cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some help?

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer
I've been combing these forums and others until my eyes are crossed. I am trying to locate a class C that meet several parameters but am not having much luck, so I was hoping for some help.

I am looking for a small Class C, less than 25', no slide, with a permanent bed (but 2 separate sleeping areas), a dinette, and most importantly a comfortable chair (recliner).

I love the Phoenix 2350 (but not the price). I have also looked at the Nexus 23P (they can accommodate a custom build but I would lose the dinette).

The class C also has to be newer than a 2008 (financing requirement - they also want less than 60K in miles).

Other than a few Thor products (I am trying to avoid Thor) which have a small barrel chair, is there anything else out there?
29 REPLIES 29

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
ColoRockiesFan wrote:

I'm basing my bias about Thor on the bad reviews I've read here and on other RV forums. I understand that many brands have issues. I'm just trying to minimize them as much as possible as I'm not very mechanically inclined. I have been spoiled by my Escape fiberglass trailer. NO issues at all after almost 2 years.

Anything you "read about" Thor products you will also read about with other manufacturers. There is nothing particular about Thor that makes their products more problematic than others. When you have more units out on the highway than any other manufacturer, the consumer will naturally have access to more service data.

As with any coach regardless of brand, staying on top of maintenance is key.

ditto.... The more apples you have in the basket, the greater chance of having more apples with issues...I doubt that based on a percentage, that Thor is any worse than any other brand. I've been inpressed with Thor as far as them covering warranty problems.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ColoRockiesFan wrote:

I'm basing my bias about Thor on the bad reviews I've read here and on other RV forums. I understand that many brands have issues. I'm just trying to minimize them as much as possible as I'm not very mechanically inclined. I have been spoiled by my Escape fiberglass trailer. NO issues at all after almost 2 years.

Anything you "read about" Thor products you will also read about with other manufacturers. There is nothing particular about Thor that makes their products more problematic than others. When you have more units out on the highway than any other manufacturer, the consumer will naturally have access to more service data.

As with any coach regardless of brand, staying on top of maintenance is key.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cruise America 28R (30 feet from bumper to bumper). See the link in my signature for interior and exterior pictures.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
aeejbe wrote:
Wa-LA

"They" just don't make 'em like they use to! ๐Ÿ˜ž

The chair? Not a deal breaker.
Perhaps to replace it to meet YOUR requirements.

Nice! I could replace the barrel chair with the recliner. Almost exactly what I was looking for!

But it's older than the 2008 you said financing required...

Its complicated. Bank 1 said they only finance 2008 or newer, and no more than 60K miles. However, Bank 2 told me they will loan 100% of the value of any RV, no matter the year. Cool ... but it means if I buy a used Class C, and the bank only values it at a certain amount, I have to make up the difference with a cash down payment. I am trying to avoid putting $10K down on a 30K RV.

No matter what bank it is, they are only going to loan you what they feel the value of it is. So you will have to come up with the difference yourself either way. You may want to consider a new small one. With the difference in the MSRP and what you can get it for, it will look like a good savings to them... Trust me. We paid $70k on a unit that was $96k MSRP...looked good to the bank.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Why are you trying to avoid Thor?

You have to understand that Thor is the largest RV manufacturer. The more products out there, then yes the more complaints you may have. We have had 2 Thor products over the last 5 years. Any issues we have had, were minor and nothing more than we have seen other manufacturers issues posted on here. As I mentioned, my boss' Winnebago has to have an entire wall replaced. But I wouldn't think that Winnebago is bad.******happens. And don't get me started with the issues about the $500k + Monaco that my inlaws use to own..
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
I am looking for a small Class C, less than 25', no slide, with a permanent bed (but 2 separate sleeping areas), a dinette, and most importantly a comfortable chair (recliner).

I love the Phoenix 2350 (but not the price).
The PC-2350 with a dinette and NO slide out like we own will accommodate only three adults, one on the dinette conversion and two on the double bed in back. I feel every PC is pretty much designed around two adults even when equipped with a queen size couch conversion bed in a slide out for it gets very tight when a huge bed is setup in the living/kitchen area.

I heard there are a couple of PCs out there made by request with a single bed over the cab in the B+ cap, but surely meant for a child and/or open bulk over-head storage.

