cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave the emergency(parking) brake off?

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
I had a brake caliper seize heading up Vancouver Island. I had it replaced at OK tire in Duncan. Excellent service had me out in an hour.
The fellow that I was dealing with said that if an Motorhome is left sitting for a extended period of time. It should be left with the parking brake off. This will help prevent the brake caliper from seizing up.

I've never heard of this.

What are your opinions?
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired
36 REPLIES 36

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
klutchdust wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I don't buy it. Caliper can seize up either way from non-use.
Does the parking brake really actuate the disk or a drum brake?

If you don't use it much I recommend lubing the slide areas when you change brake fluid every two years.

My test is to put transmission in neutral. If it starts to roll set the parking brake. After you verify the parking brake is holding the vehicle then put transmission into park.

I have wrenched my entire life. I have changed brake fluid only when the repair called for it, be it a broken line or whatever. My question is this,what has changed in the brake fluid industry that some feel the need to replace their fluid. One of my vehicles i owned for over 25 years, it stopped just fine and had no indication of fluid losing it's ability to work properly.
Recently a friend told me the quick lube stores are recommending it to customers.

It has also been a good idea to change it regularly because moisture builds up in it and makes it less effective and rots things like wheel cylinders and all the other iron components. That same moisture also kills anti-lock components. Changing fluid is cheap insurance against expensive repairs.
Personally, I can feel a difference in the intial bite of brakes and stronger pedal after really ancient fluid has been changed.

While it's best not to store a vehicle with the E brake on, it's crucial that it is used regularly when the rig is being driven in order to keep it working freely.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:

If you don't use it much I recommend lubing the slide areas when you change brake fluid every two years.

My test is to put transmission in neutral. If it starts to roll set the parking brake. After you verify the parking brake is holding the vehicle then put transmission into park.

I have wrenched my entire life. I have changed brake fluid only when the repair called for it, be it a broken line or whatever. My question is this,what has changed in the brake fluid industry that some feel the need to replace their fluid. One of my vehicles i owned for over 25 years, it stopped just fine and had no indication of fluid losing it's ability to work properly.
Recently a friend told me the quick lube stores are recommending it to customers.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Totally agree.
Very common problem with speciatly and classic cars that sit all winter.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I agree.

Different situation.

He said "during long periods of storage"......and I presume on a flat place.

You should NOT count on the transmission pawl to hold the coach when parked. If you INSIST on not setting the parking brake, you should chock at least two sets of wheels.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is actually true of everything these days...

Either use it all the time so it stays free, or leave it alone. There is no "sometimes" about it.

BTDT

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree. I never set my emergency brake when parked. Your parking pawl in your transmission case will hold your coach just fine.

I'm sure someone will contradict that, but that is what I do as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB