cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking problems with big rig

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We are going full time in 2018,we are considering a new rig. A 40'-42' DP and a 22' enclosed trailer. My question is how difficult will it be to find places to park. At present we use county, state and nstional parks when available and also private campgrounds. Currently we have a 38' gasser, towing a 4 door Jeep Shahara.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
31 REPLIES 31

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen some people do it, but you're going to severely restrict where you can park. 42' plus 22' is 64'. There's not a lot of pull-thru spots that long and then you'll need room for whatever you unload from the trailer to drive.

Have you thought about backing that thing up? My DP has good mirrors, but 22' of enclosed trailer is going to put a lot of area into a blind spot. It won't be like looking over the Jeep with the mirrors.

I'm making the assumption that you'll have a car of some sort in the trailer, have you tried securing a car in an enclosed trailer yet? It's harder and more time consuming than you think.

Bottom line, I wouldn't do it. We considered an enclosed trailer when we got a DP and I soon dumped the idea. It's one thing if you have to use one to haul something specific like a race car but other then that, I'd stick with the Jeep back there and you'll do just fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will have big issues if you come west to our CA state parks. See http://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength/

National Parks will also a problem at 62 plus feet. Olympic is one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad