cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newmar Mountain Aire slide out problem

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Mountain Aire by Newmar, LOVE IT!! BUT, I opened the slide out in LVRM and one of the arms was NOT completely down when it was going out so a crunching noise and I stopped it immediately, fixed the arm and it want out fine. When I brought it back in, it looked like the arm in front was a little bowed so pushed it to fix it. Put in and out fine after that HOWEVER, about two weeks after that occurred went to storage and noticed the slide out at the other end was NOT in completely from midway up side to mid way almost on bottom not touching the side of the rig. OY!! I put it out yesterday and went out fine but coming back in making sure the arms are completely down, it came in fine until it was close and then made bang noise and it continued to come in but still not touching the side of the rig from midway up side down and around to mid way at the bottom. ANY ideas!! I checked and NOTHING is in the way. Wonder maybe the arms on the opposite side of the slideout may have bend a little too although it looked ok. Advice welcome.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
3 REPLIES 3

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on the bang, on a Newmar when you BEND the manual lock arms, if not totally straight and free will catch on the opening when extending and will BANG when the lock arm pops in place.
1. When you jam a Newmar slide system like you did, you got the room out of alignment. Unless you or someone you know has done this adjustment, I would leave it to a Newmar qualified shop. WE are Newmar experienced and charge 1 hour labor($140) to align Newmar rooms. It is NOT as easy as the Video's show if you can still find them. Newmar has a Patented Slide Motor/Transmission system and is NOT adjusted like other electric slide gear systems. You have to break the Trans torque bushings loose from the motor and driveshaft to then align the room. Take the Lock arms loose and straighten on a bench with a vise. You must get them totally straight and when removed will see how they fold up together to not bind. Doug

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Post in the Newmar forum on IRV2.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The "bang" is the give away for me. Sounds like you either broke a tooth on the pinion gear or the shear bolt has broken and is still stuck in the shaft.

This pic shows both the pinion gear (small gear) and the shear bolt to the left of it in the shaft (it's over exposed).