cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

N.S.A. Ready Brake

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to give a big "thumbs up" to N.S.A Ready Brake Company and to a gentleman, Bob from Washington.

I bought a new, in box Ready Brake system on ebay,from Bob. He stopped RVing before he was able to use the product. When I received the package the invoice listed the RS-5000 break away system included. Alas, no RS-5000. I contacted Bob to inform him of the missing item. He promptly contacted N.S.A. Ready Brake Company and explained what was happening. Now, Bob bought this item 2 years ago. In my opinion, N.S.A. had no real obligation to satisfy any request after that long of a period.

Well, I just received and email this morning from Sue at N.S.A. Ready Brake Company, with an attached invoice for delivery of the RS-5000 Break away system. FREE OF CHARGE. Needless to say, I'm impressed.

So, those of you looking for a braking system for your towd, please take a look at the N.S.A Braking System. I'm not pushing to sell any of their product, but I am very appreciative by their customer service and think that you will be, too.

For those wondering about my signature...we are in the hunt for a Class A. This forum is giving us some very informative information in our search. Thanks to all...
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie
34 REPLIES 34

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
TriumphGuy wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The unit is so good that I have a brand new in the box Ready Brake unit that I could NOT sell for 1/2 the cost, lifetime warranty and all. Nobody wanted it.

Wondering where you were a few months ago. I picked one up on ebay as well from someone.

To the OP if you need some tips on the install (i.e. learn from my mistakes) check out my blog link in my sig.

Thanks, I will check out your blog link. ..
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
paintedtugboat wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I've got a gripe with Ready Brake. I have their break-away system and my link was damaged. I checked and the only place to buy one of these little pieces of what looks to be stamped aluminum sheet metal with a couple holes punched in it is through their website. No other sellers offer it. It ended up costing me $26 with shipping. I'm even in the same state as they are; California, and the shipping was still exorbitant. The little link is $18 without shipping.

I bought the break-away from Amazon for $83 shipped, so $26 for the little link is just a way the company can make huge profits. I bet the thing doesn't cost more than a few pennies to make. In fact, they ought to put a few in the kit, not just the one. Adding 3 or 4 to a kit wouldn't cost them hardly anything, but then they couldn't charge $26 each if you happen to n

With my new link, I went to the hardware store and bought some stock and fabricated my own. It's not red like the factory one, but it is the weakest link in the system and will work just as good as their high dollar replacement.

After finding out how much it cost, why didn't you make one yourself? Easy enough to do with materials from Lowes. Or you could have contacted them and asked for one.

I have now, but I needed one in order to determine size and such. Mine was lost. Now that I have one, I have made a few to keep on hand.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
paintedtugboat wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I've got a gripe with Ready Brake. I have their break-away system and my link was damaged. I checked and the only place to buy one of these little pieces of what looks to be stamped aluminum sheet metal with a couple holes punched in it is through their website. No other sellers offer it. It ended up costing me $26 with shipping. I'm even in the same state as they are; California, and the shipping was still exorbitant. The little link is $18 without shipping.

I bought the break-away from Amazon for $83 shipped, so $26 for the little link is just a way the company can make huge profits. I bet the thing doesn't cost more than a few pennies to make. In fact, they ought to put a few in the kit, not just the one. Adding 3 or 4 to a kit wouldn't cost them hardly anything, but then they couldn't charge $26 each if you happen to n

With my new link, I went to the hardware store and bought some stock and fabricated my own. It's not red like the factory one, but it is the weakest link in the system and will work just as good as their high dollar replacement.

After finding out how much it cost, why didn't you make one yourself? Easy enough to do with materials from Lowes. Or you could have contacted them and asked for one.

To the OP also, think of this link, as you would a fuse protecting an electrical circuit. It's been engineered to break and severe the cable at a predetermined load. Once the toad brakes are locked up, you no longer want this cable connected to it, which could cause a dangerous situation over and above the one that's already been created.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The unit is so good that I have a brand new in the box Ready Brake unit that I could NOT sell for 1/2 the cost, lifetime warranty and all. Nobody wanted it.

