cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

original price to what sells for used 10 years later?

rb71
Explorer
Explorer
Let's say I bought a 2006 whatever class A diesel for 100000 in 2006. What would be the value of it now? I'm thinking 50000 miles on it (5k a year) stored under cover used but not abused.

I'm wondering if since inflation has gone up so much that you wouldnt/didn't lose so much money?

Just curious on everyones thoughts

I'm thinking you would lose 25000 to 35000. So it would be 2500 to 3500 a year.
Bobby
2014 Ram 3500 mega dually
2013 Voltage 3895
Pullrite 4400
31 REPLIES 31

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Coffee Grinder wrote:
Looking to purchase a used class A and curious about how long the diesel is good for. Never owned a diesel and not sure of maintainece required

Sometimes a person will start thier own post instead of hijacking someone else's post.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Coffee Grinder wrote:
Looking to purchase a used class A and curious about how long the diesel is good for. Never owned a diesel and not sure of maintainece required

Everything depends on maintenance. I don't think a RV'er could wear-out a well maintained diesel engine. They really can go 1,000,000 miles or more, but that will not be for free.

I was at Prevost in Nashville several months ago having service done and a guy was there having the starter replaced on his 'entertainer' coach as he had 550,000 miles on a '09 unit. He felt that was about the life expectancy of a starter and didn't want a failure.

Preventive maintenance is your friend. I know a guy who changes out all his batteries at 5 yrs. He feels that is the full life of batteries and doesn't want the problems that come with bad batteries.

Everyone has to pick their comfort level.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Coffee_Grinder
Explorer
Explorer

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I went to nada.com and arbitrarily picked a 2006 38' Bounder. Has a "suggested list price" new of $178k and a current "average retail" price of $70k. Obviously the "suggested list price" is considerably higher than the actual new sale price, but the 10 yr old current value is probably around half the original new sale price.

Also keep in mind that it's gonna be a very lucky seller for actually getting a buyer at $70K.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in the day, Class A motorhomes were mainly designed for couples. Most floor plans had a bedroom with a king or queen size bed. Most had couches and dinettes that made into beds, but the design for was for couples. Class C's often came with bunks and the over cab beds and were more designed for families. More modern Class A makers do seem to be making "family" models with bunk beds and other features. My favorite is a design that has fold down bunk beds in a side room, and when you fold the beds up the entire room becomes a closet. Best of both worlds.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rb71
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the replies,

It's hard to compare older models to what I want. I want to get a bunkhouse and the older floor plans don't compare to today's dp.

The only dp that I know to compare is a fleetwood 40g. But I don't know what the original price it sold for.

Probably the best way to look at campers is like a land yahts. It's a fun and expensive hobby.
Bobby
2014 Ram 3500 mega dually
2013 Voltage 3895
Pullrite 4400

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

2006 Bounder DP

Just because they are asking that price does not mean they will get that price.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you want to get an idea of REAL selling prices, rather than NADA guesses or "asking" prices, go to eBay and find a coach similar to what you would consider. Then look at COMPLETED auctions. Those with the price in green will give the dollar figure that someone was actually willing to pay. You will find that most coaches do not sell at their asking prices and those that do sell are sold at well below the NADA guide values.

That's one way to try to determine the market on items, and I use the method myself, but very carefully and with a grain of salt. There is one caveat in using this method that makes it very difficult to determine if those green numbers are "real sales", that is, completed auctions that were actually paid for. If the high bidder never paid for the item, then that sold sale number is meaningless.

Ebay goes very easy on deadbeat bidders who are the winning bidders on items, but then don't pay for the item. If you look for it in the current items for sale, you will often find that the same "sold item" has been relisted. And often the same item may be "sold" more than once to deadbeat bidders, then re-listed in search of a real money bidder! This is further complicated by the fact that there is a time lag between when the item shows as sold, and when the item is usually re-listed. This delay is due to the fact that if the seller wants his sale fees refunded from Ebay, the required process of allowing the high bidder the required time to pay, then the process his non-payment so that Ebay will refund seller fees, will take an absolute minimum of a week to two weeks.

As a long time Ebay seller myself, I found that the auction style sale attracts the most deadbeat bidders. Fixed price sales don't attract near as many deadbeat bidders, so I very seldom sell items via auction method, instead determining what I feel the market will bear for the item, then selling it at a fixed price.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
flagstickfrank wrote:
One major problem I have found is that several repair shops, Freight-liner, La Mesa RV, etc. have stopped working on ten year
old coaches. I bought two year old DP for $120K, now worth $20K.(and that's trade in value)
And it's in very good condition. Motor homes don't hold their value
very well, and older ones are almost worthless compared to original cost. I don't feel they are good investments except for the pleasure they give you.

Just curious, do you hit the return button now and then, some of your sentences never stay together?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to get an idea of REAL selling prices, rather than NADA guesses or "asking" prices, go to eBay and find a coach similar to what you would consider. Then look at COMPLETED auctions. Those with the price in green will give the dollar figure that someone was actually willing to pay. You will find that most coaches do not sell at their asking prices and those that do sell are sold at well below the NADA guide values.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I went to nada.com and arbitrarily picked a 2006 38' Bounder. Has a "suggested list price" new of $178k and a current "average retail" price of $70k. Obviously the "suggested list price" is considerably higher than the actual new sale price, but the 10 yr old current value is probably around half the original new sale price.
I highly doubt you could actually get $70,000 for a 10 year old bounder, even if it was never used. Depreciation on a Motorhome is probably very similar to depreciation of an auto. 10 years old, you can maybe get 20 to 25 percent of the original purchase price on the sale of a normal auto (10 year old GMC Arcadia was around $36,000 new, no way it sells for more than $9,0000 if it has 100K miles, which is low usage of 10,000 miles per year). My guess is that Bounder probably sold new for around $130K and $25K to $30K would come pretty close to buying to today in a realistic sale . (normal miles no owner financing, not traded in retail to retail. Hasn't been completely gutted and redone with new electronics, flooring, fabrics etc.)

2006 Bounder DP

It's one think to ask that much, it's another thing to get it. This does look like a very clean low mileage motorhome so he may get close.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 was the real estate market crash and RV prices crashed right along with them. I bought my DP in 2004 for around $150k. It's under 40k miles and in great shape. I doubt I could get more than $40k for it right now.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I highly doubt you could actually get $70,000 for a 10 year old bounder, even if it was never used. Depreciation on a Motorhome is probably very similar to depreciation of an auto. 10 years old, you can maybe get 20 to 25 percent of the original purchase price on the sale of a normal auto (10 year old GMC Arcadia was around $36,000 new, no way it sells for more than $9,0000 if it has 100K miles, which is low usage of 10,000 miles per year). My guess is that Bounder probably sold new for around $130K and $25K to $30K would come pretty close to buying to today in a realistic sale . (normal miles no owner financing, not traded in retail to retail. Hasn't been completely gutted and redone with new electronics, flooring, fabrics etc.)

2006 Bounder DP
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a 2004 Terra 26Y new(55K out the door) kept IT CLEAN, ALWAYS UNDER A COVER. Sold it for 24K at 36k miles in 2015. New owner was looking for a short class A. Markets are what they bring