cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - '90 Holiday Rambler Limited DP - HWH Jack System

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for help on a 1990 HR Limited we're seriously considering, and really like, but have some concerns.
It's been well cared for, but has some issues that make us afraid it will empty our wallets. If we can figure out how serious these are, we will make an offer, or walk away. I'm posting several threads by item, to make it easier to answer. Hopefully someone here is familiar with these coaches, and can offer some advice.

It has the HWH jack system with multiple toggle switches.
These jacks retract, and fold upwards (like airplane landing gear).
I pushed button to "autolevel" the coach; one jack started pivoting downward, but stopped after moving only slightly, and nothing else happened after this. I pushed several buttons after this, including the "retract", and others, but nothing woudl happen. I don't think I was "going crazy" pushing buttons, but pushed what seemed (to an ignorant newbie) to make sense. Anyone have a suggestion on what might be going on here?
Is the jack system very difficult, or parts very expensive, to repair?

Thank you in advance! My wife and I really like the coach, the layout, the quality, the ruggedness, etc., and would like to get it if we think we can address the concerns

Jorge
Jorge
1990 Holiday Rambler Limited 37'
19 REPLIES 19

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again guys.
We looked at a 1992 CC this weekend, and it convinced me more of the possible worth of the HR. The CC has pieces of the basement frame that had rusted away - completely gone in several places. Great powertrain (Cummins 8.8L with MT747) but I don't want to be anywhere near it when the body drops off the frame.

We're going to take another look at the HR Limited. From the coaches we've considered, it's one I think can give us many years of relatively little problem, and it fits our intended use.

BTW... We have a 1989 Boat with tandem trailer... and the original tires!! Previous owner only towed from barn to dock, to shop for end-of-season maintenance/winterizing (it was in Michigan), and then back to barn. I always carry a spare, and check pressure religiously. Yes, I know I'm on borrowed time on those tires - LOL.
Jorge

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JorgeS wrote:
Thanks all.
They started out asking in mid/high #20s; now asking $15,500.
Coach is VERY rust free everywhere for it's age, has very good condition Michelins, and shower wear but no abuse.
We offered $14K, and they said no, so we're walking.
We'll keep looking.
Thanks again for all the great info.

Jorge

NOBODY can "look" at tires and determine condition. You need to research how to look at the DATE CODES on tires. If they are over 7 years old, they will have to be replaced. Doug

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
My key board is having problems from coffee. Spill. Lol

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
Hayward California

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing about the holiday 40ft limited the chassey is a well proven one and gillig has the parts and is located in Howard California. You give them your chassey number and they look it up and can send u the parts quick nice people to deal with this chassey was so expensive the mother home mfg went to cheaper built chasseys to help tthere bottem line you can't beat the ride

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen older ones go for over 40 depends on mileage and condition i saw a 1987 with 15k on the clock sell for 33k depends on the unit can't go by nda not acuret i sold a 26 ft revcon that I redid in the 1990s for 18k had 90k on odometer first guy that came to see it bought it depends on the unit not the year and how it was built look at the old gmc coaches they still pull good money the if its aluminum frame and Alluminum skin the hold the value now the wood framed moterhomes and travel trawlers are another story better be a retired carpenter to repair the rot. Lol

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fluid level the pump is right in the front of the coach sounds like out of fluid turn engine off to hear pump run might have a bad hose or seal leaking on one of the jacks just don't run pump if low on oil your going to have problems if u buy a new moter home and spend big bucks a guy i know bought a brand new barth regency detroit diesel I think 8.3 liter? With a torsion. Bar suspension and it had air over hydrolic breaks it was scary stopping or trying to. when a semi passed you this thing was all over the road and he paid over 150k in the 1990s other than that it was a nice coach Lol any rv u buy I don't care what it is they all need repair Evan a new one lol

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.
They started out asking in mid/high #20s; now asking $15,500.
Coach is VERY rust free everywhere for it's age, has very good condition Michelins, and shower wear but no abuse.
We offered $14K, and they said no, so we're walking.
We'll keep looking.
Thanks again for all the great info.

Jorge
Jorge

dalefuji
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that has similar type landing gear leveling system. I would put jacks down and then sometimes one of the jacks would lift up part way and not always
the same one. I checked fluid and it was fine. I ended up replacing control board and it has worked fine ever since. Control Board not that expensive. I hope emergency brake was on when you tried to drop leveling jacks. Brake has to be on before the system will work. The engine doesn't have to be running, just ignition turn on.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you are paying over 10k for this motorhome, it is NOT a good deal. Doug

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.
We're going to make an offer, and it f we meet on pricing, will go Saturday to close the deal.
Fortunately, I think all the manuals are in the coach. Including Cat engine, Gillig, HWH, and so on. There's a pile about 8" thick (or more) with manuals under the dinette seat.
Jorge

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug!

If your control box has fuses, replace them. Don't think about it, just do it.
-jbh-

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Sheesh guys... thank you!!
Great information.
And yes Mr. wizard... if we go back. We're still thinking about it.
Thanks again! If we go back, i'll be sure to print and take this manual with me.
Jorge

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. HWH no longer supports the OLD toggle switch controlled panel.
2. Here is the link to the Kick down system and maintenance and operation for the 100 series. You would have to remove the existing control system and the cheapest route would be to install the Lever system on this link. Doug

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml7367.pdf