cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leather

sunnybrooktoyha
Explorer
Explorer
How does the leather couches hold up to dog nails. Do they tear?
6 REPLIES 6

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
njtony wrote:
Better check to see if leather is real or imitation.our coach is 2013 coachman, the captain chairs are now being recovered because the "leather"seats were fake!the material has started to peal and flake.so defentenlity would not hold up with nails.

Even the fake stuff shouldn't fall apart in three years.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled 70,000 miles with Milkweed Color UltraLeather(tm) on two sofas and the Captains chairs.

We also have two leather sofas in the S&B that the dogs are allowed upon.

The dogs are/were an English Springer Spaniel and a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier both about an active 50 pounds.

The leather sofas show slight effects of their body oil but the UltraLeather(tm) shows no effects. We do trim their toenails routinely.

I would prefer the UltraLeather(tm) in the MH because I think it is more temperature friendly. YMMV

Be sure to get the real UltraLeather(tm), not one of the knockoffs, to avoid the problems that others have had.

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
sunnybrooktoyhauler wrote:
How does the leather couches hold up to dog nails. Do they tear?

We have always traveled with dogs and in my opinion they can be the undoing of any type of furniture cover. At some point they might do that little nesting dance where they just scratch the heck out of the cushion. We use slip cover from surefit and they do a great job. Yes it is also a huge benefit to throw them in the wash.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have large dogs and have always had real leather on our couches and chairs in our stick house. The leather, if of a good quality and well maintained, will take about 10 years or so of abuse.
In our MH we opted for a high quality fabric that we remove after each trip to put in the washer. I believe that it is Sunbrella fabric and has now held up for five years and still looks like new. It is also more comfortable in the Winter and Summer when we travel.

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Better check to see if leather is real or imitation.our coach is 2013 coachman, the captain chairs are now being recovered because the "leather"seats were fake!the material has started to peal and flake.so defentenlity would not hold up with nails.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Sunny, the dogs nails may not tear the leather initially, but it will scratch the heck out of it. If you go with leather, you will have to cover it to protect the surface unless you want rough looking leather.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins