cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magik's RV

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I bought a 1985 27 foot Sport Coach made by Coachman for $2900. It is on a GM G30 chassis with a carbed 350 and TH400 transmission. It drove but none of the RV stuff worked. Before I stored it for winter, I got the refrigerator, furnace and water heater working. They just needed to be cleaned and adjusted. The 4 KW generator needed a major tune up but works now.

4/2/12 - I got mine out of storage today then I tightened the bolts that mount the air conditioner.

4/4/12 - Bought oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air cleaner and a yellow top Optima battery for the house battery. Now I can work on it tomorrow. I took the power center cover off to determine if I could replace the inoperable fan with a computer fan. I lubricated the door hinges and all the outside compartment twist latches.

4/5/12 - I changed the oil and the oil filter. Then I repaired and sealed my battery compartment.

4/7/12 - I reinforced my battery box then installed an Optima yellow top house battery. I ran the generator for an hour. I ran the stove, furnace and refrigerator on LP. I replaced a clearance light.

4/8/12 - I put in a 195 degree thermostat. The previous owner had removed the thermostat. That was easier said than done and it required a blood sacrifice. I adjusted the carburetor and installed a new air cleaner. Finally I fixed the slide mechanism on the driver's seat.

4/9/12 - I changed spark plugs, started fixing the retractable step and measured up the exhaust system.

4/11/12 - Yesterday, I drove 60 miles to get exhaust supplies and a computer fan for my converter. Today, I replaced the exhaust system from the Y pipe back including a new muffler.

4/12/12 - I cleaned the top half of the driver's side, washed it twice with Scrubbing Bubbles, applied Meguiars No. 49 Oxidation Remover then polished it with Nu Finish.

4/13/12 - I cleaned the top half of the passenger's side, washed it twice with Scrubbing Bubbles, applied Meguiars No. 49 Oxidation Remover, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol then polished it with Nu Finish.

4/14/12 - I checked the timing then buttoned up the doghouse. I tested the circuits of the converter and distribution panel. I made sure my house battery was charging when the engine was running. I ran the refrigerator on LP and the generator.

4/16/12 - I ran my furnace so I could work inside. It was snowing and blowing outside but I was comfortable working. I mounted then wired a computer fan and lighted toggle switch into the converter compartment. I will manually turn on the fan whenever I am hooked to shore power to cool the converter.

4/17/12 - I starting fixing my clearance lights then spent time looking for affordable LED light strips to replace them. No luck. I cut, drilled and installed angle iron supports on my entry step to reinforce it and make it level again.

4/18/12 - I bought a TV and GPS for it.

4/19/12 - Today I updated the map on my GPS. Then I downloaded a map program from Garmin and manually planned out 2 routes from Merrill, WI to Phoenix, AZ.

4/20/12 - I updated my laptop computer so I can take it on the road. I removed the spring loaded plastic wedges attached to the cab doors. I think they were some sort of anti-rattle device that did not work. I adjusted the door hinges and repositioned the latch posts to eliminate the door rattles. I installed an adjustable cup holder that I found in the RV on the doghouse panel so I can use large size cups for my coffee.

4/21/12 - I cleaned the bottom half of the driver's side, washed it twice with Scrubbing Bubbles, applied Meguiars No. 49 Oxidation Remover, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol then polished it with Nu Finish. I painted my entry step reinforcement pieces.

4/22/12 - I reassembled my air conditioner. I washed all the cabinets and appliances inside and out. Then I had to remove all my tools and repair supplies so I can take it for new tires tomorrow.

4/23/12 - I took it in for 6 new tires and a transmission flush. I will pick it up tomorrow. I wanted them to recharge the air conditioner but since it still uses R12 they couldn't do it.

4/24/12 - I ordered a retro fit kit from Amazon yesterday after I found out they couldn't convert it. Today, Amazon informed me the order was cancelled because the kit is banned in Wisconsin.

I picked up the RV today after it got new 6 new tires, wheel bearings packed and a transmission flush. I flushed the winter antifreeze from the water system and fresh water tank then filled my water tank. I started my gas water heater to make sure it still worked after my repairs last fall.

4/26/12 - I started taking my climate control box apart until I realized I would have to take the entire dash apart to remove it. My heater core is leaking. I drilled 2 inspection holes and am debating cutting an access hole in the front of the box. I extended my exhaust pipe 2 inches. I mounted the reinforcement brackets to my entry step. I checked the tire pressure on all my new tires to make sure they are holding air.

4/27/12 - I cut an access hole in my heater box then removed the heater core. I had to drive into town for a new heater core so installation will have to wait until tomorrow. I had extra keys made for the RV as long as I was in town.

4/28/12 - I installed the new heater core and new heater hoses. Then I started to clean up my stinky antifreeze everywhere mess.

4/29/12 - I cleaned the bathroom and decided where I am going to mount my TV.

4/30/12 - I converted the air conditioning system from R12 to R134. Retro kits are now legal in Wisconsin. It was too cold to charge it completely as the pressure chart didn't have a low enough temperature listed. The kit I bought from Napa was remarkably simple. Then I started replacing the bolts in my wheel covers because the allen bolt heads are stripped out. This took way longer than anticipated. It is extremely difficult to remove the existing bolts but it is better to do it in the driveway than on the road.

5/1/12 - I got an alignment for the RV. It made a noticeable difference. I got all the bolts out of my wheel covers, retapped the threads and install new bolts.

5/2/12 - I finished charging the air conditioning system. I sanded off rust then painted my shore power cover's latch. I remounted a broken drawer rail. I tuned the generator and checked output with the AC running on maximum and the refrigerator running on electric. I need to buy a new air cleaner for the generator.

5/4/12 - I glued some side molding where it was coming loose. I put a new air cleaner on my Onan generator then ran it. I mounted my 19" flat screen TV. I changed all 4 shock absorbers.

5/5/12 - I upgraded my headlights and fixed a wiring problem in my blinker / parking lap circuit. I repaired some broken plastic pieces in the front grill. I wired the TV then washed all the screens and windows.

5/6/12 - I changed the side marker light bulbs. Then I replaced burnt out bulbs inside and repaired the closet light. I eliminated the trailer wiring harness. I vacuumed the inside and started loading supplies for our trip to Arizona.

5/8/12 - I installed new mud flaps, repaired an electrode on my refrigerator, changed a section of fuel line on my generator, installed new wipers, mounted a towel rack in the bathroom and replaced the light in my closet area with one that has a bigger and brighter light bulb.

5/10/12 - I check the differential oil and greased the RV then finished packing. I am leaving for Sedona, AZ tomorrow.

5/22/12 - We just got back from an 11 day road trip to Phoenix, AZ. We put on 4173 miles at 59 miles per hour. Yesterday was the the longest run of 839 miles because we wanted to get home.

I met these people in Sedona. They have traveled the world in their expedition vehicle. They were extremely nice and interesting people. They were headed to Alaska after he made a guest speaker appearance at the Expedition Expo in Flagstaff. Information about their travels and vehicle are on various pages of the link below.

http://www.guidebooks.com.au/about.htm

5/23/12 - I applied Eternabond roof tape to seal the bathroom vent and a roof seam.

5/27/12 - I removed the stick on wide angle mirrors then mounted separate wide angle mirrors below the regular mirrors. The field of vision is greatly improved. Next I replaced the license plate lamp.

5/28/12 - I replaced my steering wheel dimmer switch with a floor mounted switch since it was acting up. I took the dash apart to replace the high beam bulb.

5/29/12 - I removed the roof rack. I scrapped off all the old putty, cleaned the area with Scrubbing Bubbles, then acetone, applied Marine Goop to the holes and covered it with Eternabond roof tape.

5/31/12 - I scraped the old caulk off the roof rails.

6/1/12 - I applied Eternabond roof tape to the roof rails. Now I need to clean and paint the roof.

I am thinking about using Advanced Epoxy Systems AES-125, 2-part Flexible Epoxy Coating System, WHITE Color.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16827
68 REPLIES 68

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I got it home from storage 2 weeks ago. I bought a class A at the same time so I haven't worked on this one. Today I ran the generator and aired up all the tires.

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
Are you for hire two days in March? For free maybe ๐Ÿ˜‰
Great job. Wish I had that much energy.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I may still take everything off the top and design then install a roof that doesn't trap water. This year I plan to use it more and work on it less.

aaron7
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished reading all 7 pages! So awesome! I can't wait to dig in to my RV like you did and hoping to find one just like yours!

Sounds like the roof leaks were the biggest labor part of all this. Looking back at the entire project would you recommend a different plan of action? Taking everything off the top and resealing it all at once?

Can't wait to see what you do to it this year!

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I put the RV into storage for the winter.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an Optima yellow top as the chassis battery today. Of course, the hold down bolt was rusted in place and broke off. It couldn't break flush but had to leave a small stub. I like the GM battery mount so I had to drill the bolt out. The small stub introduced an annoying complication and the drill barely fit but it is done now.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the valve stem extensions on the passenger's side rear wheels. I had a slow leak from the inside wheel and this fixed it. I drained the water heater and water tank. I winterized the water lines with antifreeze. I ran the generator for an hour.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I applied the final third coat of Hengs Elastomeric roof coating to half of the roof.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I applied the second coat of Hengs Elastomeric roof coating to half of the roof.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I applied the first coat of Hengs Elastomeric roof coating to half of the roof.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I finished applying Eternabond roof tape to all the roof seams.

Boujei
Explorer
Explorer
Great work Magik....bet you're glad you didn't have to start with just a cab and frame like me! Hoping to get the other section of wall done tomorrow before work.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday, I finished siding, caulking and staining the north side of my garage. I used left over siding from the house. Much of it was scrap so I had to cut out bad sections and work with bowed or twisted boards. I still have to buy and install the trim boards.

Today, it was back to working on the RV. I scraped the old caulk from the vent pipe, installed new screws and sealed it with Marine Goop. I patched another section of roof using staples to hold down the cracks, Marine Goop to seal it then covering with Eternabond roof tape. The damaged sections of my roof were from roof carriers. I do not understand why anyone would use them on top of a RV. Finally, I cleaned the passenger side edge so I can apply Eternabond roof tape tomorrow.

John_and_Marsha
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Magik235, thank you for the pictures and description of your project. It was inspirational.