cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome storage

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about storing our motorhome out of state in an enclosed storage facility for three months. My concern is not being able to exercise the generator or take the MH out for a drive which I typically do monthly. Would that be a problem?
3 REPLIES 3

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We store our motor home indoors in our winter heated garage off season for over 6 months at a time without starting either engine. Eight years so far and all is well. The same story when I owned seasonal sports cars, and also the same with my lawn tractor and related equipment. All is well with them too.

I recommend disconnecting all your batteries during storage.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's nice to exercise them, but it's not a must. Look at all of the MHs stored in the northern states where it's way too cold to start them for 4 - 5 months. We store ours in AZ for 4 - 6 months at a time.

What is more important is having a true complete battery disconnect as Genecop does or else disconnect your battery terminals to make sure nothing is putting a parasitic draw on the batteries while you're gone. Nothing like getting off a plane to pick up the MH and having to deal with dead batteries.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, we have been doing that for the last six years, we store 2-3 months, no problem...I have a full battery disconnect with a solar charger on the chassis batteries. I also leave my diesel tanks at least 3/4 full, and run a stabilizer through the engine and generator....