cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manufacturers

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Who are some of top Class C mfgrs? We now have a 5th wheel but have considered a Class A in our future but thought I'd look at Cs too , but know nothing about them. TIA!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
17 REPLIES 17

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Mama wrote:
Who are some of top Class C mfgrs? We now have a 5th wheel but have considered a Class A in our future but thought I'd look at Cs too , but know nothing about them. TIA!

You didn't say what your budget might be.

However, money not being a problem, here's what I consider the best Class C line of motorhomes ("standard" Class C motorhomes - not "Expedition" Class C motorhomes) available in the United States ... but you have be ready to pay for them:

For a kindof "small size" Class C, here it is:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/model-221xl.php

For a kindof "medium size" Class C, here it is:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/model-272xl.php
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well.....I too have to provide some input.

The Phoenix Cruiser B+ Lineup offers 9 different floor plans to choose from, offered with one to 3 slide outs. Some models are offered on the E350 AND Sprinter, the longer ones on the E450, all with a 4x4 option. The company works close with the customer to get them what they want, and just as important, not getting what they don't want. PCs are not mega-sized rigs by design. This makes all PCs easier to drive with good aerodynamics for better handling and easier maneuverability. A little smaller in width & height along with gel-coat fiberglass vacuum bonded construction makes for a very solid structure. No worries over split seam work or other quality concerns.

If looking at older used PCs, get familiar with the available model year options applied to the rig of interest. A few I love in our 2007 is the whole-house 2000 watt inverter with two house batteries, and thermal pane windows which makes it so much like home with function and quiet comfort.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:

We have been seeing alot of Coachmen Freelanders , Freedom Elites , Mini Winnie's ,Four Winds , SunSeekers etc and we just keep going back (comparing) to the Nexus..

Seems like every one we have looked at no matter what brand from 2005 back have water leak stains overhead cab area and or around the A/C and vents ceiling areas ....

I'm not criticizing Nexus (we saw and really liked their 25P) but Nexus has only been around since 2010 I believe. Comparing 2005 and older motorhomes, and their water leak stains,to a considerably newer Nexus isn't really fair.

If you interpreted I was comparing Nexus to 2005 and older MH's ?
I didn't mean to imply that I was comparing the older ones to the newer Nexus..

First paragraph comparing to the other brands we have seen.

Second paragraph is where I stated any brand 2005 and older had the water leak stains , so no I wasn't comparing them to the Nexus , just made a statement saying every single one 2005 and older had water leak stains.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:

We have been seeing alot of Coachmen Freelanders , Freedom Elites , Mini Winnie's ,Four Winds , SunSeekers etc and we just keep going back (comparing) to the Nexus..

Seems like every one we have looked at no matter what brand from 2005 back have water leak stains overhead cab area and or around the A/C and vents ceiling areas ....

I'm not criticizing Nexus (we saw and really liked their 25P) but Nexus has only been around since 2010 I believe. Comparing 2005 and older motorhomes, and their water leak stains,to a considerably newer Nexus isn't really fair.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hack your post , but I gotta say just the time we spent looking at the used 2013 23P driving it and just looking how it was built. Then going and looking at other brands, most , there is no comparison !
There are two on their website.
Before Christmas I was emailing with a salesguy and had talked with him on the phone and the next day Dave Middleton actually called and we talked for abit.

They were trying to get us into one, it was loaded and yes a very good deal , but it had a couple major things we didn't want mainly the entertainment center taking up the overhead cab space..
If it didn't have that I think I would have pulled the trigger on it..
But yes we will keep looking for a Nexus !

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Fleetwood line, quality and features vary somewhat with model/ price. We have a 2004 Tioga 26Q that has been OK. Most brands/models use same brands of appliances, roof A/C, furnaces, etc. reqardless. Open drawers and cabinets and look at how things are joined, glue and screws, staples, etc. Lazy Daze emphasizes good joinery/cabinetry, roof construction and materials. Expect to pay $10K+ more (new) for high-end rated rigs, may get better price when/if you resell. Roof A/C, fridge, water pumps etc. last about 10 years, regardless of brands. Most rigs are built using high speed assembly, not really owner DIY friendly. Take your time doing homework and negotiate carefully, don't buy on impulse.

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
BIGD629 , you scored on that one !! Good for you !

And of coarse who ever is taking the pictures for the RV places takes them just right to not show the problem spots !

