cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many chassis functions not working

FloridaJohn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Forest River Reflection on a Spartan chassis. I was traveling from Florida to Ohio, and after stopping for a break at a rest area, I noticed the turn signals and brake lights didn't work (they worked prior to stopping). That is all I noticed at that time, but now it appears that all functions that depend on the ignition switch being on are not working, except for engine, transmission and gauges. The vent fan was working after the turn signals stopped working, but that fan doesn't work now. Just a few of the other things that are not working: wipers, electric mirror adjustment, radio, power seat, slide out, leveling jacks, reverse camera.

After reading this forum and other stuff on the internet, I think the prime suspect is the ignition relay. Does anyone have other suggestions? Does anyone know where the ignition relay is located?
3 REPLIES 3

FloridaJohn
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: I found the ignition relay. It is behind the printed circuit board in the Battery Control Center box. I took it all apart and checked the relay by applying 12 V to the coil. It worked and there is a near dead short across the relay. Because of the design, I can't check the relay with everything connected. When I put it back together, still had the problem. Then I started checking the coil voltage. In doing that, I mistakenly left a wire disconnected, then it worked. I connected the wire, and it still worked. I know I didn't fix anything, so I probably will replace the ignition coil. That took care of most of the malfunctions. The turn signals and brake lights still are not functioning. They work off a Bussman panel as sailor_lou described, but it is a small panel, maybe 4" X 4". I checked the fuses, and they are ok. There are three cable groups, with multiple wires, and two 12V supply lines going to that panel. I don't have any wiring schematics for that box, and it is mounted so that I can't wire chase. Tomorrow, I'll try some more things, but I may be near the end of my troubleshooting with the limited information I have. Thanks sailor_lou and teddyu for your help.

teddyu
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a Spartan chassis, but if multiple things have now failed, not all at once, I would suspect the common source, the ignition switch, vice multiple relays failing nearly simultaneously. I would check any connection between the power source, ignition switch, and the relays. I looked at my schematics for my Ford, one power source to the switch (one wire) with multiple outputs (3 wires) to the various relays. Hope this helps forumlating a troubleshooting plan. JM2¢...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I have a different rig, but also on a Spartan chassis. I agree your problem sounds like an ignition relay and on mine there are a couple relays identified as Ign1, Ign2, etc. located on a Bussman fuse panel in an electrical compartment just forward of the drivers side front tire. I can't help you as to where Forest River may have located the panel, but on mine it is a good size panel (about 12" x 10") so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy