cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

not charging

satelliteman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Forest River w/454 on a p-30 Alternator that has checked out good. But not charging the system. Have checked wires and all connections for ohms and voltage coming from and to where it goes. But still no charge. If you unhook the battery it will die. Where do I go next?
32Ft. Forest River w/454 on chevy chassis
99 Mustang convertable toad
Tonka the St. Barnard
14 REPLIES 14

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
Some Isolators require a voltage from the ignition switch and on that line there is a low amp fuse. Look for that fuse if it's that type isolator.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
Measure voltage on the post of isolator that alternator wire came from. Should be 13-14.5 volts to frame with motor on. Chances are connections are bad. If I were you I would replace the diode isolator with a solenoid type, especially if it is original from 1998. You can tell if you have one like others mentioned: heat sink= diode isolator, can shape with posts = mechanical solenoid. The voltage loss from the diode ones are brutal. At idle rpm you probably are draining the batteries. I don't know why these are installed since they are both more expensive and don't work very well at all.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are often protective deices in the alternator lead, (Fuses/fusable link/Circuit breaker)

I would start with a charged battery (use external charger if you need to)
and then check for voltage at the BIG terminal on the alternator. if it is there hook a 100 watt 12 volt "Trouble light" to said terminal (And ground) put the other clip on the alternator housing, not the engine, not another ground, the alternator housing) bright light is good.

If you don't find voltage then back up the leads towards the battery until you do.

Problem is between voltage (or light) and dark

NOTE: THe reason for connecting the light between the alternator's big terminal and the alternator's housing... I've had a case were the alternator did nto ground properly.. The solution was to remove one mounting bolt, add a "Star" type lock washer (many teeth) and replace.

On a `1998 I do not think this next paragraph will apply but I've seen it on older vehicles.. FIVE TIMES (one was even mine)

Back in the days when the fan belt was a 'V' Belt instead of the modern Serpentine belts... Loose belt (on mine it was actually the wrong belt) lets the alternator pully slip

As I said. Have seen FIVE times.. Well 4+1 The 1 the belt was not just loose.. This was a brand new sticker in the window car and the belt was.. NOT,, Period. it was MIA, Factory never installed it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

satelliteman
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for what you have added for now. Both battery and house is not charging. I have voltage out of the alternator and all the way to the asolator that is where I get lost
Tonka the St. Barnard

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
which system is not charging? there are two, one for the house, one for the engine starting
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check ALL connections, especially the negative ground. Remove it and clean it. Also make sure when the vehicle is on that the battery reads 13.4V or higher.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is 2 fusible links at the starter solenoid, chances are you have one bad.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
for one disconnecting battery while engine is running is the worst thing you can do if alt. was working right it would lead to blowing out other electrical componits start engine and cheak voltage out big wire on alt should be between 13.5 and 14.2 volts if not turn engine off cheak volts at big wire should be 12 if ok cheak cheak the smaller wire one should have 12 volts with key off another one should have 12 volts with key on

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Sat,

If it stops when you disconnect the battery, then (as you noted) the battery is not the problem. What is the problem is the alternator or its connections.

You said you ohmed things out. I will assume you have some kind of meter. So, Let's do the whole diagnostic starting at the top.
As said, the battery is not the problem, but it should be 12.6 if fully charged and at 12.0 is about done. If we are in that range lets go on.
Start the main engine. Now, find the post on the back of the alternator. Measure voltage there. There may be a cover that you have to get past. Measure both the post and the cable terminal. They should be the same. (If not, clean the connection.)

=>If it is the same as the battery, the alternator is toast.
=>If it is way higher than the battery, there is a bad connection.

Keep moving down the alternator output cable until you find where the voltage changes some amount. If it is a connection, Fix that. If that does not change things, keep going down the cable.

There are two different means to attach alternators to RV systems.
One is beast called an isolator that is a large heat sink with three (or more) terminals. If you find one of these, again measure voltages. Usually the alternator is in the middle and the house banks is on one end and the main engine start is on the other. If it is working right, the alternator post should be highest voltage and the other two no more than 0.7V less. If it is different than that, you problem is close by. Each of those terminals goes off to a battery.
The other method is called a charging contactor or combiner and it looks like a Ford solenoid. The engine power is on one side and the house is on the other. When the engine is running, both posts should be the same.
There is some strangeness that can happen with these, so if you have not found the problem by now, come back here with what you do find and I will make suggestions for other tests.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

satelliteman
Explorer
Explorer
Just not getting the power to the system
Tonka the St. Barnard

satelliteman
Explorer
Explorer
with good battery power it will start and run. Till I unhook the battery, then it dies
Tonka the St. Barnard

satelliteman
Explorer
Explorer
have tried a new battery
Tonka the St. Barnard

satelliteman
Explorer
Explorer
have changed the battery to two different ones and no change
Tonka the St. Barnard

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the battery out and put it on a charger. Fully charge and take it to a battery shop of local auto parts store and have it load tested. Probably ypu will find battery is toast.