cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New choice for all-steel cased Class C tire

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regularly check the Bridgestone website to see if they have anything new to replace our discontinued all-steel cased 225/75R16 Duravis M+S tires. We are a couple of years from aging them out.

Bridgestone has had the well regarded all-steel cased Duravis R250 summer tire. Now they have the all-steel cased R238 all season tire. While not a M+S it is at least all-season. Will take a look when the time comes to replace.

R238:

R250:

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak
6 REPLIES 6

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are really planning on regularly driving in snow and mud, Michelin makes the lugged tread XPS Traction in the 215/85R16 size, same capacity but slightly taller. I'm not sure anyone else has an all-steel commercial-grade traction tire in a size that fits. If you choose a traction tire for the rear, you would probably still want a steering tire like R250 or XPS Rib for the front.

When I upgraded from consumer all-season tires to commercial all-steel, I put on XPS Rib tires all around on my C, with the idea that I would never take the RV into winter conditions. XPS Rib is a summer tire with rubber compounds addressing durability rather than wet traction, let alone staying soft enough to deal with icy roads.

I also have a one-ton van that uses the same tire size and load rating. This one I need to take anywhere anytime, so I run all-season tires on that one (currently Michelin LTX M/S2). The way this van is typically used, I feel no need for the retreadability and heavier tread of commercial all-steel tires, so I'm OK with all-season Michelin LTX, Goodyear Wranglers, Firestone Transforce, knowing that I'll be replacing them early, i.e. when tread depths get halfway to "minimum" if going into seasons of heavy rain.

If I lived in the Great Lakes area or the Dakotas, I would probably use something like the LTX Winter year round, rather than the LTX M/S2. Although it is the same tread pattern, the rubber compound is more suitable for ice traction. At the other end of the scale, the Defender LTX has a more wear resistant tread than the LTX M/S2, with some compromises in wet traction.

Where you live, I would not compromise on wet traction. I would still intend to not be RVing in ice and snow. That's when it is time to move south.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
^ Makes sense... thanks.

Gar

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary,

My thoughts are that if ever caught having to drive in rain, slush, sleet, or snow in one's Class C, the same rules apply as in cars and SUVs - a more aggressive tread will be safer regarding both forward and lateral traction ... just in case.

Also in our travels we sometimes take our Class C off-highway, so a bit more traction in dry or wet gravel or dirt is always better. We use Michelin's new M&S Defender Load Range E tires on our Class C ... steel tread area and some type of high tech sidewall material.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Educate me on the value of an AS vs Summer tire. I get it when it comes to cars and SUV, not sure I understand it when it comes to the C.

Gary

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
That R238 looks similar to this great all steel Michelin tire:
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/XPS_Rib_DataPg.pdf
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news indeed. We're on a new set of R250's, having had four of them plus two older V-Steel Bridgestones.

Seeing an AS tire built like the R250 is great.

Thanks for the update!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB