Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Progress Report

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
Time for my progress report.

Purchased the "new to us" 2006 American Heritage 45E in Lewisville, TX. in July of this year. With no prior experience which could help in our undertaking, we set out to bring the coach back to Ocean City, MD. I asked the dealer if we should purchase an auxiliary braking system for the Jeep Commander Limited we were going to tow and all the fellows there said that they never use them. So we didn't buy one. We traveled the 1600 miles back to the Maryland Eastern Shore without incident. We stopped first night at Tom Sawyer Campground in West Memphis, Arkansas. We took the Jeep into Memphis for some great Beale Street BBQ and good blues music., The second evening we stayed near the Bristol, Tennessee NASCAR track. Ate dinner at the Bristol Outback Steak House. We arrived home late on the third day.

Crossing three mountain ranges, towing the 5000 lb. Jeep we averaged 5.2 mpg. Keep in mind that we drove at or over the posted speed limits throughout the trip. (Because we have 600HP, we drove up the mountains at our cruise speeds.) Moreover, I didn't know about the Allison transmission "economy" setting at the time. I had foolishly hoped for somewhat better fuel economy.

Some observations from that trip:,

The VORAD collision avoidance system is worth its weight in gold!!! If I ever buy another coach, it will have this system.

The ABS disk brakes on the coach were flawless, and stopped smoothly even with no assist from the Jeep.

Used every system on the coach except the furnace and everything performed as it should. The prior owner had fully "debugged" the coach.

The 3 speed Jake Brake is truly a brake saver.

The lights in the basement bays are really a nice touch.

The auto-locking bay doors are nice as well.

We washed the beast TWICE in 3 days. Found out that a 45 foot coach has (45x2) + (8.5x2) x 12 = 1284 sq. feet of washable surface, not counting the roof.

Found out that darling wife did not know that she needed to watch out for overhead obstructions lower than 13 feet. ( We BOTH now know.)

Found out why Trailways and Greyhound buses go over 75 mph...because they can do it in comfort. 'Course their drivers don't pay for the fuel.

Once home, we camped locally a few weekends with our intrepid navigators...3 Westie puppies. Purchased fencing to retain our puppy inventory only to discover how clever our little Houdinis were at escaping the escape-proof enclosure we designed. Each weekend included a "round up" of the clever little buggers, and adjustments to the enclosure design. Finally, we attained Leavenworth Prison level security.

New observations:

Camping (if you can call a weekend in a Heritage camping) is really great. The people you meet are even nicer than my yachting acquaintances.

AGM batteries are expensive. I purchased 5 Lifeline 8Ds for $700 EACH! Another several hundred for two type 31 chassis batteries.

Made reservations to spend 5 months in Naples, Florida at the Pelican Lakes RV Resort.

Purchased the new RViBrake, with remote monitoring of the Jeep's tire pressures and the braking action. THIS IS A TRULY GREAT SYSTEM. (I wanted the SMI Air Force One, but I couldn't get it installed in time for the trip to the Shenandoah Valley and on to Florida.)

Tuesday prior to Thanksgiving, drove in heavy rain and wind to Lynchburg, Va via The Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel, Richmond and Charlottesville. For several nights, slept in the coach with the outside temps in the high teens. The furnace and heated floors worked like a charm!

Left Lynchburg on Saturday morning. Arrived Jacksonville, Fl. around dark, due to several hours of holdups caused by highway accidents. (All were on the northbound side, but the rubbernecking added more than two hours to our travel time.)

Stayed in a Walmart for the first time. Nice manager and security personnel there.

Left early Sunday morning and drove to Naples. Checked in at Pelican Lakes, set up the Westie prison, and enjoyed several refreshing tequila beverages.

Total trip was 1350 miles, in all weather conditions. Drove thru 3 long tunnels without knocking the mirrors off the semi trucks passing thru. Brought the fuel economy up to 5.7 mpg. I think the "economy" setting on the tranny helped.

Overall, I really love the American Coach. The factory folks have helped me far more than I have any reason to expect. Before buying this coach, I looked at Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Country Coach, Travel Supreme, and Beaver. I'm sure that the top of each of their lines would've satisfied our needs, but now I'm hooked. Barring a profound change in the American Coach quality of production and quality of service, I will remain an Heritage client. (Bought my first Mercedes SL nearly 30 years ago and for the same reasons, I've stayed with them...six cars in a row.)

As the winter progresses her in sunny Naples on Florida's southwest coast, I may have more to report.

All the Best,
Captain Stan
All the Best,
Captain Stan
2006 American Heritage 600HP
40 REPLIES 40

Stratman50th
Explorer
Explorer
My Good Captain,
I searched and searched for this little gem of a story but couldn't remember who wrote it or what it was titled. I think I found it again by typing in Pelican Bay. But regardless, what a great story neighbor! Eldersburg here in the USSS of MD. Soon to be the proud owner of a brand new, to me ๐Ÿ˜‰ 2006 Country Coach 42' Magna 630. Can't wait to start my own adventures! In the mean time... please keep the updates coming!

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Dude! So much fun to read and share in your journey. We are not full timing yet, but will. Have fun and know that while there are times (and folks) to help us be serious, there are also times to kick back, put your toes in the sand, fill that shaker with ice and reposado with lime and just watch the golf cart parade! Hope to meet you sometime. Safe journey.
Tom
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Nice post CapItan! This race would be close!

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie discovers electricity:

Now that I have your attention, I will attempt to relieve the gnawing anxiety you have no doubt felt since reading of the untimely death of our forward A/C. Turns out that your Intrepid Captain (IC) was correct. The weak link in the chain we call our forward A/C was the start capacitor! Also something which perches atop said capacitor, called simply enough a motor starter, had joined in a mutual suicide pact with the capacitor and had died an apparently fiery death. (It was so melted that its own mother wouldn't have recognized it!)

Armed with the certain knowledge of which parts were required, IC began a web search for them. Tip: Naples, FL is NOT the epicenter of electrical parts for do-it-yourself air conditioning repair persons. Incredible as it may seem, I finally found a supplier who had me meet him behind a Shell station on CORKSCREW ROAD, in Estero, Fl. Money was furtively exchanged for TWO sets of these components, and we quickly went our separate ways. After a short period of watching my rear view mirrors, I was able to ascertain that the exchange on Corkscrew Rd. was NOT part of an elaborate FBI sting aimed at stopping the black market trade in start capacitors.

Dawdling, your IC took the scenic, very long path home.

Upon returning to the coach, your IC was met by three hot Westies and their overheated Westie Mom. Naught was said, but I gathered that my nomination for hubby of the year would be delayed indefinitely. Sensing the gathering storm clouds of spousal dissatisfaction, your IC began immediately the surgery required to reinvigorate our errant A/C. Voila, done. Let there be cooling breezes upon my family! Peace and harmony restored, etc. etc. HOTY nomination still in doubt, but as Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day".

An interesting thing happened late this afternoon. A very nice fellow, looking incredibly like former NASCAR champion Darryl Waltrip, rode his bike past our homestead and hollered to me " Are you Captain Stan?" Answering in the affirmative I invited Darryl (his name is really Jim, but to protect his anonymity, we shall call him Darryl) to sit and chat a spell. He explained that although he is an infrequent visitor to the RV boards, he stumbled upon my travel notes, dare I say blog? Realizing that he was in the very same Pelican Lake RV Resort as your Intrepid Captain, Jim, er, Darryl set out to meet the legend in person. As we spoke, Darryl told of his and his bride's decision to buy a coach and "hit the road" with their two pre-teen heirs. They home school them while showing them the wonders of our great nation. These are really lucky young ones!!! The family is from Denver, but has led the nomadic life for the past several years. I was sorry to hear that my new friend would leave these parts for another adventure at the end of the month...

This evening we ventured into old Naples seeking a proper bar. Luckily, we stumbled into Tommy Bahamas Bar and promptly met Missy, her attractive girl friend Robin and Tom a charming local banker who was hitting on both of them. Conversation was upbeat and fun, but too soon it became time to wish our new buddies "Bon Chance", and head back to the coach. Before we left them they each gave us a few pointers about new watering holes to check out. Rest comfortably in the knowledge that all recommended dispensaries of spirits will be thoroughly investigated, and dutifully reported.

Until later,

Captain Stan
All the Best,
Captain Stan

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

All Class A coaches over 28 feet are welcomed here...I think I am correct about the minimum length.

Regarding the Camaro SS. If the course involves sharp curves, heavy braking, and short straight-aways, I do believe the ol' Benz would make me proud! We can do a 0-60 time between 3.9 and 4.1 seconds, but I suspect your Detroit iron would beat me senseless in that category.
All the Best,
Captain Stan

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
P.S. Do you reckon that hot Mercedes can take my Camaro SS?

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Captain!

Now I'm enjoying this log of your journeys! I love American Coaches as a buddy of mine has a mint 99 Heritage. Very cool. Right now I'm part of the poor gang and have a little 32 ft Sunseeker. But I did follow that big Heritage all the way to Colorado last summer sucking them glorious diesel fumes in all the way.

Me being a rowdy type A too! I at first thought that speeding through the Countryside was quite the gasser. But after driving 9000 miles, I have learned to slow down and enjoy the cruise. 6 hrs per day is plenty of driving .

Now seeins that they probably wouldn't let one so lowly as myself in that campground you are residing at this fine winter, I probably won't meet you unless I make it to that very cool hangout called Stans. If'n I do, the first round is on me!

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
More from Newbie:

Sunday, december 8th. Caught 6:30 AM flight from Ft Meyers to Salisbury, MD. Apparently, the US Air pilots were not as drowsy as I, and accordingly, landed us safely and on time in Salisbury. Friend and sometimes ship mate Joey picked me up and took me to Ocean City's annual chili cook-off. During this gastronomical assault, we watched the incredible Ravens/Vikings game during which FIVE touchdowns were scored in the final TWO MINUTES! Ravens won. Yea!

Monday, December 9th:

Icy, rainy, temperatures in the low 30s. (Why on earth do I live here?) At any rate, the motorcycle haulers arrive around noon, towing an ancient low-boy trailer which is already carrying two Harley full dressers and the frame from a Ford F-150 pick up truck. (Sometimes my narratives will contain non-essential factoids, but in this case, I felt that mention of the rusty truck frame would prove invaluable in helping the reader envision the circumstances into which I was thrusting our heretofore immaculate scooters) Wasting no time, the hauler and his assistant loaded our two Suzukis, promised to deliver them to Naples by early Wednesday morning, and drove off.

I had planned to start back to Florida on Wednesday, but given the horrible (and getting worse) weather, I decided to quickly gather up my meager travel essentials and start immediately back to Naples...some 1200 miles away. By 1 PM the Mercedes was "in the wind". I'll dispense with details here and simply say that around 1AM I pulled in to a disreputable looking roadside inn in Baldwin, FL (west of Jacksonville) for a short night's rest. The check-in procedure involved me standing outside a bullet-proof window with one of those sliding trays they use to feed prisoners in max security jails, passing my credit card to a bored and sleepy looking night clerk.

The room was ok. The crime tape had been removed, the chalk outline on the floor barely visible, and the dark stains in the carpet were at least dry. I slept well.

At 7AM the next day, (Tuesday) got under way for the remaining miles to Naples. Put the top down and enjoyed passing thru Florida's hilly horse country around Ocala. This place looks not even remotely like the rest of Florida, but is beautiful in its own way.

Around mid-day stopped in Cape Coral to get the car washed at a really good car wash I knew of. Pulled into Pelican Lake around 2PM. Took darling bride to a fun BBQ joint named Cracklin' Jack's for dinner. I truly believe that no one has ever eaten ALL of the food they serve you. We took doggie bags full of Jack's vittles with us when we departed.

Wednesday around mid morning, the scooters arrived looking rather like WWII military surplus rejects, having been drug through miles and miles of ice storms, rain and lord knows what else. That said, there was no damage to them at all. Afternoon cleaned and polished both scoots and took mine for a ride into Marco Island.

Did I mention that my bicycling is now up to 12 miles per day, averaging 11.5 mph?. Today I burned 1220 calories during my ride. (That should make a small dent in my Cracklin' Jack's caloric orgy!!!).

Took a few pictures of the now fully assembled fleet...

Attention:

Career opportunity in the exciting field of FLEET MANAGEMENT. Charming, handsome Intrepid Captain seeks fleet manager to manage modest, but growing fleet of fun vehicles. Applicants are encouraged to lie regarding their relevant experience, since IC wouldn't know the difference anyway. Attractive women with questionable moral code given priority in the hiring process. Possession of the recipe for Apple Pie Moonshine definately a plus!

Also snapped this picture showing a bit of the cool attitude here...

This afternoon, we did our semi-daily pilgrimage to Walmart. ( I'm beginnin' to think that the pictures I see on the internet of the Walmart shoppers are all a hoax! The people I see look positively NORMAL! OK, they MAY look a bit more tanned than is either normal or healthy, but all-in-all, they look like everyday folks, with nary a carnival side show star among them.

Back at the coach we arrive to discover that our forward air conditioner has decided that we needed no more cool air. This is, as far as I'm concerned, an erroneous assumption, and further, I don't appreciate such decisions being made for me!! Defying the wishes of said A/C, I poked around a bit and have come to believe that the traitorous unit has a faulty "start capacitor". Why do I think that you ask? Simple. I surfed the internet, discarded the answers I didn't like and chose "start capacitor" as the likely culprit. Tomorrow will involve your intrepid captain taking his over large body up on the roof to test his hypothesis.

Did I tell you about my first experience with a locally produced beverage called Apple Pie Moonshine? It is sinfully delicious, but plays tricks on your memory. It is well over 100 proof and, as nearly as I can discern, highly explosive! Thankfully, I quit smoking several months ago or I would be a simple vapor trail by now...

We continue to meet our neighbors and so far all have been nice folks. Most have a dog or two, so my golf cart, bicycle and scooter all are well stocked with tasty puppy treats (pigs in a blanket, to be precise). The pups like me. Not yet sure about the people.

More to follow...

Sweating in the forward section of the coach,
Captain Stan
All the Best,
Captain Stan

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to put 400 in the little box that says width!
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
All the Best,
Captain Stan

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
OK, OK I screwed that up. You have to copy and paste those URLs to see the pics.

Here, I try again, in the same order
The Beast:
http://i.imgur.com/NyOfXzC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2K9ftoy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zmMvJY8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NyOfXzC.jpg

Pelican Lakes
http://i.imgur.com/NNhWDiZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1B9kU3Q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/B1dduhf.jpg

Wilson, the Singing Jack Russell
http://i.imgur.com/KK8c4Uu.jpg

Pics of Wilson above the bar
http://i.imgur.com/i0zj4eg.jpg
All the Best,
Captain Stan

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer

All you need to do now is take the URL for the photo and add .jpg at the end, and click on the little icon next to the envelope above the text box (in the reply field) Paste in the photo URL and put 400 as width and you're all set to go.

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
Woodglue, Thank you! I shall now try to post links which may help one visualize our adventures:

The "beast":
http://imgur.com/9F97ii9
http://imgur.com/B1dduhf
http://imgur.com/zmMvJY8
http://imgur.com/2K9ftoy

Pelican Lakes:
http://imgur.com/NNhWDiZ
http://imgur.com/1B9kU3Q
http://imgur.com/B1dduhf

Wilson, the singing Jack Russell
http://imgur.com/KK8c4Uu

Pics of Wilson above the bar
http://imgur.com/i0zj4eg
All the Best,
Captain Stan

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to post pictures:

Visit this website:

Imgur

Upload an image from your computer. Get a direct URL (ends in .jpg)

Click on the icon to the right of the little envelope above the text box that you reply in and paste the photo URL. In width, put a number less than 640 (450 usually works pretty well)

Click post and you're done.

Hope that helps,

WoodGlue