cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining non commcercial Class B license in MD.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine just bought a new Palazzo 36.1. it barely pushes over the threshold where they will need to update their license class. They went to the MD MVA and were told they no longer offer the non- commercial version so they have to take the commercial CDL test. This does not sound right to me. Anyone take it recently in MD? I know you can ask 4 people at the MVA and get 4 different answers.
2013 ACE 29.2
7 REPLIES 7

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
If you have never set foot in the MD MVA you just wouldn't understand....Ask one of the employees where the bathroom is and he don't know---but he is sitting on the commode.

X2 !!!!!!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have never set foot in the MD MVA you just wouldn't understand....Ask one of the employees where the bathroom is and he don't know---but he is sitting on the commode.

jonesy
Explorer
Explorer
I got my non-commercial class B recently in Waldorf, MD. I failed test first time because I was unprepared (studied what website said to use - rv handout and regular DL manual). Second time I studied pertinent section of CDL book and passed easily. Driving test was a treat - they were confused about whether or not I needed a licensed driver to get there but I won that one (didnt have one). I was treated like 16yr old on drive. Obvious that not many folks actually get their license.
Greg, Wendy and the kids
2009 Monaco Camelot 42KFQ

doubleG
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2007, I actually spoke to a sup and he asked why bother, most don't. I did just to make sure for insurance reasons that one has the required license to operate. Like in first post, ask 10 questions, get 10 dif answers at MVA. Gotta do your homework and be safe/legal.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Under federal regulations that the state DMVs are now suppose to follow, to have a CDL, you have to have a DOT medical physical and hold a job requiring the CDL. Many of the states are not pulling CDLs from those who do not have a driving job where they are required. Like Docnascar says, if the person waiting on you doesn't know, ask for the supervisor. If the supervisor doesn't know, contact MVACS@mdot.state.md.us or call 410-768-7000. Have all your information together before you e-mail or call. And be very specific on how you word your questions. The less that they have to pull out of you, the quicker you will get your answer.

My DW has worked in a DMV office and you would not believe the amount of time they spend drawing needed information out of people who for unknown reasons don't want to give it up. "What class of license do you need?", "How much does your motorhome weigh?", How long is your motorhome?", "What is your street address", and on and on and on!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Effy I also have a home in Glen Burnie and tried to settle this several times at the DMV and got no where so I have just kept on driving---just this summer I had my drivers license and registration checked at a check point and they just thanked me and handed it back. Isn't it required to know nothing to work at the DMV?

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-Services/Apply/license-class-codes.htm

and

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-Services/Apply/recreational-vehicle-info.htm

If the employee at the MVA doesn't know goto a supervisor.
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH