cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My DW says I'm anal/OCD.....am I?

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Been getting the rig ready for a big trip. I've taken care of all maintenance and fixed everything that wasn't right. Lubed the chassis, wire brushed rust and painted it, fixed a cracked water fitting, replaced a drawer catch, serviced the air dryer, etc. However, since buying our Journey last fall, one thing has bugged me: The PO had been hit with some hail and the rear radiator looked like somebody had been throwing marbles at it. Lots of bent fins!

I know it is purely aesthetics, but it bugs me whenever I look at it! So yesterday I took the rear grill off, got a chair and started the painstaking process of straightening them out. About three hours work later, it looks great. DW looks at it and says, "whatever you want to spend your time doing....but I just don't see it." My neighbor even came over to see what I was doing and rolled his eyes and said basically the same thing.

Just wondering if anybody else has done this? In the end, it is a great feeling to know everything is in top shape....at least for the time being!

Hoping everybody has a great summer, and safe travels!

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
62 REPLIES 62

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff,
There's absolutely noting wrong with your approach to achieve satisfaction with your rig. Everyone's got ideas on what's right for them. I have seen things worn out, broken, cracked, rusted, in sad shape, totally un-organized, and a whole lot more, on peoples cars, trucks, motorhomes, boats, motor cycles and more, for eons of time.

I've sometimes commented on some of it to my friends, "why don't you take care of that rust or, fix that broken piece of metal, or repair that part"? And many times, their answer is, "It don't bother me" "It still works don't it"? I simply forget it or, walk away. I take the same approach as you. It's not hard, most of the time, to do what you have done, which is, do a lot of simple maintenance.

When you're done, you can stand back and admire, what a nice, clean, well taken care of, WELL WORKING, rig you have. It's a matter of PRIDE! I don't call it ANAL, I simply call it, PRIDE. I applaud you for your actions. These rolling Kleenex boxes are too darned expensive to let them get into a state of disrepair and bad condition. Keep up the good work.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
they make a comb to help make it very easy to do that. get it at a auto parts store. would have taken you 5 minutes.

Hey old guy,

A comb wouldn't have worked on this. They were mashed over into hemispheres so bad you couldn't tell what was what. I had to pick at them with a sharp knife tip to start to separate the separate fins. A comb will be good to do the fine tuning on them now, though! Thanks for the advice.

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
they make a comb to help make it very easy to do that. get it at a auto parts store. would have taken you 5 minutes.