cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light Bulbs! Why can't I identify them?

Stratman50th
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Country Coach Magna 630, 42'. I'm trying to identify what type of bulb is used in the ceiling. I've looked in the manual, and even the schematics and can't find a part number. The bulb is small, marked on the side is 12v 10w 2-pin push in type. I'm not sure if they are halogen or not. I know it's just a bulb, but I'm trying to replace all of them with LED's. So I think I need to know exactly what I'm replacing so I buy the correct LED bulbs. The fixture they go in is a small round circular light approx 3" across. Frosted lens. There's approx 8-10 in each ceiling fixture. (I think it's a cosmetic cover for the bottom of the AC units also).
Thank's,
Don
13 REPLIES 13

Stratman50th
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses! They have helped a great deal. I worked in the coach all day yesterday and came up with a couple more burnt out bulbs, the "wedge" type. They are in the sconces and bedroom reading lamps. So I ended going to superbrightleds.com and ordering a handful to test. If they are to my liking I will slowly replace the halogens with LED's. They are expensive, but provide the same or more light for a fraction of the electricity so help with battery life. Almost as important to me is the heat the incandescent and halogen lights put out. That will save on the AC.
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded for the very kind assistance. If anyone is interested I'll post how these lights work out for me.
on

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do the LED's work with the dimmer... Depends on the LED's and on the DIMMER

Alas, that is the best info I can give.. LED's come in different types. Some have voltage regulators, some current regulators,, Some a simple resistor, THOSE can be dimmed by most any dimmer

Dimmers work in two ways, One is a variable resistor, it wont dim LED's unless you have a whole heaping bunch of them or.. Change the resistor part (The entire thing) others are PWM Radio Frequency Interference Makers, they work with MOST leds. but not all that well with a well designed voltage regulator type.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Stratman50th
Explorer
Explorer
I truly appreciate everyone's input! I'm going to head over to the big orange box and see if they have anything. I do want to replace all of them eventually. I just got the coach Friday and spent today cleaning. Those little bulbs are definitely halogen, it got hot in there. My fan in the bedroom is out I noticed, but that's for another thread. It did work the other day. I'm guessing a fuse. Just need to find which one!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have three areas of under cabinet lights and the cheap LED from China that I buy dim without any problem. Of the over 40 LED I've bought over the last several years for the MH only two of the early non SDM have failed. One stopped working and the other one of the old style round LED started blinking.
I would not go with the bright white inside although I do use them outside. I would buy 4-5 of each white and try them in two different areas before deciding.
The future of LED is the Cree chip and I've been tempted to buy a couple of these and bend the leads 90 and install as reading lights but the price has to come down some more first.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LED my ore may not work with your dimmer. Some have reported keeping on standard bulb in the circuit will make a non-working dimmer work. They are not meant to be dimmed so if that's a necessity, I would not go that route.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Stratman50th
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the help!
Ivylog wrote:
I would suggest you start with something like this as over the last several years I've tried various and these are currently the best. Under a cabinet I would suggest these but they will be off center in the fixture and on either you have to cut half the lead off as they are too long. I'm waiting for these to be made in warm white (3000k), not bright white (6000k) for the ceiling lights as they will center in the fixture better with 15 5050 SMD LED's.

I want to replace these with the bright white. One thing I've noticed is these coaches are kind of dark. Do the LED's work with the dimmer? That's my only concern now that I've got the bulb identified.
Thanks again to everyone who answered!
Don

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
10 watt halogen landscaping lamp.. Very common in the lawn and garden or light bulb area at Wal*mart, RV stores have them, Hardware, Lowes, Home, Depot

Take a bulb with you to the store and compare them..

NOTE: take a Burned OUT bulb

On the new bulb

DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS.... When installing use tissue or cotton or surgical gloves Oil from your fingers will damage the lamp. Or so they tell me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy 100 of the G4 LED replacement bulbs for $100 from China. Go price and nearly all of them work! Have extras left over? Sell them to your buddies for $2 and they are happy and you get free lights.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
stratman50 - I have 48 of the same bulb in the ceiling of our Country Coach. I just bought 24 bulbs on Amazon for under 5 bucks. To replace with LED about 500 bucks. I will be keeping the halogen.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not real tough to figure out. Denny gave you the correct info. However, you could also replace these HOT, energy hungry bulbs with equivalent LEB bulbs for a few bucks more. We got rid of all of ours and could not be happier with the LED replacements. They put out almost no heat and use 1/10 the power.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would suggest you start with something like this as over the last several years I've tried various and these are currently the best. Under a cabinet I would suggest these but they will be off center in the fixture and on either you have to cut half the lead off as they are too long. I'm waiting for these to be made in warm white (3000k), not bright white (6000k) for the ceiling lights as they will center in the fixture better with 15 5050 SMD LED's.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Stratman50th
Explorer
Explorer
Greydennyhawk wrote:
They are called G4 type and there are many led replacements available for your 2 pin application.

Thank you.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
They are called G4 type and there are many led replacements available for your 2 pin application.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3