includes transmission codes also.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

I thaught he was talking about a transmission
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
" The power to the lockup solenoid is direct and on at all times when ignition is on."

Most GM/Ford transmission solenoids have the + voltage applied at all times and the - voltage is controlled by the ECM. It is my understanding that it is easier to control - voltages with solid state devices.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Jiggs
Explorer
Explorer
the unit is a 1994 but the transmission is 1992 from the factory. It still has the old style harness.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar experience with my '91 dually, trans service shop worked with GM to finally determine torque converter problem. After market converter towed well.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

emcee
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure sensor would be my guess. TPS is also a possibility. This site might help. http://www.truckforum.org/forums/chevy-truck-forum/36427-everthing-need-to-know-about-a-4l60e-4l80e-...

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
You have to take it to a tranny shop to get this fixed.
HTH
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back