cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not for us

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I’m sad to say I think my wife and I have decided that, after 6 months of full timing, it is not for us. Neither is living in a 55+ resort.

We are in Palm Creek in Casa Grande, AZ. The park is beautiful and there is lots to do here but my wife is 54 and works from home 40 hours a week. I started a machinery distributorship with a partner and I am out 3-4 days a week making sales calls during the day. So, other than the occasional show in the evening we really can’t take advantage of all there is to offer. Plus everyone here is at least 10 years older than me and probably 15-20 years older than my wife so we really don’t fit in.

As far as the motor home goes, it’s a 2022 Allegro Open Road 36LA. It’s nice enough but we miss not having the space that a home provides. Yes, I know we should have probably rented something and tried it first before buying but even spending a week or two doesn’t compare to full time living. I never thought there would be so much to do to the motor home. It’s always dumping black tanks every 4 days, recharging the soft water system every two weeks, descaling the Truma every few weeks, refilling the propane tank every other week, etc., etc.

I’m sure if I had done more homework prior to diving in I would have been better prepared but, it is what it is.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4
61 REPLIES 61

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are different ways to fulltime. One way is as you have done, parked the RV in a resort seasonally or longer. The benefit is that you can work more easily as you can establish strong wifi access for telework on a regular basis and you can go get a job locally. The downside is that it is more comparable to a stick and brick home and it's difficult for an RV to compete for stationary living due to the space limitations and the extra work involved.

Another way to fulltime is to travel around. This really brings out the advantage of living in an RV as you can go most anywhere for as long as you want - the limited space and extra work are balanced by the ability to bring your home everywhere you go. The downside is that it can be more difficult to work while you go. Wifi can be spotty or non-existent in places. And outside of freelance work where you set the schedule and type of work, it can be difficult to hold the same job as you travel if you need to be "in person".

I would say that if you plan on both working in five years time, get back into a house. Then take vacations out in the RV to travel. Enjoy the mobility aspect of the RV. You may find a compromise that works.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Well everything you wrote is true when you strip away the romance of the open road. Where I think you may have short changed yourself was in experiences. What you spoke about was all activities. Yes RVING is also a lot of work. You even have a good new rig. Imagine a ten year old gasser. I always laugh when I read the romance of owning a vintage Bluebird.

Good luck on your next chapter.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.