Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No AC CURRENT to Winnebago Minnie Winnie

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
RE: 2000 Winnebago Minnie Winnie

I am at the COE park at Cochiti Lake near Santa Fe, NM

Early this morning the electricity cut off, but came back on shortly. I assumed it was the EMS PT30C doing its job. It cut off again and did not come back on. I checked the EMS at the electrical pedestal. All is normal. There are no error codes showing. The Winnebago handbook talks about a protective thermal breaker breaking the power to the converter section when overheating happens or when there is an obstruction of ventilation to the unit. The manual also indicates the thermal breaker will reset itself after a period of time. QUESTIONS: 1. Where do I find the converter section? 2. Is this a situation for an experienced Mobile Tech? 3. If so, can you recommend one in New Mexico or Arizona? THANKS.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
21 REPLIES 21

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE TO NO ELECTRICAL: After dealing with the non electrical situation early in the day yesterday and not knowing where it would go I contacted a Mobile RV Service in Arizona who recommended Dale's RV Service in Albuquerque. I immediately contacted him and he asked some very good questions and an appointment was made for this morning. Later in the evening after a talk with j-d I fixed the problem. I called this morning to cancel my appointment telling Dale I had fixed the problem. He asked about it and I described the wires burning through the wire nut. He immediately responded, "You're running space heaters". Yep was my reply. Said he had seen that so many times and that I needed to run space heaters off of their own cord. Just thought I'd pass along. Dale was very professional, Dale's RV Repair, 505-263-2255.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's great Mike and good talking with you! For those tracking this problem, there are two wiring diagrams. The legend at the corner of the one WITH a circuit breaker in that box includes "CSA" leading me to think a Canadian version would have the breaker. And the USA version would have only a splice in that box.
Anyhow, if both wires are solid (not flexible like the shore tie cable) then they should be #10 wire according to the diagram. Mike, picture how a wire coat hanger is made at the hook. BOTH wires are twisted so they interlock. If you can achieve that, it's far better than just getting them started into a twist that the wire nut can grab. The wire nut reinforces the joint and of course insulates it. It should twist tight and draw to a stop like you're tightening a nut onto a bolt. With all that complete, it's a good idea to bind it further with vinyl electrical tape.
Use a little Santa Fe time and walk the dog-friendly Plaza and visit the fantastic churches if you can. One features the Miracle Staircase.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
It's early morning in Santa Fe and electricity is working normal. I've made coffee and am running the heater...not on the same receptacle...but I'm pretty sure all on the same breaker. After talking with j-d via phone yesterday, his advice was to look in the junction box next to the generator plug in box. He thought there should be a breaker there. I told him there wasn't. His advice was to re-examine and look for something out of the ordinary. I did and found a burnt wire nut. I removed the nut, re-round and taped and voila; it worked and has continued to work. Also at j-d's advice I will buy new wire nuts, sand the wire and rebraid. Not knowing where all of this was going I made an appointment in Albuquerque for this morning that I will cancel. I think I'll also stay another day to verify that everything is working. THANKS TO EVERYONE. Each of your comments are much appreciated and were most helpful.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to everyone who responded....the problem appears to be solved...details to follow in a day or so...
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wiring Link

I looked at the diagrams for 29U and yes, seems only one GFI Wall Outlet, and it indicates those outlets downstream from it are wired to be GFI protected.

Yes, you can buy a GFI (aka GFCI) outlet at a hardware, home supply, Harbor Freight, etc.

But looking at the diagrams, I see two. One has a 30A Breaker in a box ahead of the Power center box.

Pull the diagrams up and see if you can tell from other aspects of the diagram which one you actually have. With or Without that extra 30A breaker?

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you go to the Winnebago web site.
Look up the wiring diagram for your year and model MH.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
The only GFCI I have found is in the kitchen area. The reset button is not pushed out for me to reset. What if it has gone bad and cannot be reset. Could that stop all of the current from entering the coach? Would it be an idea to replace the GFCI? Can one be bought at a hardware store? THANKS!
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
j-d

I have the 429U...I've looked for another GFCI...have reset the breakers...tried running from generator...I'm lost...your input is certainly appreciated.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure there's not another GFCI someplace? Either another Outlet, and sometimes a Breaker is GFCI...

Exactly which 2000 Minnie Winnie do you have? WF429U, WF430V, WF431A...

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
What I did midnight sadie...was unplug...plug into the generator and still no electricity.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea on the supply power problem midnight sadie...will see if my extension can run to the one on the next sight.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
this still could be a supply power problem, can you try a different power post at your CG.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the input. I have removed the EMS and am plugged directly into the receptacle. I have reset the breakers. I do not see a breaker labeled for the converter. As best I can figure all of my outlets are on one circuit...they are all off. Tried to get A/C to work...not. As of now I have no electricity in the unit. I'll let you know of any update. And I would continue to appreciate any help.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our AC outlets are on 15A breakers. More like "A 15A breaker" as there are only 2 or 3 breakers feeding all the outlets.
Anyhow, our 15A breakers won't support a coffee-maker AND a heater if both are cycled in at the same time.
Especially if the campground voltage is low due to limited incoming power and high demand from the campers.
Yes, a GFCI can go bad. Again, substitute - coffee-maker and/or heater to a different outlet, different lamp and/or appliance to the GFCI outlet you suspect.