cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Cord Reel RV5036- help!

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
My power cord reel failed yesterday. Sounds as if gears locked and striped. Motor turns sit sounds OK. I see some of you found a source for replacing the gears even though the company sold a few years ago (TDI) to TRC.
Can someone give me contact info for either backhoJ or a company who has replacement gears? Thanks in advance...
Ken Cash
9 REPLIES 9

Suncitycowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to this forum and to John Delmatoff and his gear kit, the gear box in my power cord reel could be fixed in under 1 hour! A very easy job. Saved me a couple of hundreds bucks!!

Dankeschoen, as we Germans say!

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks be to BackhoeJ, AKA John Delmatoff. (read the above post for his contact info) The gear he offers for repairing your power cord reel, works wonderfully. Took me about 1.5 hrs to remove, open up, replace and re-install the reel. Easy to do. There is another guy on FMCA.com who offers a complete photo and install instruction which is very helpful and gave the extra confidence to take this on.

Thanks again John....
Ken Cash

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks be to BackhoeJ, AKA John Delmatoff. (read the above post for his contact info) The gear he offers for repairing your power cord reel, works wonderfully. Took me about 1.5 hrs to remove, open up, replace and re-install the reel. Easy to do. There is another guy on FMCA.com who offers a complete photo and install instruction which is very helpful and gave the extra confidence to take this on.

Thanks again John....
Ken Cash

BackhoeJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all ,this is BackhoeJ , I do supply a few parts for rv5036 power cord reel and rv5003 water reel. If anyone is in need please feel free to contact me at jondel1234@yahoo.com

Thank You
John D

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.. I just went ahead and forced the reel to break off the remaining cogs. So I can reel in/out. I do also have a 50AMP extension if needed. I did get the answers and thanks, I had seen the FMCA thread but it was old and difficult. I called the NEW company which took over from TRC and they gave me a new email for that individual named in 2010 thread.

Emailed him and within an hour he called.

His name is John Delmatoff, lives in Norco, CA. 951-371-4839 (W) 951-315-9135 (c). Owns a backhoe company for 30 years. You can google him. Son owns a machine shop making things for aerospace industry. Has the equipment and AS quality materials to reproduce the gear assembly. Cost in 2015 $75. Worth every penny. Replacement reel least I could find $600. plus install etc.
Started off for John, with same problem. Son duplicated the gear and made a few extras. John put it in the FMCA thread and showed how easy it is to replace the gear, and now has a growing business for him and son.
They also make the gear replacement for the water reels if anyone has that problem, plus the motor mounts. John says all fail due to method of manufacture, kind of hot pressure molded. These are cut from solid stock so not affected by heat/cold and use. They are Aerospace quality.
Beyond me why the manufacture doesn't sell replacement parts....Oh, how stupid of me.....they want to sell complete units for $600 to $1000 each. I get it!!!
Ken Cash

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
Not avoiding you just never had that problem. If it doesnt extend so you can use it You can buy a 50 amp extension to get you by.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
THIS link will take you to a thread on FMCA where the guy had the same problem and what he did. The thread is from 2010 but it does have a phone number and his procedure for replacing the gears.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

dropaline
Explorer
Explorer
you might try the marine version the company i think is in st.augustine,fl, i think good luck

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... I would have guessed that at least one of the 148 who read this would have experienced my same problem ... Sure could use your expert advice here. Thanks
Ken Cash