cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystry Water Leak

bzp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey MH that is in very good condition but I have just discovered some wood rot at the bottom of my wall and on a portion of the floor. I inspect and reseal my roof seams at least once per year but I did notice the sealant around the "J-seal" looked bad in a few spots. After a thorough clean-out and reseal the rotted area continues to get wet when it rains. I am quite sure this water is not coming from my roof seams. The area that gets wet is directly below where my awning support is connected to the wall of the camper so I am thinking this may be a problem. Does anyone have experience with WeatherPro awning support leaks? Do I need to disconnect the awning support to reseal or can I just caulk around the support? Your advise and ideas will be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the same rig as you do however we had a leak coming from the rear slide area and draining on the floor when the slide room was in. The slide room has a slide topper. I removed each screw that holds down the slide topper individually and then used Lexel (similar to Geocel Proflex) and pumped sealant into the screw holes. I also resealed all the flashing on the sidewall and ensured that the roof was also properly sealed. The problem is in general the OEM only uses butyl tape to seal the exposed brackets which means it eventually leaks. It may be required to remove the bracket to be able to properly seal. If you do reinstall butyl tape as an added level of insurance. I also extended the slide and removed screws on the end holding the flashing onto the rig and pumped sealant into each hole and reinstalled the screws. This helps keep out any water that may or get past the other levels of defense. I’m quite paranoid about water in my rig and chase down any possible sources of water intrusion. It takes a lot of work to chase down water leaks.
FMCA member

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a electric awning water is following the wire in the hole needs resealed