cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 7.5 HDKAJ Diesel generator Error 19 problem

cotten31
Explorer
Explorer
My 7.5 HDKAJ Diesel generator shutdown. It will not even try to turn over right now. The light blinks 3 times and the error code is 19. Manual say to bring to the shop. The shop can't see me for another 3 weeks. I have replaced the fuel filter as I read that could be the issue but that didn't change anything.

1. Do I have to "reset" the generator for it to try and start again since it doesn't even turn over now? Disconnect and reconnect power?

2. Any ideas on what the error 19 could be?

Thanks for any help.
1 REPLY 1

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
From my service manual for HDKAJ, HDKAK, HDKAT:

GOVERNOR ACTUATOR FAULTโ€”CODE NO. 19
(Controller sensed open or short circuit)
1. Remove the front housing panel (p. 6-4) and reconnect the engine wiring harness connectors E1-1 and E1-2 to the governor actuator if they are loose. Polarity does not matter (p. 19-1, 13-1).
2. Measure actuator coil resistance with a digital ohmmeter. Replace the actuator stator assembly if coil resistance is not 1.7 to 2.8 ohms.
3. Disconnect engine harness connector P1 from the controller assembly (p. 19-1, 19-4). Check for electrical continuity between pin P1-1 and quick connector E1-1 and between E1-2 and ground. Replace the engine harness if either leg lacks electrical continuity. Also check for missing, bent or corroded terminals and connector pins and repair or reconnect as necessary.