cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for our next RV....Considering an A - Advice needed

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So, after several years of not RVing, we have decided that now is the time to return to RVing. We reside in SoCal.

Travel plans: primarily SoCal with some trips to AZ, Utah, NV and other destinations within 1-2 days of driving one way. Typically trips will be 2-5 days 3-5 times per year (when kids are off school). We may take one longer trip for two weeks in the summer. Would love to see more of our great country when time allows; perhaps a trip to the south in one of our two week summer trips.

We are a family of 5: Me (age 52) DW (age 47), DS(age 10-with Autism); DS (age 15); one furry friend (mini Schnauzer) Granny may accompany on occasions.

We have owned 2 TT (24', 32'); one 5er (30'); and one Class A ('89 Bounder with 460).

We have mowed over the cost/benefit/usage/comfort/maintenance analysis of TT, 5er, Class C, and Class A until we reached paralysis! Sometimes the analysis doesn't come out in favor of economic efficiency....but comfort, safety, and enjoyment are priceless when your kids are getting older (and parents are getting older too) and the time you have with them is limited. Our 10yo will probably be with us until we can longer care for him and he will join us on ALL adventures well into the future!

Towables are great but not sure our kids will like the trips when we travel 1-2 days to get to our destination. Riding in a crew cab truck for 1-2 full days is not that comfortable with 4-5 adults and a dog! Our previous experience has been on local 1 week trips but driving has never been longer than 3-4 hours one way.

So, now, we are considering a Class A (gas) and hope that this will be the rig that will meet our needs as described above. Class C would be OK, but the overhead bed is not great for adults to climb in and out of; especially if we take granny. We read the post for newbie Class As and learned a bunch.

What can be shared from the more experienced here on this forum? Based on our family size, intended use, etc.....what are lengths, slides or no slides, floor plans, brands, etc., to be considered or on our short list? Budget of about $25-$30K

Thanks in advance!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
31 REPLIES 31

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Love the long trailer it and Robin Williams RV are must watch for all.
given the amount of usage you have described I would consider renting. You could try several layouts and you have none of the following depreciation, upkeep, storage, wash and wax, oil changes, your present policy should cover your insurance needs or you can get rider cheap for week.
We are full time in 4 slide dp and lovein it. But it is not cheap.
I would not let my dog ride in either of 2 5s I have owned.
jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know, neither TTs nor 5ers have shock absorbers on their suspensions. An acquaintance who had an Airstream let family members ride in it. Luckily, they had cell phones, because the ride in the trailer was so rough they were feeling motion sickness within a few miles and called the driver to stop and let them out.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Breathial
Explorer
Explorer
Baja man, it sounds like you're at where I was a year ago. Got the Class A, had a ball with the kids in San Diego, and now just landed a job in Cheyenne, WY (no need for motorhome here).

So my RV is up for sale HERE.

Phone number is on the ad and I can a little negotiable on price without wife complaining too much.

Eric

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
US Federal mandated air bags in cars, included in most Class Cs, go a long way for safety. Don't forget the crumple zones built in too.

They are Federally mandated for a reason, they save lives..

With all the texting/cellphone usage by drivers who don't care, and very distracted, separating you and them, going in opposite directions, by a double yellow line, Class C come out ahead, by a factor of 500X...at least

Take the "Class C has less room because the cab isn't usable while we stop" doesn't apply anymore. You can take that 5 feet from me any day!

It's a different road now a days, protect you and your family

Nuff said

Baja Man wrote:
S
We have mowed over the cost/benefit/usage/comfort/maintenance analysis of TT, 5er, Class C, and Class A until we reached paralysis! Sometimes the analysis doesn't come out in favor of economic efficiency....but comfort, safety, and enjoyment are priceless when your kids are getting older (and parents are getting older too) and the time you have with them is limited. Our 10yo will probably be with us until we can longer care for him and he will join us on ALL adventures well into the future!

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
it may be LEGAL, but I would NEVER put my family in a 5er while traveling!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Wallik
Explorer
Explorer
It is LEGAL IN CA to have passengers in a 5-wheel, not though in a travel trailers. Also, there must be communication between the 5er and the TV and the doors must be avail to open from both inside and outside.

See the following from the DMV webpage.

Transporting Passengers

Here are the rules for transporting people in RVs or recreation trailers:
•People are not allowed in a trailer coach while it is being towed (CVC §21712(d)).
•People are allowed in a fifth-wheel trailer coach while it is being towed (CVC §21712 (f), (i)).
•A camper with people in it must have an unblocked exit door which can always be opened from both the inside and outside (CVC §23129).

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
5er....but then I can't tow my boat (don't want to tow doubles)
Equal-i-zer 10K

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the number of trips you are talking about a motorhome of any kind is not your best bet. I have both an A and a C and I use them much more then you are talking about using yours. I would look for a nice trailer and tow vehicle.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest taking a look at a class A gasser with a bunk bed slide.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
mikensallyt wrote:
BIKERK9 wrote:
Older the Class A, more it costs to maintain both engine and coach. Using a Class A 3-5 times a year and paying vehicle registration and engine maintenance is an expensive investment. I would go with 5th wheel and a double cab truck. Children could ride in the 5er and watch sat TV and communicate up to the truck via phone, txt, or intercom. Insurance is less on 5er and truck can be a primary vehicle. A 38 or 40 ft 5er like a Cyclone w/garage allows lots of room, easy loading of toys, and provides a patio too.
JMHO

What? You can have people in the 5er while driving it down the road???!!!

NO! NO! NO! and NO! Not only is it unsafe but illegal.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Class C's use to be cheaper so that was an advantage. The price has gone up on them quote a bit so I'm not sure there is much of a cost advantage between the classes.

The advantages to a Class C are:
They tend to sleep more people
The are safer in a front end crash
Smaller tires cost less to replace
They feel like you are driving a van
The overhang up front keeps the sun out of your eyes
Easy to get in and out of drivers area.

Advantages to Class A
Much more living space
Front seats spin and become part of the living room
Lots of storage
Bathrooms are usually bigger
Tend to have more seating
More & bigger slides
Bigger kitchens
Hydraulic leveling jacks
Backup camera is more common

You need to make two lists. One of needs and another of wants and then see which class fits you better.

You forgot that Class A's ride better.

Especially diesel ones :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look at Class A's with bunk beds. Each kid has his OWN space or area. More storage in a Class A over a C with either a C or A you need a toad and the A will have higher tow rating.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

blowboater
Explorer
Explorer
We spent lots of time researching & investigating Class C's vs Class A's. Test drove both varieties with bunk slide-out options. Had likes & dislikes, but it came down to what we wanted in livable space and more importantly some of the class c's we looked at had a carrying Weight between 1300-1600 lbs. Class A's were between 2300-4000 lbs. Makes a big difference when you add personal items, people, etc.

Taking possession of an Itasca Sunstar 35B next week. With two teens this layout made sense for our needs.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Class C's use to be cheaper so that was an advantage. The price has gone up on them quote a bit so I'm not sure there is much of a cost advantage between the classes.

The advantages to a Class C are:
They tend to sleep more people
The are safer in a front end crash
Smaller tires cost less to replace
They feel like you are driving a van
The overhang up front keeps the sun out of your eyes
Easy to get in and out of drivers area.

Advantages to Class A
Much more living space
Front seats spin and become part of the living room
Lots of storage
Bathrooms are usually bigger
Tend to have more seating
More & bigger slides
Bigger kitchens
Hydraulic leveling jacks
Backup camera is more common

You need to make two lists. One of needs and another of wants and then see which class fits you better.

You forgot that Class A's ride better.
2013 ACE 29.2