cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan oil filter threads damaged

Carm
Explorer
Explorer
Onan 7000. Performing the season-end oil change yesterday, the oil filter was really hard to get off, had to use a breaker-bar on the oil-filter socket to break the filter loose. That's a really bad omen. Instead of spinning right off, I had to really work to unscrew the filter.

Once the filter was removed, I had a look at the threaded mount on the generator: all the threads are damaged and the tip, with the last couple of threads, was missing. Looked into the oil filter and there's the broken section stuck in the oil filter threads.

I am assuming that I've run into the age-old problem of dis-similar metals fusing together - the steel threads on the oil filter bonding to the aluminum threads on the generator.

In any case: now what? The generator has to come out so I can get at the damaged filter mount. But then what? If there is enough material left I might be able to clean up the remaining threads with a die. Maybe.

Has anyone had this issue? How did you fix it? can it be repaired?
1994 Bounder 32, F53, 460
33 REPLIES 33

Carm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies already.

wolfe10: I'll get the part and model number, all I know off the top is that it's an Onan Emerald 7000 in my 1994 Bounder.

enblethen: I'm hoping it's an adapter screwed into the block. With a flashlight yesterday it looked like aluminum threads and didn't look like an adapter. I'll remove the generator and take off all the shrouds, it's about time for an out-of-vehicle service anyway. I'll probably wait for next Spring: our winter weather arrived with a vengeance this morning and we're expecting at least 2 inches of rain a day for the next several days. After that it'll just be regular rain for the next 6 months.

We cant Wait: 'Dis-similar metals fusing together usually occurs only after a prolonged period of contact - like YEARS' I agree with you. I don't use the generator much but do change the oil/filter once a year. I've never seen anything like it.
1994 Bounder 32, F53, 460

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Dis-similar metals fusing together usually occurs only after a prolonged period of contact - like YEARS.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Use a flash light and look closely at the threaded portion. It should be an adapter screwed into the block. I could not find exact parts breakdown. Would need engine model and spec number.
Should be available without too much problem. Getting it out took a deep socket.
Mine was a Emerald 4000. Got piece from Onan/ Cummins in Renton, WA

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What are model number and spec for your Onan?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/