cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint checking - What years

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided that it is time to upgrade. A lot of the coaches that we are looking at are perfect other than the paint checking found on so many older coaches. My question - is there a specific time frame they used the paint that succumbs to checking? We have been mainly looking at Beaver and Monaco products.

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.
34 REPLIES 34

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
It was not a paint problem, it was a fiberglass problem. I had the checking problem on an unpainted Winnebago. I know of motor homes with the checking or etching problems as early as 1998 and as late as 2008. Think 2008 was probably the last but don't know when it started. The problem shows up better or earlier in the areas with darker colors.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Your asking a hard question! How the previous owner took care of the coach might make a big difference. What I see is paint jobs getting better and better every year.

I agree! However, I am looking at 2007 Beaver Contessa's that have been garaged all their life and even they have small checking that has begun. I saw it on several 2006-2008 Country Coach's as well.
Michael

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Your asking a hard question! How the previous owner took care of the coach might make a big difference. What I see is paint jobs getting better and better every year.

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Depends on what age you are looking for. Many of the 2003 and earlier Monaco coaches used Aluminum sidewall construction and had zero paint problems. It was not until fiberglass and composite materials were used in sidewall construction did the paint problem surface.

That was my question....are there specific years to avoid if I am concerned with checking.
Michael

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what age you are looking for. Many of the 2003 and earlier Monaco coaches used Aluminum sidewall construction and had zero paint problems. It was not until fiberglass and composite materials were used in sidewall construction did the paint problem surface.