cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leveling jacks

Peggy_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I just purchase a beautiful 1997 Holiday Rambler. I drove it home and the only place it has gone was to have new tires. The jacks where fine when it went to the tires shop, after bring it home the jacks where pushed back and bent. They were fine from the dealership as they showed how they worked. Tire shop denies using the jacks so now its on me to fix. The bracket is welded to the coach and is very stout and is bent and pushed back. The jacks are HWH and I can not find where to purchase a new bracket so I am thinking I will have to have it cut off and re built. The springs and pad on the drivers side are missing. My questions is: Has anyone ever had to replace a bracket that is welded to the frame? I haven't even enjoyed my coach yet. I will call HWH Corp for any direction but I though maybe someone out there has had this issue. Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my leveling jacks when getting tires replaced, but I operated them, not the shop people. And I made sure the off side wheels were well chocked before lifting the other side.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with happy-2...Stay with the rig while they are replacing the tires. You never know how they are going to try and lift the rig to replace the tires.

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
When ever I get new tires ,I STAY with the rig till they are done.Never underestimate anyone.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your problem. I would agree with previous post. I would go back to the tire shop and talk to the owner/manager. I would suspect they used the jacks to lift the motorhome. That is what the shop wanted to do when I got new tires. I refused as they are mine and they are to lazy to drag out their jack. Unfortunate incident. Lesson for you and everyone else, stay with and watch what they are doing. Good luck. Don

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Brackets can only be found from HWH. They are NOT supposed to be welded on as HWH has BOLT ON brackets for all chassis types even Roadmaster if that is your chassis. The reason they are welded on is because OEM's and CW find it is quicker to weld them on. But, a good Service center can cut the existing bracket OFF and either weld them or bolt the replacement. Since your Bracket and Jack cylinder are damaged, it will be cheaper to buy the complete Jack/Bracket as a unit. They normally sell just the cylinder and other smaller parts, but in your case the complete assbly will be cheaper. There will be an AP number on each jack assbly. The front jacks will be identical and the Rear Jacks will be identical. Rarely are all 4 jacks the same lifting capability. HWH's website has been down for a few weeks, so, if you get that AP number off the jack(probably impossible on a 20 year old jack) you can call HWH and they will tell you the new replacement. Have your Year/Model/Chassis and VIN ready for HWH. Also measure the Black jack housing from top to bottom (not the bracket). Also get the diameter of the Black housing and the inner silver piston to help them get you the correct replacement. Doug

nor-easter
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our motor home the front jacks were bent towards the rear of the coach. We determined the previous owner or the sales outlet had the jacks down when transmission was placed in forward gear.
It took a lot of talking but we prevailed and the sales outlet brought the coach into their shop, unbolted the bracket holding the front two jacks, heated it and straightened. It. Reinstalled and everything is fine.
Are you sure yours are welded onto the frame? As noted, ours were bolted.
Good luck.
Capt. Chet

03 Journey DL 39.5 w/330 CAT and bells & whistles!!!!
Toad is a 04 Malibu
Full timing
Out Door World Elite/ Thousand Trails/ Pass Port America
FMCA f10045d

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I bet they used the jacks to change out the old for new tires. If they were not damaged when you took the coach to get the tires changed, I think I would take them to small claims court. And if they lose the case and they still do not want to pay, just put a lien on the business account. They will pay if they want to do anymore business.

Now as to the jack brackets, IF the leveler is not damaged and the only thing bent is the bracket where it is attached to the frame, all they have to do is get an Oxy/Acetene torch, apply some heat and straighten the brackets. It should not take very long.

Now you mention that a couple of jack pads are missing?? Were they missing when you bought the coach? Anyways it seems to me like you could probably buy them from HWH. Might give them a call.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear, wonder if the shop has security cameras that perhaps the owner could let you look at while your unit was being serviced...Bet they destroyed the jacks. Good Luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab