My camper van

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
2017 GMC Savana Cargo Van
4.8 L V8 6 speed auto transmission 3.42 rear end
PS, PB cruse control, PW and locks

I installed a trailer tow package
I converted the van into a camper van with a port a potty closet, a double bed at the rear, two cabinets with a drop leaf on the cabinet by the sliding door and with lots of storage under the bed.
I insulated and paneled and add 5 LED lights . Two Maxxfans .
I wired up a extra battery and a vent system for the battery and a fuse box for the fans and lights.
I installed a simple 110 ac setup to run a small elect heater and a battery charger for the battery when camped with electric at a campground.

The van will be used for one or two days trips and will be use to tow our 17’ Casita trailer for longer trips

J herb
20 REPLIES 20

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
J herb wrote:
I have added a Renogy 5W 12V Portable Solar Panel Battery Maintainer Trickle Charger with Lighter Plug, Alligator Clips, and Battery Cables that came with it......

I like your thinking. It sounds like something I would come up with for my van!

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
I have added a Renogy 5W 12V Portable Solar Panel Battery Maintainer Trickle Charger with Lighter Plug, Alligator Clips, and Battery Cables
that came with it. click

I hard wired it right to the battery with the plug, using the lighter plug would loose contact at times. Use the solar panel when the van is not being used, I take it down when using the van.

solar panel upper left hand side of windshield

Plug in under dash
J herb

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
Love the van!

Thank You goreds2
The van is for short trips or when I go by myself, we have a 17' Casita trailer for longer trips that we tow with the van.
J herb

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Love the van!
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
lee mayhan wrote:
Good looking van.

Lee! Thank You.
J herb

lee_mayhan
Explorer
Explorer
Good looking van.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Got my Rt. seat swivel yesterday and installed it! thanks to Mike over at Black 95 for all the great info and the pictures.
We have the same seats so with Mikes write up it went well and I'm happy to be able to use my seat at the camp site, I didn't add pictures as Mike has the same ones on his postings.
J herb

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, more pictures of my van build.
my new running boards passenger side

drivers side

my two Maxfans

a place to put a snack while looking out the front windshield the tray slips in and out quick and stores behind the drivers sest.

my storage at the rear
J herb

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Beautiful build! We have a Transit that I did the very-basic conversion to - it makes the greatest sightseeing/touring vehicle! We have a tendency to drive places where larger RV's really shouldn't go, like Glacier's "Going-to-the-Sun" road

Do you have a forum posting that has pictures of your van and your modifications? I seem to have missed it. Please send me the link. Thanks. I am always looking for new ideas for my van. I like to keep mine pretty standard on the outside to do the same thing you do in going to places that bigger RV's can not go.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Beautiful build! We have a Transit that I did the very-basic conversion to - it makes the greatest sightseeing/touring vehicle! We have a tendency to drive places where larger RV's really shouldn't go, like Glacier's "Going-to-the-Sun" road

Thank You for the nice comment,
I have seen you build on your other postings and yes you have a nice build for your trips. I take trips by myself when my wife wants to stay home and work in her flower beds. We have a Casita trailer that we tow with the van for longer trips, will be going camping soon with the van.
J herb

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
OP here! thanks everyone for the nice words.
J herb

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Black'95 wrote:
Your layout is well done and looks much more professional than mine. Most of my modifications are done with the idea that I can pull everything out, put the passenger seats back in (mine was originally a passenger van) and there would be no holes left in the van. I used the floor seat mounting brackets to anchor my kitchen unit and bed frome. And that is exactly what I did when I purchased my newer 2018 model and sold my old 2001 LT passenger van. In fact, I advertised the 2001 in the morning and by supper it was sold,

Keep posting your modifications. I love to look at what others have
done.

Thanks for the nice words! not professional but home done and I would do something different. The weather is going to be nice for a few days so I will wash the van and than take a picture of my just installed running boards.
J herb

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Try this-

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Thank You for the info and I finely figured it out as you can see.
J herb