cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Jamboree Build

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
For a long time I have wanted to buy a small Class C motorhome that I could use throughout Colorado for riding events as well as outings with my 2 kids.

As time went by, I decided to buy a used vehicle and hopefully one that was based on a Chevrolet. It needed to fit in my driveway and have 3 sleeping areas - a bed in the back, one over the cab and a dinette that converts to a bed. That way each of my kids (or 2 riding buds) has their own sleeping space.

It also had to have-

- a generator
- a standup shower
- propane heat
- a kitchen
- cab and coach air conditioning

So I found a 2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B on Craigslist in Palm Springs, California and it looked like a good deal. During telephone negotiations I found out that the seller was a "sailboat guy" who installed a wood burning heater in the coach. This worried me some and because of this the price agreed to was lowered as I just planned on removing it. More on this later.

So I jumped on a Frontier Airlines jet and flew to Palm Springs to make the deal. That's Kenosha Pass leading into South Park (yes, THAT South Park, CO)-

and The Black Canyon just west of Gunnison, Colorado-

I arrived in Palm Springs to a beautiful 65F day, a typical clear desert day!
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B
205 REPLIES 205

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Another upgrade that I'm doing is to the table.

The table that came with the Jamboree is laminated particle board. While it does serve it's purpose, it's doesn't match the rest of the mahogany woodwork.

So I ask my friend (who has a local business making fine wood products) if he could make me a table slab out of mahogany and he does it in no time.

Here it is leaning up against the garage next to the stock table-

I'll be staining & finishing it myself & making the holes for the cup holders.

More to come as that project progresses....

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Got a few things done this morning....

Had the Tireman Extended Valve Stems installed by Discount Tire on all 6 wheels today.

Cost- $60. Satisfaction knowing that checking the tire pressure is super simple now - PRICELESS.

Here's the rear without the simulator installed-

I had to tweak the outer stem a bit with a piece of tubing (under the direction of the Tireman himself) -

The font-

I also installed a GFCI outlet & all weather cover on the outside today. Unbelievably, the outside outlets were unprotected. Good to go now-

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Did a few odds & ends on the Jamboree today- washed off the winter grime, cleaned the exterior, installed an interior GFCI outlet, and installed clamps to hang up the travel/camp rake-

I need to install a 12v outlet in there to plug the compressor into.

The surge unit came in missing the remote display so I'm sending it back, another unit on the way.

Tomorrow I plan on having the Tireman extended valve Stems installed.

RedRider47
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pics, great story. Thanks for sharing. I wish I was as handy as all that and the wood stove it too cool.
It's a means to an end - Riding new roads

jonthebru
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoyed following your project, nicely detailed and explained. Happy trails.

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
When flushing the pink stuff out of the water system I found that the faucet in the kitchen was leaking.

As it was a cheepo plastic faucet, I decided to replace it with a good one.

I installed this Delta faucet & sprayer-

To mount the sprayer I did have to drill a hole in the plastic sink with a holesaw.

An upgrade that is guaranteed for life. ๐Ÿ™‚

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered a Progressive EMS-HW30C Surge Protector with Voltage Protection and Remote Display-

LINK

I plan on installing this in the shore power cord compartment. I'll install the remote display panel on the wall by the thermostat or by the electrical load center.

I also ordered a couple of small LCD voltmeters- one that will display AC volts & one DC volts. I'll be making a panel that they will mount to and installing that in the place of my current DC voltmeter that is above the information center on the wall by the coach door.

They will be controlled by a rocker switch.

These are the voltmeters that I bought from a seller on ebay, $18.00 shipped for the pair-

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Today I completed the install of the Tornado black tank sprayer.

It works very good. I filled the black tank to 3/4 full, flushed out the pink stuff and dumped the tanks locally.

Then I connected to it again at the dump station and refiled, dumped & sprayed the tank with the dump valve open.

Nice & clean!

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I just went outside and programmed in the codes for an additional 4 parameters-

- barometer in inches
- remaining oil life
- engine torque
- transmission temperature

The trans temp read on the ScanGauge is within 1F of the temp read by the sensor installed in the transmission test port. If I had known about the ScanGauge I would not installed the Glowshift Trans temp gauge- it is really easy to read though.

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the ScanGauge II today-

Super easy-

- Mount the ScanGauge with the included velcro,
- run the cable from the test port to the ScanGauge,
- Plug the cable into the test port

It fit on top of the steering column nicely-

I just moved the microphone to the right a bit (for the stereo/cell phone link)-

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, thanks for bringing up the issues that you had!

NTORACN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like its working as designed.
Its_Hondo wrote:
I also noticed that the clutch fan seemed to be keeping the engine cooler in the slow speed/high power climb up the steep grade.

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I also noticed that the clutch fan seemed to be keeping the engine cooler in the slow speed/high power climb up the steep grade.

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I also received the Kenwood remote for the stereo unit-

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Took a few minutes and installed the Derale Performance Fluid Control Thermostat for the transmission coolers.

Info HERE

The thermostat came with 4 each 3/8 NPT hose barbs-

The mount came with 4 allen head screws to mount the unit to the mount & 4 sheet metal screws to attach the mount to the truck-

I wrapped the threads with some teflon tape-

The hose barbs installed in the thermostat-

Then I mounted the thermostat to the bracket and the entire assy to the radiator support with the sheet metal screws-

The lines were cut , slipped over the barbs and secured with fuel injection clamps.

The 2 adel clamps were reused to secure the hoses. Complete setup before I installed the grill-

I took it into the mountains again and the temps were much more stable. I saw the trans temp climb more rapidly, and it climbed to 188 F in the long grade. On the way down (under no load & coasting) I saw 170F.

After leaving the expressway the temp stayed at 170 F around town.

Looks like the valve is working!