Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No power from new batteries

Matt_NY
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
(newbie alert)
We just purchased a 2000 Rexhall Vision (Class A). The batteries were shot, so I bought new ones (Autocraft Marine/RV Group size 24M). Now I have no power at all unless I am plugged in to my household power. I have checked all the breakers (none are tripped or off). What else can I check?

Thanks,
Matt-NY
13 REPLIES 13

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
When I google the battery it shows that it is a 12 v starting battery . the coach battery should be the only starting battery
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

adondo
Explorer
Explorer
My little trick when changing batteries is to use colored Tyraps. (Tie-wraps, whatever) Sometimes we get into large battery backup systems, so the same idea works.

On a motorhome, attach black Tyraps to every negative terminal leaving the batteries. (ignore 6 volt battery jumpers) Use red Tyraps for all chassis positives, and yellow for house positives.

The marked black are all frame-ground common, so it matters little how they go back. The red and yellow wires/cables need to just go back to the proper battery set.

As for 6 volt batteries, (i.e. golf cart) just count the caps. Each cap (cell) is about 2 volts. A 12 volt battery has six caps, a 6 volt battery has three caps. You need SIX fill caps for ALL motorhome house battery sets. The jumpers are to go from positive to negative on a pair of 6 volt batteries, and that's why I said to mark with Tyraps the cables that leave the set to head to whatever. If you have four golf carts, then you need TWO sets of six cells/caps.
FMCA# F355513. 40 foot Safari Continental, one slide, Cat powered Magnum Blue Max chassis, PAC brake PRXB, Allison MD3060, Aqua-Hot, 7.5 KW Quiet Diesel, Howard PCS, Velvet Ride suspension. 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
And take a picture of your battery bay - including close ups of what is connected where. Never, ever remove batteries without a good picture(s) of what is currently working!

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Matt; First turn off your battery disconnect. If you have two 12 volt batteries then put them in side by side with terminals matching, by this I mean positives at one end ans neg. at the other. Using your short jumper cables connect the red to positive terminals and black to neg. Connect the red cables from the coach to the positive of one of the batteries (doesn't matter which one as long as they reach and are not stretched tight). Now connect the black wire from the coach (ground) to the other battery ground. When done you will have the red coach cables to one of the positive terminals and the black ground to the other batteries negative. Always connect the ground wire last so you don't short out any wrenches. Use a multimeter to verify you have 12 volts at your battery disconnect, not 24 volts before turning it back on.
Google "12 volt side of life" for diagrams if you have any doubt about how to do this.
Blessings; KDK
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Matt_NY
Explorer
Explorer
CT, good point. I have 5 cables. There are two jumpers along with the the two Red and one Black.
Matt

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Assume can cause you money if you are not right. Ring out your wires to find the ground cable. That would be neg. You said you have 2 Red and 1 Black cable. You need four cables two are jumpers to connect positive to positive and the other one goes negative to negative.

Matt_NY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I think I found the problem... It was the installer (namely me). When we disconnected the old batteries, we failed to take note which cables were connected to what terminals on the batteries. There was one cable left disconnected (and somehow was hidden from sight). By the time I bought new batteries and installed them, we forgot which cables go where. Now my question is: There are two Red wires and one Black wire. Do I assume that the Red are hot (Pos) and the black is (Neg)? Also, there are only two 12V batteries - does it matter which battery the cables go to?
Thanks again,
Matt-NY

adondo
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound silly, but did you remove the red plastic caps? I have a friend who works at Napa, and he says they get at least 3 people a week who put the cables on top of the plastic caps, and thus insulating the cable. (And complain about "bad" batteries) :B
FMCA# F355513. 40 foot Safari Continental, one slide, Cat powered Magnum Blue Max chassis, PAC brake PRXB, Allison MD3060, Aqua-Hot, 7.5 KW Quiet Diesel, Howard PCS, Velvet Ride suspension. 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Did you remember to reconnect the ground wire?
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
After verifying that they are hooked up properly, look for the "salesman switch". Probably near the entrance door.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you hooked them up right. I always mark the positive cables with red tape, and take a pic before unhooking. That way I have a reference to look at when hooking them back up.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

J_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
I feel sure that you have a switch to disconnect the batteries. It looks like the batteries are switched off.
Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the battery disconnect switch is ON.