cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 06' Executive Owners... Ride Home

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Spent about 1 hour looking over the coach and proceeded with the purchase. Drove home over 2 days, and although had a few issues, it was a great, safe and memorable ride. What a Coach...!

The seller was gracious and we had a fun time learning about our new coach.

Aqua-hot is low on is it Boiler fluid? and I forgot to ask how it works.

The Seller was not very handy and usually pays for everything to be done, which is fine. I am more detailed, and now the fun starts...

I did here some metallic noise going over bumps at low speed. I think it may be the rubber bushings and the rubber in between shock absorber where they attach to the frame...?

It does porpoise a bit on dips at high speed.

When i raise the TAG, It does not lift off the ground is that normal?

The steering seems loose, and requires a lot of correction. And, when an 18 wheeler passes me on the left, my Rig pushes to the right and I have to correct to the left but the steering is loos and so i have to correct again because it goes to far left. It doesn't feel like it's accurate. It's like loose. I understand it's an RV, but what are normal steering issues that i can repair/replace to make steering and chassis like new again?

I notice that while steering, it is hard to keep her centered as she wanders left then i have to correct right. This is constantly, and requires to much attention to drive. What items can I have Source engineering do to correct these issues? I mean i see that Source has 8 Airbag Ride Enhancement kit, I wonder if they have a 10 airbag Kit...?

When i use the remote to lock the bays, i hear them click, but only a few lock...

The seller neglected to tell me that the tile behind the chair was cracked. I can only imagine it was when someone activated slide without checking if passenger chair was too close. There is tape covering the area, which i did not see until my road trip.

I would like to address these issues and more. Below are some ideas I'd like to do. Can you take a look and offer suggestions...?

1. I Will see if I can pressure wash the entire underside of coach to see about any leaks.

2. Gently spray greaser on engine and generator and rinse with hose. No Pressure water there...

3. Contact Source Engineering for replacing all shocks and ask about Ride enhancement Kit. anyone use Source?

4. Anyone upgrade their bushings?

5. I can feel the bedroom is hot when we stop. Anyone have a link to those fans that remove engine heat?

6. Any other things Inherent or I should be aware of?
06' Monaco Executive Ranier IV ~ 41' 4"
525ISX ~ Allison 4000 ~ S Series Chassis
10 Air bag/10 Source Billstein
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Last: 99' National Class A ~ 31' Ford Chassis
55 REPLIES 55

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I said....----The best thing that you will ever do is replace your lead-acid batteries with AGM's. Yes, they are more expensive but worth it as they are maintenance free.----

Ocean said...----
I will change out the batteries. Should I go ALL Chassis and Coach batteries AGM? And there's quite a number of them out there. Any Brands I should stick to?

Changing the house batteries to AGM's is what I would do. Since we sold the Dynasty, I'm not sure of the brand but probably Lifelines? Redlands can direct you to the correct info as they changed out our batteries and cleaned our battery trays. Now, I'm not sure about the chassis as they have a different rating because they are 'starting' batteries. I know that I didn't have to add water to them as they are maintenance free.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that AGM's are really a great option if you need new batteries. However, it sounds from your description of your house batteries that the previous owner may have installed a battery watering manifold system like Pro Fill or Qwik Fill. They are great systems and make it very easy to top off wet cell batteries. Most have a squeeze bulb that you attach, drop the end in a jug of distilled water, and pump the bulb until it gets firm. If you have that type of system and the batteries are otherwise in good shape, I would keep them until you need to replace.

I agree with getting advice from various sources but it sounds like with your current family obligations and the nature of your questions that your best bet would be to take the coach to one of the stellar shops in the Junction City/Eugene, OR area and let someone get it up to snuff in terms of service items. Premier in JC, Oregon Motor Coach in Eugene are highly recommended. The Aqua Hot is a great gizmo but it is a complicated beast. You can certainly do the basic service yourself (change burner nozzle, clean combustion chamber, replace fuel filter) but folks with the proper test equipment and certified to service Aqua Hot/Hydro Hot units would be my choice for a good service and checkup. There is also a Cummins Shop in Coburg, OR that gets good reviews.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Ocean Mist, if you can locate a good mobile tech in your area, that would be a good way to have your Aqua Hot serviced. And, you could certainly perform the service yourself if you mechanically inclined. And yes, you should see which Aqua Hot you have as it should be on the unit.
I will look into the AquaHot and probably have the professionals do the service on it first...

You now know about Redlands Truck and Performance Center as they have checked out your Executive. I was just there last week for them to install the towing equipment for my new toad.
I thought they did a fine job, maybe I can contact them for a service on the Onan, and the Engine, for a good baseline...

For one reason or another, you will have to 'reset' your Aqua-Hot. There is a pin-hole reset button that you would use the end of a paperclip to insert in the hole to push the reset button.
I haven't started it yet, but I think a service on it as well...

Please, do not let CW touch your coach. If you need anything done, locate a Cummins Coach Care facility to service your engine and Onan.
Thanks for that! We actually used to go to CW like for a fun trip in our Gasser, but I'm going to stay away...

SCA are test strips for you to check the balance of your antifreeze in the radiator.
I will acquire some test strips...

The best thing that you will ever do is replace your lead-acid batteries with AGM's. Yes, they are more expensive but worth it as they are maintenance free.
I will change out the batteries. Should I go ALL Chassis and Coach batteries AGM? And there's quite a number of them out there. Any Brands I should stick to?

You will find the procedure to adjust your tag in your owner's manual. It is very easy as the knob is on the driver's side of the engine compartment. Just follow the directions.
I'm reading that now, and will adjust it before I drive her again

You can determine the correct tire pressure by going to the tire manufacturers website (our case, it was Michelin). Once you have your coach weighed, you will go to the chart on the website to see the pressures needed. Ivy's list of pressures seem right. I like to put in an extra 5 lbs. for 'insurance'.
I will check the website. I thik the tires on there now are Yokohama's and I will also check date codes and then air appropriately...

I got our Dynasty weighed at a Van Line moving company as they weighed each individual corner. At the time, it only cost me $10.
check! Van line will be googled and appts made.

Thanks for all the info, it has really helped me out. and thanks to all here I will be getting things punched off my punch list...

Good luck.
Mark
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace the engine air filter, ck/water hoses and radiator hose condition. No fun if one breaks on the interstate.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
You said.
3. Contact Source Engineering for replacing all shocks and ask about Ride enhancement Kit. anyone use Source?
Last year I had the Comfort Ride Valve Kit installed and it made a big difference plus I had the wax valve installed what a difference that make.
Lot of the Country Coach guys go to Henderson's in Grants Pass, Oregon. http://www.hendersonslineup.com
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Mist, if you can locate a good mobile tech in your area, that would be a good way to have your Aqua Hot serviced. And, you could certainly perform the service yourself if you mechanically inclined. And yes, you should see which Aqua Hot you have as it should be on the unit.

You now know about Redlands Truck and Performance Center as they have checked out your Executive. I was just there last week for them to install the towing equipment for my new toad.

For one reason or another, you will have to 'reset' your Aqua-Hot. There is a pin-hole reset button that you would use the end of a paperclip to insert in the hole to push the reset button.

Please, do not let CW touch your coach. If you need anything done, locate a Cummins Coach Care facility to service your engine and Onan.

SCA are test strips for you to check the balance of your antifreeze in the radiator.

The best thing that you will ever do is replace your lead-acid batteries with AGM's. Yes, they are more expensive but worth it as they are maintenance free.

You will find the procedure to adjust your tag in your owner's manual. It is very easy as the knob is on the driver's side of the engine compartment. Just follow the directions.

You can determine the correct tire pressure by going to the tire manufacturers website (our case, it was Michelin). Once you have your coach weighed, you will go to the chart on the website to see the pressures needed. Ivy's list of pressures seem right. I like to put in an extra 5 lbs. for 'insurance'.

I got our Dynasty weighed at a Van Line moving company as they weighed each individual corner. At the time, it only cost me $10.

Good luck.
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Mist wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Ocean,

I would get a three axle alignment done first before adding additional parts. I think the steering 'correction' problem could be related to the alignment. I'm not a mechanic but I've seen this talked about many times on this site.

You might need to have the Aqua Hot serviced and checked out. The unit might need to be blown out and the nozzle replaced along with the fuel filter, etc.

If you 'wet' the engine area, try your best not to get the alternators wet.

I don't think fans in the engine area will make one bit of difference to remove heat. You've got a big-honking 600hp engine that puts out a lot of heat. You could maybe open the engine door when you park to dissipate the heat faster. I think the hot bedroom is normal. You can inspect the insulation in the engine area to see if it's there but we had the same issue with our Dynasty which I didn't see as a problem.

Our tag axle on the Dynasty would come all the way off of the ground. Make sure you are on level ground when you test it. It could be that it might need adjustment.

You can also check the dates on the airbags as they can age out.

The bay door locks might need to be sprayed with WD40. If your locks were like our Dynasty, you can take off the cover that is inside bay door and see how they operate.

Good luck,
MM.

Thanks MM, I have been busy with taking care of my parents, and like this weekend, my wife and I took them to their vacation property. They really like the drive. Father is 95, mum is 88.

My punch list is over 2 pages...lol

I heard there are great folks to do allignment up in Eugene and Coburg Or, but I'm hoping to find someone here in the Bay Area California...
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Sam, without the engine running you want less than 1/2" free play in the steering wheel...it costs nothing to adjust as the bolt with the lock nut is easy to get to on the side of the box. Start with a quarter turn CW...it has a slot in its head.

Chris, the OP has a heavier engine/tranny than you so your tag only needs 35 psi max. Are you having to hold pressure to the right to go straight or is the steering wheel not centered? If not centered it can be repositioned without doing an alignment.

You say it cost nothing, but If I break something it will...lol J/k I am really interested to see what the Tag setting is
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
cvbdsl wrote:
Here's a link to the Aqua Hot manual (450d). It might be the same as your model year.

Aqua Hot Manual

Lots of good info for a newbie like me.

Chris

that's great info as wel! I'm hoping to get a chance to pull the black cover off the Aqua hot so I can see what I have there. It should tell me the model right in front of the Stainless part of the box right?
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:
You may not have enough pressure in the Tag, too little light front and over steer.

LEN

thanks Len, i'm hoping to check the Tag today...
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
OceanMist:
1. Your undercarriage should be sealed. No steam cleaning necessary.
2. Recommended service interval for the AquaHot is annually. I would have it serviced completely then either annually or every other year depending on how much you use it. The diesel boiler should be fired up at least once a month according to my mechanic. Make sure they check the fuel pressure gauge when doing the service. Cost is around $200.
3. My AquaHot uses special fluid. DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT FLUIDS. Determine what YOURS uses before adding anything.
4. You have a gauge in the engine compartment to adjust the tag. The lighter the tag, the lighter the front axle. Conversely, the heavier the tag, the heavier the front axle. Use that gauge to adjust any weight issues. Mine lifts off the ground but will automatically drop if you exceed 5MPH. Use caution if you are going over speed humps with the tag lifted. If it bumps the hump you may get an ABS warning signal that will persist until you exceed 35MPH and it resets.
5. A good alignment shop will make your steering issues disappear. I doubt you need to do anything else.
6. Once loaded for travel, get it weighed and adjust your tire pressure to specs.
7. Check the tire date codes.
8. Check the SCA in your radiator....Dennis

Ok, have the Aqua hot serviced annually. Is that something I can do or where is a good place to take it? Cworld?

That's good to hear about the Undercarriage. I will just clean the oil that has accumulated on the generator.

I will check to see which fluid my aquahot uses FIrST!...

Thank you about the 35mpg reset for the Tag. I could see myself combing the books for hours on that one...lol

Yes, that is great that I only need the current components to make the thing drive like a dream

Just curious, how one determines the air pressure to weight ratio...I think i also asked Ivy above?

I will check the date codes on tires...

And what is the SCA on the Radiator?
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Adjust the TRW steering box so you have less than 1/2" movement on the steering wheel before doing anything else. On the left side of the engine area there is a pressure regulator/gauge for the tag axle...needs at least 40 psi. Push the black knob in and turn CW to increase the pressure. Got it. I will check the box for 1/2" of play. Also, someone said to check the drag link, and tie rod ends. Can I do this myself or do I need to take a trip to Oregon to Source Engineering...?

Weighing before loading your stuff is a waste so try 110 front tires, 100 drive axle, and 80 in the tag and go test drive it. Unless you have leaking oil around a shock I would not replace with only 64K miles if I remember correctly. I kinda thought that too especially since teh manufacturer is supposed to have the , let me see if i remember, the UVW posted to the wall behind the drivers seat...I hope to weigh it fully laden at one of the truck scales. It will be really cool if they can measure each wheel. I'm wondering what my CCC will be?

Again, my Exec' is in another city, and I have only short periods of time to do stuff...but I'm excited i have the opportunity

I wil try 110, 100,80. Thank you for that. That is a really good starting point.

The chains that lift the tag may have too much slack in them...probably not worth adjusting as long as you hear air expelling when you try to lift it.

I would put up to a gallon of distilled water in to top off the AHot...do not use car antifreeze.

Quik question about my batteries. I have 8 for the Coach, and 3 for the chassis. It looks like the batt's for chassis are interstate, and the for the coach, they have these tubes going from one battery to the next, going into the screw caps. how does one check them to fill them?
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Load it for travel get the wheel weights for each wheel or at least each axle. Then set tire air pressure to the axle or wheel weights then take it for another ride and see if it handles different. You should also do this before having the alignment work done.

"Hey there Pilgrim..." sorry couldnt resist...
I have been diligently reasding the manual but I still haven't found where you dtermine the air pressurs by the weight. Is there a formula for that?
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Ocean,

I would get a three axle alignment done first before adding additional parts. I think the steering 'correction' problem could be related to the alignment. I'm not a mechanic but I've seen this talked about many times on this site.

You might need to have the Aqua Hot serviced and checked out. The unit might need to be blown out and the nozzle replaced along with the fuel filter, etc.

If you 'wet' the engine area, try your best not to get the alternators wet.

I don't think fans in the engine area will make one bit of difference to remove heat. You've got a big-honking 600hp engine that puts out a lot of heat. You could maybe open the engine door when you park to dissipate the heat faster. I think the hot bedroom is normal. You can inspect the insulation in the engine area to see if it's there but we had the same issue with our Dynasty which I didn't see as a problem.

Our tag axle on the Dynasty would come all the way off of the ground. Make sure you are on level ground when you test it. It could be that it might need adjustment.

You can also check the dates on the airbags as they can age out.

The bay door locks might need to be sprayed with WD40. If your locks were like our Dynasty, you can take off the cover that is inside bay door and see how they operate.

Good luck,
MM.

Thanks MM, I have been busy with taking care of my parents, and like this weekend, my wife and I took them to their vacation property. They really like the drive. Father is 95, mum is 88.

My punch list is over 2 pages...lol
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Sam, without the engine running you want less than 1/2" free play in the steering wheel...it costs nothing to adjust as the bolt with the lock nut is easy to get to on the side of the box. Start with a quarter turn CW...it has a slot in its head.

Chris, the OP has a heavier engine/tranny than you so your tag only needs 35 psi max. Are you having to hold pressure to the right to go straight or is the steering wheel not centered? If not centered it can be repositioned without doing an alignment.

I have to hold the wheel to the right to go straight. Thanks for the info on the tag, hopefully I'll get the MH out, totally fueled with water and our normal gear back in, toad attached this weekend and go get it weighed. I'll then calibrate the tag and re-weigh. Only problem its a holiday weekend up here and that might delay me.

Thanks
Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)