cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt Rushmore

Raloma
Explorer
Explorer
Planning trip from Salt Lake City Utah to Mt Rushmore what is a RV friendly route? Wife doesn't like switch backs in motor home. Some curves are ok but nothing drastic.
9 REPLIES 9

Raloma
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all of the help. It gives me som options.
Raloma

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We drove our 40 footer all the way into the parking lot at the monument, they have a lot just for big coaches. really wasn't the bad.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Raloma wrote:
We will take the Jeep up to the monument and crazy horse, so that won't be a problem. just looking for a route that will be an easy drive,for motorhome while towing.
If your close to I-90 take it to Rapid City! I always stay at the KOA up on the hill in Rapid City.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you aren't pulling a toad it would be a good place to rent one. Rafter J Bar had rental cars the last time we were there. It is still my favorite CG i the area.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Head 80 east to Rawlings and cut over to Casper (rt 287 an 220) to I-25 south to 18 at Orin and head to Lusk staying on 18 going north to Mule Creek Junction from there it depends on where you are going (Camp at).

If you go to Cheyenne it will add about 100 miles vs the cut off to casper. Google map it.

If staying in the Custer or Hill City area stay on 18 (east at the junction) go past Edgemont up into Custer or Hill City. You can also go up to Newcastle and then east to Custer. A couple years ago the road to Custer from Newcastle had a lot of the curves and road widened so should be not a bad road now

If going to Rapid City (KOA) it probably would be best to go over to Hot Springs and get on 79 north to Rapid. The other route will get you there but you will hit very heavy traffic.

Almost any way you go there will be ups and downs and some curves but not bad.

I have taken all those routes in my 40 foot MH pulling a Jeep

jimR

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
from salt lake city:
east on I 80 to Sidney NE. 385 north to Custer, SD. or continue north on 385 to Hill City, SD, a bit closer to Rushmore.
Alternate route:
I 80 to Cheyenne, north on I 25 to 85, then north to Newcastle then east on 16 to Custer, but there is one short curvy bit, a few miles.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Raloma
Explorer
Explorer
We will take the Jeep up to the monument and crazy horse, so that won't be a problem. just looking for a route that will be an easy drive,for motorhome while towing.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Raloma wrote:
Planning trip from Salt Lake City Utah to Mt Rushmore what is a RV friendly route? Wife doesn't like switch backs in motor home. Some curves are ok but nothing drastic.

She's not going to like the road up to the monument, ๐Ÿ™‚
X-2, or the road to Crazy Horse just up the road!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Raloma wrote:

She's not going to like the road up to the monument, ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.