cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin vs Toyo tires

NOWANTSNOWARRAN
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased 2006 Monaco La Palma. 24,000 miles. Great coach. Had Michelin tires on it but datd code was 2005. I did a lot of internet research and bought some Toyo m154's. The coach was a great driver on Michelin's. I drove home after the change and it was terrible. Wandered and rear swayed terribly. Did another internet search and learned about sway bars, quick fixes and safe t steer. I checked under the motor home and was disappointed to discover a safe t steer and upgraded anti sway bar.

Did I screw up? I'm considering going back to Michelins. This was a really expensive mistake if I have to replace the Toyos. Any thoughts?
33 REPLIES 33

Bruce_Brown
ArchHoagland wrote:
Did you check the tire pressure? Over inflated brand new tires will do that.

On my 2004 La Palma with Michelins I run 90lb all the way around. Based on my weight the tire pressure chart calls for 85 front and 80 rear so I add a bit for a margin of error.

This.

Also how many miles have you driven them? Sometimes new tires need to get some miles on them to get scrubbed in a little. I was on the road for 30 years, new snow tires never drove good for the first 500-1000 miles.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the tire pressure? Over inflated brand new tires will do that.

On my 2004 La Palma with Michelins I run 90lb all the way around. Based on my weight the tire pressure chart calls for 85 front and 80 rear so I add a bit for a margin of error.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
22 years on 3 set of Michelins,, never a problem.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had exactly the very same experience. Originally ran a set of Toyos and they were fine and after they wore out, bought another set. They were all over the road immediately and I went back to the dealer and they installed a more expensive steel belted radial Toyo tire and they too wandered all over the road.

Finally, out of total exasperation, I bought a set of Michelin XPS steel belted radials and they run PERFECT.

Many people will swear that the Toyos are the only tires to have but I know what I know and I don't have time to be chasing the "right tires". I know what works and what doesn't.

On a side note, I was told that tires, when new, need time to break in and once they are, will not be squirrely.And yes, my rv already had newer Bilstein shocks and Helwig sway bars.