Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mill Hall PA to Winchester VA.

varna
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I have had such good luck getting answers to my travel questions here that I'm asking another one for this year. I will be traveling from Mill Hall PA to Winchester VA I will be taking rt 99 south to rt 70 east. At Hancock MD the direct route would be taking 522 south through Berkley Springs to Winchester. I see that I could also stay on rt 70 east and go to rt 81 south and head down. My question is rt 522. How is that route for driving a 35 foot motorhome at night? I am in no great hurry to get to Winchester but do enjoy a relaxing drive. I have no problem driving further if it means more relaxing. Of course, there is a point to going way out of the way.
So, which way do you folks that know these roads think I should take? I just don't enjoy driving on winding mountain type roads, especially at night, if I don't necessarily have to. In the end, I can and will drive most any road I "have" to.
So, how is rt 522 in that area?
Thanks
Vic
10 REPLIES 10

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
It's Virginia...there are deer everywhere, all the time. It's just easier to see them during the daylight hours.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
i do not have any issue driving 522 as I live in the winchester area. If you are going at night then there are deer there bu there are deer on the interstate too.

I would get fuel down at I think it is 272 at the Sheetz it is cheaper then the flying J Usually.

If it is daylight out take 522 and you will save miles.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Hawk7
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to take I80 south, be very cautious when approaching Exit 23 in Falling waters, West Virginia. There are 3 lanes that start right there and the road curves. There seem to be a lot of accidents there. The three lanes end at exit 12 in Martinsburg.
2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
if you wanted a completely leisurely ride - route 11 would be it...but its gonna be SLOW, lots of small towns. RT 11 parallels i81 so you can hop on / off as you desire.

you could pickup 340 at winchester & run thru Front Royal & into Luray....once your in Luray you could cut over to i81 via 211.

211 on that side of Luray isn't bad, a little twisty but not bad (much easier than the other side which takes you toward sperryville - which i would NOT recommend in a coach).

alternatively you could continue down 340 to Elkton & cut over to i81 on rt. 33 or just keep on 340 down to Waynesboro & cut over one rt 250 to Stanton there.

the ride down 340 is very nice - mostly 2 lane til Luray and then it opens up some - and then transitions back down to 2 lane outside of Luray - BUT - traffic isn't too bad usually on 340.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've taken 522 in my coach but during the day and prefer 522 rather the interstate thru Martinsburg and Hagerstown but doing a night run could be problematic if the deer are out. The road thru West Virginia is two lane but widens to four in Virginia. A few hills and bends that could pop up without warning in the dark if your right foot is a bit heavy. Also on just across the Virginia line a a couple of easy fuel stops that will handle a class A without a problem.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

varna
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
the OP doesnt mention his destination in Winchester....but i might suggest (if time permits) a visit to the Shenandoah River State Park - we stay there occasionally, slots are big & 50a power & water (no sewer, but they do have dump tanks), the park has lots of trails, a zip line & some very nice laundry/shower facilities, its close to the entrance of the Skyline Drive, several caverns (skyline & luray) and its only 9 miles from Front Royal (30 mi to winchester).

Actually, my final destination on the night of travel will be in Staunton VA just to overnight and continue on to Oliver Springs TN the next morning. Just didn't know how 522 was.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably do the 70 to 81 drive because I feel although longer, it will be "easier".
Thanks
Again.
Vic

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
jeomelia wrote:
70/81 since the Winchester FlyingJ is usually the 1st cheaper fuel on the way South

Im formerly from that area - I wouldn't wanna run 522 at night in a coach - too many deer

+1 for the Flying J at Clearbrook, Va - usually the cheapest diesel in the area....AND they have an RV lane.

the OP doesnt mention his destination in Winchester....but i might suggest (if time permits) a visit to the Shenandoah River State Park - we stay there occasionally, slots are big & 50a power & water (no sewer, but they do have dump tanks), the park has lots of trails, a zip line & some very nice laundry/shower facilities, its close to the entrance of the Skyline Drive, several caverns (skyline & luray) and its only 9 miles from Front Royal (30 mi to winchester).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
70/81 since the Winchester FlyingJ is usually the 1st cheaper fuel on the way South
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
522 is a two-lane road that turns into four lanes after 20 miles or so. Yes, it can get pretty dark out there at night. There are some hills and curves but not bad/sharp. There is one sort-or narrow bridge but that should not be a problem. Semis go over it.

We have taken that road many times in our SUV and although we have not driven it in our 42' motorhome, we wouldn't hesitate to take that route.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years we have traveled both ways. Since we have no real reason to use 522 these days we have been going 70/81.

522 is a little hilly and curvy in places while the 70/81 choice is obviously further and considerably busier at most times. Since I've gotten older and night vision isn't as sharp as it used to be my choice for night would be the longer interstate route, but there is no reason that 522 is difficult in a 35 ft coach.