So, do you just have the READYBRAKE add on or the complete READYBRUTE/ELITE hitch ass'y? Just the brake unit requires hitch equipment and any manufacture's product should work. Many like myself have the complete NSA product and not so sure that the READYBRAKE alone is all that popular. Just sayin....
As for the quality of the product, I haven't seen a better one.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Wondering where you were a few months ago. I picked one up on ebay as well from someone.

To the OP if you need some tips on the install (i.e. learn from my mistakes) check out my blog link in my sig.
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:

Bob and Joan Alexander
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH (Phaeth)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Hope)
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

http://www.phaethtofulltime.com/

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel Lines wrote:
So, this is a newbie question. I haven't taken delivery of my class A yet. I googled this product and it seems to apply the brakes of your towed vehicle if it becomes detached from your RV. Is this something that I will need when I start towing a vehicle? Should I make rgatijnet1 an offer?

There are two systems being discussed;
A break-away system, that applies brakes if your towed becomes detached so it doesn't go rolling into someone else, and a surge brake system that applies the towed vehicle's brakes as the RV brakes.

Most states require the break-away of some sort; brakes applied if it becomes separated from the towing vehicle. Some states require surge brakes. And then some require one or both for trailers and don't consider a towed car a trailer and don't require anything but safety chains and lights. Know your state's laws and the states you will be traveling through and understand them. Especially understand any differences between towing a trailer and towing a car behind another vehicle. Laws for each are many times different.

Then, once you know the laws, ask yourself if you are comfortable with them or if you would feel better going the 'full monty' and getting surge brakes as well as break away even if not required.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer

I bought the break-away from Amazon for $83 shipped, so $26 for the little link is just a way the company can make huge profits. I bet the thing doesn't cost more than a few pennies to make. In fact, they ought to put a few in the kit, not just the one. Adding 3 or 4 to a kit wouldn't cost them hardly anything, but then they couldn't charge $26 each if you happen to need a replacement.

Parallel_Lines
Explorer
Explorer
So, this is a newbie question. I haven't taken delivery of my class A yet. I googled this product and it seems to apply the brakes of your towed vehicle if it becomes detached from your RV. Is this something that I will need when I start towing a vehicle? Should I make rgatijnet1 an offer?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, there is no better unit, just more complicated and more expensive.

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
dannytas wrote:
I would like to give a big "thumbs up" to N.S.A Ready Brake Company and to a gentleman, Bob from Washington.

I bought a new, in box Ready Brake system on ebay,from Bob. He stopped RVing before he was able to use the product. When I received the package the invoice listed the RS-5000 break away system included. Alas, no RS-5000. I contacted Bob to inform him of the missing item. He promptly contacted N.S.A. Ready Brake Company and explained what was happening. Now, Bob bought this item 2 years ago. In my opinion, N.S.A. had no real obligation to satisfy any request after that long of a period.

Well, I just received and email this morning from Sue at N.S.A. Ready Brake Company, with an attached invoice for delivery of the RS-5000 Break away system. FREE OF CHARGE. Needless to say, I'm impressed.

So, those of you looking for a braking system for your towd, please take a look at the N.S.A Braking System. I'm not pushing to sell any of their product, but I am very appreciative by their customer service and think that you will be, too.

For those wondering about my signature...we are in the hunt for a Class A. This forum is giving us some very informative information in our search. Thanks to all...

Ditto. I, too, have experienced NSA's superior customer service!
Bob and Joan Alexander
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing that has been proven over and over again is that supplemental braking on a towed vehicle helps you stop in a much shorter distance. You really have to question the morals of anyone who does not use a supplemental braking system.
Bob and Joan Alexander
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brakes on all towed vehicles are not required in all states. Actually, I found it a bit confusing looking at different "expert" sites and their contradictions. More often than not, towing laws for a vehicle is confused with towing a trailer. The one thing I have found to be constant is the Emergency Brake Away. I THINK it is required in all states.

I think the heavier your towed the greater the value of the towed brakes.It also helps save your truck brakes in mountainous traveling.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Chalk up another satisfied user here of the Ready Break and Ready Stop(breakaway) system. Nice, simple mechanical system with most outboard parts available at most well stocked hardware stores.

There is ONE and only ONE thing that I don't care for about the system. That is, the cable loop (brake cable) that sticks out of the front of the towed vehicle. I wish that there was some way to work around that. So far, I haven't come up with anything. Other than that minor detail, I really like the system.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis