cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help replacing tires: 295/80R 22.5

kinggeorge1st
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace oem tires on my 2005 Monaco Windsor 40ft mh.
Original Michelin tires have been quoted at $5443 for six. Have been given price for "Toyo" tires size 11R 22.5 for $3298 cost, which are a semi-truck tire. Was told these tires would be "slightly" narrower, and just 1/10 inch shorter. Would use of these tires be detrimental for use on RV?
19 REPLIES 19

Community Alumni
Not applicable
kinggeorge1st wrote:
I need to replace oem tires on my 2005 Monaco Windsor 40ft mh.
Original Michelin tires have been quoted at $5443 for six. Have been given price for "Toyo" tires size 11R 22.5 for $3298 cost, which are a semi-truck tire. Was told these tires would be "slightly" narrower, and just 1/10 inch shorter. Would use of these tires be detrimental for use on RV?

That sounds very high at $907 each tire when you compare to the prices on the FMCA price list. It also high as compared to a quote I just got from a dealer in Rapid City SD for 275 80 R 22.5 load range H XZA3 at $633 each X 6 is $3798 non FMCA price (FMCA is 35.00 less per tire) this is out the door price. He had 16 in stock an all with 2014 dates.

JimR

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
pashir wrote:
I had failures on both front Toyos ( not at the same time ). The blowout on the left took me across the road and wound up with $23,000 damage. Lucky no oncoming traffic. New Lexus ES350 came with Toyos. Lousy tires, couldn't wait to wear them out. 20K later new Michelins made all the difference. You get what you pay for. Obviously no more Toyos for me.

Pashir - I assume you bought them from the most expensive Michelin dealer you found and not the cheapest - after all, if you paid more from the most expensive dealer, he must have sold you better tires than the cheapest Michelin dealer???

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two years ago I replaced my Michelin tires with Toyos on the advice of my tire dealer. He was right they both are good I could not tell the difference in ride or handling. Go for it!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does a car Toyo tire have to do with a truck Toyo tire? The car Toyo tires I had were terrible on wet pavement, BUT the Toyo's I put on my MH were very good.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
On my old DP, factory Michelins on front wore out first year due to poor alignment from factory. Replaced with Toyos. Never a problem and no wear five years later when I replaced all six with Toyos. I was required to sign a waiver that I knew they were semi tires because of reported ride issues/complaints. Since I had never noticed any change with the front tires, I gladly signed and enjoyed the savings for four more years when we traded it. When the Michelins are due on the new rig, I hope I can find a replacement that it half the price of Michelins. Saved over 200 per tire over the FMCA discount on Michelins.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
koda55 wrote:
I used Toyo tires on our previous gas rv. Never had any problems with them. I now have a dp and put Toyo's on it. It came with the Michelins 297/80/22.5. I replaced them with Toyo's 295/75/22.5. In 9,000 miles I have not had any problems with them. I put H rated tires on it. For me,the Toyo's ride better than the Michelins.

You got it "Toyota"...
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
pashir wrote:
I had failures on both front Toyos ( not at the same time ). The blowout on the left took me across the road and wound up with $23,000 damage. Lucky no oncoming traffic. New Lexus ES350 came with Toyos. Lousy tires, couldn't wait to wear them out. 20K later new Michelins made all the difference. You get what you pay for. Obviously no more Toyos for me.

I ran 12R-22.5 Toyo's on my CCoach for almost 6 years...never had a problem. Been running Toyo tires on my Jeep Liberty for almost 3 years now..no problems
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Peddler95
Explorer
Explorer
My short experience with Toyo has not been good. My 2014 Nissan Pathfinder came with them, cut one on road trash, no dealer within 100 miles. The one guy they listed on their web site, was a mechanic shop with a dirt parking lot and he didn't stock any tires.
Finally got Discount Tire to order one (they don't sell them). Drove on the pretend spare for two days.

Point is, where can you get a replacement on the road?
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A
W22 Chassis & Master Tow Dolly

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I used Toyo tires on our previous gas rv. Never had any problems with them. I now have a dp and put Toyo's on it. It came with the Michelins 297/80/22.5. I replaced them with Toyo's 295/75/22.5. In 9,000 miles I have not had any problems with them. I put H rated tires on it. For me,the Toyo's ride better than the Michelins.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

Brett, how are you finding the time to post on here... OK you're on tomorrow.

Yup, tomorrow I do two seminars (Suspension and Caterpillar Engine) and a Diesel RV Club meeting tomorrow. Then, Gary Bunzer (RV Doc), Walter Cannon (RVSEF) and I do Ask the Expert Friday morning. No rest for the wicked!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without weighing your coach, NO. Do you know how much pressure is needed in your front tires? Until you know this you cannot go to an 11R22.5 as it does not have as much load carrying as a 295/80/22.5. I'm running Hankook 11R22.5 on the back of my MH (which I like) and I had to increase my rear pressures by 10 psi over the 295's I replaced. On the rear this was not a problem as I was only running 85 in the 4 drive tires and 75 in the tag. There is only a slight change in speedo readings... not enough to worry about.
NO WAY could I run 11R22.5 on the front and I even went with 315/80/22.5 on the front over the original 295 that required 110 psi for my weight. On a previous DP I put Toyo on and liked them.

Brett, how are you finding the time to post on here... OK you're on tomorrow.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA Fleet program with Michelin: http://www.fmca.com/join-family-motor-coach-association/member-benefits/fmca-connections/3455

There are several links in the link above, including pricing for various RV tires.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would use of these tires be determental... Depends .. In my case likely yes, since they are narrower and slightly smaller in diamater they will have LESS rubber on the road.. This means you need MORE PSI to hold up the motor home and I am running the max.

in your case, without running the rig over a scale and getting the 4 corner weights, And then comparing the weights to the tire's PSI requirements and max load. No way to tell.

IF the tire is up to carrying your RV.. then the Semi Tire will give a slightly rougher ride.. Somethine I very likely would never notice.. But you might.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfhunter
Explorer
Explorer
No problem at all, Sir.