cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Class A (Soon)

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
We have recently started looking to upgrade from our current bumper-pull (29' - 33' overall) to a smaller Class A.
Wondering what things we need to be aware of as we contemplate the move.
Obviously, maintenance is going to be more extensive and costly.
Insurance will also be more.
I solved 18-wheeler "suck" by adding a second sway bar on our bumper pull.
I'm reading that the "suck" is prevalent on MHs, also.
What will help the most with that?
Is it common to drive with the generator running to operate the coach A/C - Heat? Is it a necessity to use the MH A/C (ie, truck A/C won't cool the coach)?
What other things should we be aware of if/when we make the move?
We are looking at vehicles in the $80k - $120k range in Houston, which means 27' - 31' gasoline units.

Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just became class A owners ourselves (2012 Newmar Bay Star 3201). Based on our first outing in 90 degree plus temps, make sure you get something with 2 AC units. We were quite comfortable, but the AC ran most of the day. I may consider getting window awnings for the two main windows from Shade Pro. Keep in mind that if buying used, you may have to replace tires. The tires on our 2012 were the original Good Years, so I've ordered new Toyo M154 tires and the cost with installation will be $2,200 or so (new valve stems, balancing, etc.).

Think about the cost of getting a car set up for towing....whether you use a dolly or tow four down, it isn't cheap and labor intensive unless you have the skills and willingness to do it yourself.

We didn't have to drive that far to get to or return from our first outing, but if it had been any farther, I would have used the generator and ran the coach AC. Our motorhome has two fans mounted by the windshield that when pointed towards the driver and passenger help in keeping it cool.

The previous owner had installed Summo springs and stabilizers on the front and rear axles. I was pleasantly surprised at how it handled when we drove from Lancaster, PA back to Ohio. The sucking effect created by passing rigs was noticeable, but nothing that caused alarm or problems.

In doing a lot of research, we found that we liked what we saw and read about Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago/Itasca gas motorhomes. I would have also liked pre 2008 Holiday Rambler units and we looked at one in PA but the carpeting was shot and it had some other issues. But the quality of the unit, as manufactured, was much better than many. We couldn't be happier with the quality of Newmar and we were lucky to find one in really nice shape and the owner was very helpful and honest in answering all our questions. We also were able to transfer an insurance plan so we still have quite a bit of time and/or miles in which if something fails, we've got insurance with a small deductible.

If looking at older Winnebago/Itasca units, read up on reported problems with rust around the windshield. From what I found, you want to check carefully to prevent a rather pricey repair.

Also, many of them have the basement AC units. There are pluses and minuses to that design, but I was worried about the amount of AC noise when the unit is typically under the bedroom. With our dual ACs, at night, we can run the forward AC and it is pretty quiet in the bedroom. And, when watching TV at night, use the rear AC and minimize AC noise in the living area.

Do a lot of research and reading. Then, take your time at look at a lot of units to get an idea of what you will run into. If you're lucky, you can find something that was stored indoors (as ours was) and quite well maintained. But, we looked at some real "dogs" that would have taken a lot of work and $$ to bring up to what we want to use.

Watch our for some shorter units that are known to have more handling issues. From what I read, it's safer to stay with 32' or larger units that have a longer wheelbase. Research the 29 or 30' units from Jayco and you'll find a lot of complaints, and Jayco is usually a pretty good company.

Finally, we found that when looking at units from around 2011 and older, you will find much more carpeting. At first, we wanted to spend less and were looking at 2005-2008 models and found that many of them look very dated. So, we ended up deciding to spend a little more and when we went to look at our 2012, there was no question that it was the one to get. Yes, there were some things we would have liked to be different, but when looking for a used unit, you have to balance the importance of the mechanical and quality side of the equation with the decor, layout and floor plan, etc.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find a gem!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption