cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making your own water filtering system

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I have an onboard water filter in my Super C but still use a charcoal external filter at the hydrant. I'm going to eliminate the existing one in the MH as it is not in a really good location especially when winterizing and is not the type of filtering I'm looking for

For the folks that have built their own setup would you please show me your system that you have built and what filters you are using?

Thanks
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View
4 REPLIES 4

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
I just saw a YouTube video on "life hacks". How filtration was done over a hundred years ago. Sounded pretty simple.

Take a container with a hole in the bottom. Add a few inches of 1/2 inch stone. On top of that, add smaller stone, on top of that, even finer stone, on top of that, even finer, on top of that sand.

Now, just run water through it from the top! (Hey! it worked 100 years ago and sounds like it costs nothing!).

This is reasonable for filtering out dirt and similar debris (assuming you start with clean, sanitary stones and sand). It's entirely ineffective against dissolved chemicals or microbial pathogens, or nearly so.

In the US, the public water supply is almost universally safe to drink, so a sand filter might be an appropriate choice. There are plenty of simple commercial filters available that would do the same thing just as well. In a place where the water is unfit to drink (as in it will make you sick), neither of these would be at all appropriate.

bg71361
Explorer
Explorer

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have a problem with the water supply, just the external charcoal filter should be enough. Just change the filter occasionally.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw a YouTube video on "life hacks". How filtration was done over a hundred years ago. Sounded pretty simple.

Take a container with a hole in the bottom. Add a few inches of 1/2 inch stone. On top of that, add smaller stone, on top of that, even finer stone, on top of that, even finer, on top of that sand.

Now, just run water through it from the top! (Hey! it worked 100 years ago and sounds like it costs nothing!).