Thanks! I really didn't know anything about Nexus, until I saw ours in the add. The full body paint caught my eye, so I stated researching them. Still was hard to buy sight unseen, but our salesman was great! He sent tons of currant photos and assured me that they wouldn't have me fly 1000 miles to be disappointed. And we sure weren't! I had to remove some plastic protective covering off the TV's and Microwave, that were left on from new! And the generator only had 1.5hrs on it! Also I was able to use flying 1000 miles as a negotiating tactic to get them down to 52K.

I would highly recommend Nexus, the quality is far superior to anything we had looked at. You should keep looking, I have seen a few on there website for sale, not as low as we paid for ours but still a good deal. Good Luck
2005 Foretravel U270,36', 400HP Cummins ISL
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
BIGD629 , you scored on that one !! Good for you !

And of coarse who ever is taking the pictures for the RV places takes them just right to not show the problem spots !

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
BigD629 wrote:
X2 for Nexus. We bought our 2013 Nexus Phantom 28P last May. It was slightly used (2600 miles)for $52,000. Deals are out there, just have to be ready when they come up.

How the heck did you get that deal ??? Good for you !
Did you get it from Nexus or another RV dealer ??

We sold our 2001 GS 22ft and started looking at 22-24ft with a rear bed.
Never heard of Nexus and the 1st place we stopped at had a 2013 Nexus 23P
Tried to deal with them but they were asking too much.
From then on every RV place we have been at we keep comparing every one to how the Nexus was built...

It seems pretty much anything under $30K is old and has water damage !
At least what we have seen.
Also the 19-25Ft appears to be a premium priced hot item for under $50K!
For the same $50K we could get a 29-32FT for what we were seeing the 19-25ft lengths ...

Like DC said find one of the ones mentioned above and push, pull, open close, lay on the beds , then when you look at the lower brands you know instantly what we're talking about "quality" BUT DAM it comes at a cost too ๐Ÿ˜ž !!

We started looking at what was available locally, and like you all we found was older, high priced units. My wife suggested raising the budget! That's when I expanded my search. Did a search on RVT for under $60K and our Nexus popped up at Camping World in Chicago! After lots of due diligence and negotiation we flew up and bought it. Kind of scary as this was our first RV. But this was practically brand new, and compared to what we had looked at seemed far too good to be true. I can say we are very happy with the quality of Nexus and have had no issues at all with it. I love the full body paint and Bigfoot levelers. Ours is still being used for the gallery pictures on there website, which made it easier to check it out. Plus I had the dealer take recent photos.
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
BigD629 wrote:
X2 for Nexus. We bought our 2013 Nexus Phantom 28P last May. It was slightly used (2600 miles)for $52,000. Deals are out there, just have to be ready when they come up.

How the heck did you get that deal ??? Good for you !
Did you get it from Nexus or another RV dealer ??

We sold our 2001 GS 22ft and started looking at 22-24ft with a rear bed.
Never heard of Nexus and the 1st place we stopped at had a 2013 Nexus 23P
Tried to deal with them but they were asking too much.
From then on every RV place we have been at we keep comparing every one to how the Nexus was built...

It seems pretty much anything under $30K is old and has water damage !
At least what we have seen.
Also the 19-25Ft appears to be a premium priced hot item for under $50K!
For the same $50K we could get a 29-32FT for what we were seeing the 19-25ft lengths ...

Like DC said find one of the ones mentioned above and push, pull, open close, lay on the beds , then when you look at the lower brands you know instantly what we're talking about "quality" BUT DAM it comes at a cost too ๐Ÿ˜ž !!

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coach House Class C (IMHO mistakenly called a B+ sometimes), they are well built and a good used one can be purchased for around $50K, check with PPL over in Houston or dealers down in FL for best selection. I've always liked the Chinook Class C's too, they had good quality, too bad they quit making them about ten years ago. Born Free are real good units too. Super C's are great units, but for us they are way too big, and there really aren't many used ones for sale as that size is relatively new in the marketplace.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
If you can, take the factory tours. That told us which manufactures gave us the warm fuzzies, and which didn't. One (I believe it was one of the many Fleetwood brands) was even made in Mexico. We stayed away from that factory! lol

Once you narrow it down to two or three of your favorite manufactures and find some floorplans to your liking,, check out the warranties, and pick one with at least a two year warranty. That says a lot about how much faith that a manufacturer places in their own product.

There are a lot of good ones out there... we've had Coachman, StarCraft, Keystone, Celebrity, and Jayco.

Good luck!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
OP here... We probably would be interested in a nice used unit....under. $50K if that's doable! LOL! Not real serious at this time but I like to educate myself for future reference. And yes, slide outs in any unit are a must have for us.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT