cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Jamboree Build

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
For a long time I have wanted to buy a small Class C motorhome that I could use throughout Colorado for riding events as well as outings with my 2 kids.

As time went by, I decided to buy a used vehicle and hopefully one that was based on a Chevrolet. It needed to fit in my driveway and have 3 sleeping areas - a bed in the back, one over the cab and a dinette that converts to a bed. That way each of my kids (or 2 riding buds) has their own sleeping space.

It also had to have-

- a generator
- a standup shower
- propane heat
- a kitchen
- cab and coach air conditioning

So I found a 2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B on Craigslist in Palm Springs, California and it looked like a good deal. During telephone negotiations I found out that the seller was a "sailboat guy" who installed a wood burning heater in the coach. This worried me some and because of this the price agreed to was lowered as I just planned on removing it. More on this later.

So I jumped on a Frontier Airlines jet and flew to Palm Springs to make the deal. That's Kenosha Pass leading into South Park (yes, THAT South Park, CO)-

and The Black Canyon just west of Gunnison, Colorado-

I arrived in Palm Springs to a beautiful 65F day, a typical clear desert day!
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B
205 REPLIES 205

DallasOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Its_Hondo wrote:
Here's a neat mod that the previous owner did to the coach- a 3 piece privacy curtain-

He made it out of thick vinyl and it snaps in place. It has heavy duty zippers to connect the 3 pieces, so you can remove the center piece to access the drivers area.

Oops, found it! I really like it!
Having a cabover lasted less than a year. Now "moving" into a 2003 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 28 foot.

DallasOregon
Explorer
Explorer
The cover, that separates the cab from the house, any idea on the brand? That would be perfect for us!
Having a cabover lasted less than a year. Now "moving" into a 2003 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 28 foot.

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
No plans to insulate it as I won't be winter camping.

When I'm hooked up to shore power I'm using the electric heater as the primary heat source and use the propane only when electric is not available.

There are 2 floor outlets.

There are other heat outlets beneath the refer.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its_Hondo wrote:
Yep, that's a heater duct in the floor. The duct is on the underneath the floor, made of sheetmetal & uninsulated (though covered with a black sealer).

Thanks much for you feedback!

I ASSUME you're going to insulate the sheetmetal ducting going to that grill??

Is that the only heater outlet grill in the floor?

Are there other heater outlets not in the floor?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Gargamel wrote:
As you can see in my photo below you're Jamboree has got nothing on this ol' girl! Just kidding. Great work on the restoration. I've learned a lot from this post! I need to do some upgrading to mine and you've given me a lot of great ideas.

I'm glad that this thread has given you some ideas! ๐Ÿ™‚

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
What's that (hot air heating?) vent in the floor by the dinette seat?

I've never seen that in a small Class C. If this is a propane furnace heating duct, then how did they run the ducting under the floor, while at the same time keeping the coach roof height low, and also insulate this ducting so that there would be very little heat loss in cold outside temperatures?

Our propane furnace distributed duct grill openings point out along the bottom of cabinets aimed horizontally along the floor surfaces, with the duct tubing to them contained within the interior so the warm duct tubing surfaces help keep the water pipes from freezing. I believe a lot of small Class C rigs have furnace hot air distribution systems similar to ours .... but could be wrong.

Yep, that's a heater duct in the floor. The duct is on the underneath the floor, made of sheetmetal & uninsulated (though covered with a black sealer).

Gargamel
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see in my photo below you're Jamboree has got nothing on this ol' girl! Just kidding. Great work on the restoration. I've learned a lot from this post! I need to do some upgrading to mine and you've given me a lot of great ideas.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's that (hot air heating?) vent in the floor by the dinette seat?

I've never seen that in a small Class C. If this is a propane furnace heating duct, then how did they run the ducting under the floor, while at the same time keeping the coach roof height low, and also insulate this ducting so that there would be very little heat loss in cold outside temperatures?

Our propane furnace distributed duct grill openings point out along the bottom of cabinets aimed horizontally along the floor surfaces, with the duct tubing to them contained within the interior so the warm duct tubing surfaces help keep the water pipes from freezing. I believe a lot of small Class C rigs have furnace hot air distribution systems similar to ours .... but could be wrong.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if there was a fire, it would set off the alarm and the door is about 8 feet away (this is a very small coach). I think that I said in a earlier post that I was planning on using a barrier to tuck between the mattress & the bed frame. A simple sheet of aluminum or plywood would suffice.

indyzmike
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am paranoid of fire hazards. That is why I do not like the electric heater mounted where the bedding can hang over it. The fire would be between you and the exit door. Looks scary to me.
2004 Coachmen Freedom 285QB Class C

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the finished table-

I used a sealer then 3 coats of polyurethane, sanded between each coat.

I think it makes the coach look much more comfortable.

๐Ÿ™‚

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Update-

I'm almost done with the new mahogany table.

Here I was laying out the mounting holes for the dual bases-

And drilling out the cupholder holes-

The 3rd coat of polyurethane has been applied & it goes back into the Jamboree tomorrow.

Today I also installed the AC & DC voltmeter panel.

In order to get to the wiring behind the wall the microwave had to be removed. I made the panel itself from a black plastic binder. It was relatively easy to cut & trim with a utility knife.

I did get the left meter a tad skewed but I'm over it- it's functions well -

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Took the Jamboree to Moab, Utah this morning- it's first trip for me.

Pretty today-

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
The Sig Marine heater is awesome.

I have used it only once but it would be my heater of choice if I was dry camping. When I am plugged in at a park I just use the electric heater.