A PC-2350 without a slide out since 2004 is extremely rare to find because so few people special ordered them that way. You will find PC-2350s (maybe called something else) without slide outs made prior to 2004 more readily available. But a lot of improvements came in 2004. I feel the older ones are of a different kind.

The Carri-Go is a very close relative to a PC-2350, maybe made by the same company before changing ownership. They were made without slide outs for maybe 3 to 4 years 1999-2002. You might find them to be affordable enough to pay cash. Just so you know, they have a wet bath.

A quick search I was reminded that Dynamax made the Carri-Go. CLICK HERE to watch a YouTube video tour of one for sale.

Ron, I really love the Phoenix. I travel solo or with my Mom so the size of the 2350 is just right. I just can't bring myself to spend 85K on a new RV ... fortunately, I'm not in a rush and maybe I can find a used Phoenix 2350, no slide, less than 50K ...

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
aeejbe wrote:
Wa-LA

Nice! I could replace the barrel chair with the recliner. Almost exactly what I was looking for!

Its complicated. Bank 1 said they only finance 2008 or newer, and no more than 60K miles. However, Bank 2 told me they will loan 100% of the value of any RV, no matter the year. Cool ... but it means if I buy a used Class C, and the bank only values it at a certain amount, I have to make up the difference with a cash down payment. I am trying to avoid putting $10K down on a 30K RV.

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
ColoRockiesFan wrote:

I love the Phoenix 2350 (but not the price).
The PC-2350 with a dinette and NO slide out like we own will accommodate only three adults, one on the dinette conversion and two on the double bed in back. I feel every PC is pretty much designed around two adults even when equipped with a queen size couch conversion bed in a slide out for it gets very tight when a huge bed is setup in the living/kitchen area.

I heard there are a couple of PCs out there made by request with a single bed over the cab in the B+ cap, but surely meant for a child and/or open bulk over-head storage.

A PC-2350 without a slide out since 2004 is extremely rare to find because so few people special ordered them that way. You will find PC-2350s (maybe called something else) without slide outs made prior to 2004 more readily available. But a lot of improvements came in 2004. I feel the older ones are of a different kind.

The Carri-Go is a very close relative to a PC-2350, maybe made by the same company before changing ownership. They were made without slide outs for maybe 3 to 4 years 1999-2002. You might find them to be affordable enough to pay cash. Just so you know, they have a wet bath.

A quick search I was reminded that Dynamax made the Carri-Go. CLICK HERE to watch a YouTube video tour of one for sale.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
You are describing the Fourwinds 23 series to a tee. Why the aversion to Thor? There is a reason large rental companies prefer these units. They are virtually bulletproof.

I think it's because people are posting that Thor is bad or something. Thor is the largest RV manufacturer. They make many good brands. Airstream, Heartland, Crossroads, Dutchmen, Keystone, KZ, Livin Lite, etc... And then when you look at their Motorcoach lineup:

A.C.E.
Axis RUV
Challenger
Chateau
Chateau Super C
Citation B+
Citation Sprinter
Four Winds
Four Winds Super C
Hurricane
Miramar
Outlaw Class A
Outlaw Class C
Palazzo RV
Siesta B+
Siesta Sprinter
Tuscany
Tuscany XTE
Vegas RUV
Windsport

I saw on a YouTube video by "Chris Travels" where he was talking about getting a Class C. Then on another video he said Thor was bad based upon his research. I asked what his research entailed. He said that he went in one that was a Thor Class C. Used model that was a rental that was for sale. It had a leak at one time or another. First of all, you are looking at a rental or what was a rental. You had so many people using it and not caring for it. Secondly, you are talking about a Class C. They are the most prone to leak. And you are baasing this on one unit you went into. He also said that he read on the forums here and on the IRV2 forum that Thor was bad.

My boss bought a brand new Winnebago last year. He has had several issues. One with a hose that wasn't connected. He had water leaking everywhere. And then the linoleum flooring appeared to be not cut correctly. The dealership was going to replace it and then they noticed the wall was warped. Ended up ordering an new interior wall to install in it's place. So it's not just brand specific. Winnebago makes a good product as well, but unfortunately there are mistakes made.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are describing the Fourwinds 23 series to a tee. Why the aversion to Thor? There is a reason large rental companies prefer these units. They are virtually bulletproof.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
aeejbe wrote:
Wa-LA

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
If $49K is out of the ball park... maybe you should list the investment amount you want to put into this Class C also.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L