cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New models with 4x4 with cabover bunk?

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for a new Class C (Sprinter or Ford or GM or ?? chassis) with 4x4 (or 6x6) from factory with bunk over cab and rear corner bed, ideally 24-26'

Is anyone aware of any such models available from manufacturer?

Is there any history or reason why more manufacturers don't offer 4x4 as an option? I understand it would probably be $10-15k, but seems like something some buyers would pay for.

I've read about Quigley and Whitefeather and might consider that if a factory 4x4 is not available.

Thank you!
26 REPLIES 26

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
You already got some great responses but here is what I have found.

I had a TCer on a GMC 2500HD 4x4 and I loved it but honestly the 4x4 was hardly used as it was just so heavy, and most of that was top heavy, so I was not comfortable going anyplace that was not almost perfectly level as I could feel the rig sway like it was going to tip. Plus with the weight of the unit no winch would get me out of a situation if I did get stuck, I would need something big to get me unstuck so I stayed in the front country with it.

I sold the TCer and got a small Class C (19') with the thought that I would be able to take it the same places that I could take the TCer and if it would go there I could do a 4x4 conversion if I wanted - boy was I wrong! The extra width of the Class C was insane, even on back roads I was hitting the mirror on trees on the side of the road so trails were out of the question. Add to that the creaking that the unit made on rough roads and I was afraid to take it any place rough. There is a road I like to drive on and even with my Dodge Journey it bounces and creaks the vehicle, with the Class C and the weight it was more than a creak I thought it was going to split in half and that was only on about 20' of the road so I turned back, I could not imagine a rough trail.

I have since bought a Ford Transit and added a bed, portable propane stove, porta potti, will add a 12V fridge and a heater and use this for the rougher stuff. The weight is low, not a lot of extra weight like cupboards and tables and it is narrower. May upgrade if / when I need a 4x4 but at this time happy with what I got.

I have looked at everything available new and used and could not justify the cost, weight and size to take it on trails.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Koooool !!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$ JM2ยข

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.countryrv.net/Class-C-Motorhomes/Adventurer-Adventurer/Quad-2016/19/4392/
Adventurer Makes one as per the add for a 2016 at a dealer in Kelowna, Brititsh Columbia. I'm sure if you go to their website you could get more info.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if a selectable locker in the rear axle would give him what he needs?
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago, Jayco offered a Class C on E450 with 4x4 conversion by Quigley. It was the Melbourne model, which you might call a B+ because I don't think it had a cab-over bunk. I think they built 30 of them. I don't know how well the effort worked out for Jayco. The Melbourne name is now on a Sprinter-based Jayco.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I got a buddy who has a conversion and I've got to say I'm jealous of it. I don't know why manufacturers don't offer them brand new other than there just isn't enough of a market for them at a price they can build it for. Here's a link to photos of his rig. See if it's what you have in mind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGx4byk9sIE

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
There are a few specialty manufacturers but prices are a little crazy.

As mentioned previously a couple things negate the benefits of manufacturers producing 4x4 versions:

The house an many won't stand up to any serious off road work. Once the frame starts flexing you quickly run into problems with it holding together. Google: Unimog RV and you will see what it takes to make a true off road RV. Probably overkill for what you need but you will find most keep the house separate and use a 3 point support system so the frame can flex independent of the house.

If it's just a bit of extra traction you are looking for, it's probably not needed or easily achieved thru other means:
- A typical pickup might carry 40% of it's weight on the rear axle. Since traction is coefficient of friction times weight, you have traction equal to roughly 40% of the rear tire with the least available traction. By engaging 4x4, you get 100% of the tire with the least available traction or about 150% more traction.
- On a Class C, it's probably closer to 70% on the rear axle, so you already start with around 75% more traction. If you think you need more, get a limited slip diff or better a locking diff, you address those situations where one wheel is in mud or loose sand and can often double the available traction.

Ultimiately a 4x4 will do better but if you are thinking of an empty pickup as a comparison, the class c will already have far more traction as a percentage of overall weight.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
I really like that Tigervehicle. We once had a nice truck and truck slide in camper. I miss it. If it wasn't for a wife, I would grab that tigervehicle in a heartbeat.

I don't need to be four-wheeling, but just having it on dirt road excursions, getting off the road and boondocking and exploring all of the BLM trails and roads we have available in the West would be great.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Tiger, Bengal model. The living quarters would not be quite as large as you imagine, but you could get a crew cab chassis and move a few things into where the backseat was. Tigervehicles.com

Also Phoenix Cruiser. Phoenixusarv.com. Not sure if these have cabover bunk.

Thank you. I checked out Phoenix Cruiser and don't see the cabover bunk, but will ask them.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:

What's your intended use, if I may ask?

First, thank you for your responses above.

We are based in Las Vegas and will travel mostly in the southwest US on short trips. There are some dirt roads that we would like to explore. Some, while pretty free from vegetation, do have decent grades and sometimes rutted surfaces that may be difficult for traction. In addition, a little extra clearance would be helpful.

Also, while we don't plan to travel in snow or rain, it would be nice to have a little extra traction in case we end up in that situation.

I like the idea of the Winnebago Revel, but we really want two decent-sized beds. I haven't seen a 4x4 Class B that pulls off the two beds, thus the corner bed and cabover bunk of a Class C.

I hope Winnebago or others push the 4x4 chassis to models with just a bit more room and sleeping capacity.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there are a few reasons why 4x4 class C's aren't common. Probably the biggest one is that the usual van chassis employed are not available with four wheel drive from the factory, so any such model would have to use an aftermarket converter (like Quigley et al) or an atypical chassis.

More generally, though, there aren't all that many situations where a 4x4 class C makes too much sense. They generally have fairly decent traction in poor weather conditions (at least any one would care to be out in with such a large, unwieldy vehicle) due to having quite a bit of weight over the drive wheels. For going off road, they are wide, tall, have a pretty high CG, have poor turning radii and poor departure angles, all of which are rather limiting. Most typical class C structures aren't really designed to take the stresses of much rough off-road travel, either.

Four wheel drive also adds a good bit of weight, taking away from the (often already none too great) cargo carrying ability of the unit.

What's your intended use, if I may ask?

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Tiger, Bengal model. The living quarters would not be quite as large as you imagine, but you could get a crew cab chassis and move a few things into where the backseat was. Tigervehicles.com

Also Phoenix Cruiser. Phoenixusarv.com. Not sure if these have cabover bunk.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed