cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OBD-i and OBD-ii did a '96-'97 F53 ever have diagnostic plug

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
I have a situation trying to have a smog check done on my F53 chassis, the chassis was Ford built June '96 but the MH is registered as a '97,
and either way the local California smog test station I go to now after smogging it for me over past 20 years now wants to plug in to an OBD-ii connector and there isn't one.

Smog checks are required here every 2 years in order to re-register. The CA Bureau of Automotive repairs lists our 17,000 chassis as having the OBD plug but it isn't there, never has been.

Anyone know a way around this problem?
Get off the phone and drive!
20 REPLIES 20

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think like stated under the dog house toward the Left wheel on the firewall or just in front of the left wheel inboard. Use to be some pictures on here somewhere.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1996+obd1+connector+F53+chassis&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=cWY6CzKvXHYktM%252ClAM1ja74UHVeAM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS3N0KFLVvp9ASIOsElG-GqKiNsLw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii8f-QlP7uAhWdAZ0JHXbmD0UQ9QF6BAgdEAE#imgrc=cWY6CzKvXHYktM

just info. this is not the same shape as the obd11 connector. Only has 3 to 5 pins . this has pictures where it is located

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it has an OBD II connector on an F53. I had a 95 Explorer that had the OBDII connector but the system was still running EEC IV software. Its very possible the F53 may still have an EEC IV connector under the hood.

If it has the OBDII connector it should be on the right side of the steering column either mounted to the plastic dash or on the column itself

Either way, that's Cali for ya!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
high on the steering column and under the dash sounds impossible to get access.

I went through both of the Ford manuals on the chassis and there is no mention

of an OBD plug or diagnostics plug anywhere.

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
the chassis is a Ford 1996 F53 built June 1996

The registration says Georgie Boy 1997

so under the engine hatch or high on the steering column?

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
My 1997 Coachmen Catalina had an OBD-1 under the doghouse on the driver's side. PITA to get at it.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure about your year.
Some Ford F53 has the OBD connector mounted high on the steering column under the dash. It has a funny cover protecting the receptacle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker