cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPG leaking--hard to find

dogvetia
Explorer
Explorer
WE have been fighting an LP leak for a couple of weeks. Have sprayed every joint and connection from tank to refer and water heater. I replaced the regulator but to no avail. Finally dealer (who is very good) found the leak in a 45 degree black pipe elbow where it goes into a manifold above the rear axle on it's way to water heater and furnace. problem is his hoist will not lift a diesel pusher. am heading to Winnebago Factory next week to have them replace all the black pipe. Anyone have any similar experiences? I guess they think the pipe dope used in putting the black pipe together when built (2003) has dried out . This is our 4th unit and first to experience this issue. Not a hard fix other than getting to the pipes is a pain. tom
2012 F350 diesel
2018 cruiser lite 28rd
5 REPLIES 5

dogvetia
Explorer
Explorer
Problem like many things in a motorhome is exposure to the problem. This leak is on top of rear axle/engine with no room to cut anything or even get a pipe wrench on. I and dealer thinks best is to remove and rebuild the entire section from tank to manifold and as long as you have it our to repair the cost of replacing all the pieces is minimal compared to labor involved. From manifold on it is the rubber reinforces hoses that are easy to replace. thanks for your hints.
2012 F350 diesel
2018 cruiser lite 28rd

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Most lickly the 45 degree fitting just cracked from movement.
Just replace it. Pipe dope does not dry out as it's in a sealed environment if you think about it.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just cut and fix ,your doing a over kill on the repair . theres trillions of feet of black pipe out there not leaking.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
just cut out the bad and replace with new. They make joints for that. As stated, its tapered. My home is heated with gas, and I am sure if dope was used it has dried out 50 years. Any good gas man can fix it if he can get to it. If not then what you are planning is the only way.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black pipe threads are tapered......so even if pipe dope has dried out still should not leak. That is IF threads were properly cut (Not all course/pitted from cutting too fast), not cross threaded and fitting properly tightened (didn't over tighten and crack it)

WHY are you having ALL black pipe replaced????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31