cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need E-450 rear axle repair in Seattle area

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have recommendations for a place in the Seattle area to work on the rear axle of my '03 E450? I had carrier bearings replaced at Randy's Ring and Pinion 40K miles ago and I've got metal in the oil again and a weaping pinion seal. I normally do all my own work, but this is a bit too heavy duty for me.
16 REPLIES 16

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there was any particular event that caused the first failure, probably a manufacturing defect is my guess but it was already making noise when I bought it with 40K on the clock so I'm only guessing. There hasn't been any particular event that would have cause a second failure and I really do baby the drivetrain. I'm not inclined to go back to Randy's again since it seems their previous repair only lasted me 40K. Randy's is just a couple of miles from my house, so their location is a real plus for me.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Randy's is pretty much my go-to suggestion. Any reason you won't go back?

Also, any idea what caused the first failure? It's not very common. I had to replace my carrier bearings, but it's because I split the carrier clean in half, when I hit a new water bar on a forest service road in the dark, jumping the van high enough the front bumper drove into the gravel and peppered my windshield.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST