cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Door Locks ...... Key FOB normally an extra ?

oregon2
Explorer
Explorer
Like to get a little feedback here. Ordering a new Class C on Ford E350 chassis. Was told power locks were standard- but there would an extra charge if I wanted key FOB(S). What have some of you experienced with this situation ??
Looking ๐Ÿ™‚
28 REPLIES 28

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:

The power door locks are still nice to have. I open my door with the key, then press the button to open my wife's door before I step inside.

Now what you should do is open your wife's door first, then press the button to unlock your door. I don't necessarily do it that way, but you should. :B
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple years back I looked into adding fobs to my 2007 E350. It turned out there was no receiver, but worse yet that one could not be added because the rig was not wired to accept the receiver. So no fobs for me.

The power door locks are still nice to have. I open my door with the key, then press the button to open my wife's door before I step inside.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
New thought on this. Check the coach entry door inside door jamb on hinge side, if you find a screw in plate with 2 spring loaded electrical contacts. You will have a remote lock/unlock mechanism for your (Winnebago) coach. If the contacts are not there, no remote.

Beverley&Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
dicknellen wrote:
Bobbo, your 2007 should have come with 3 Ford keyfobs so I'm sure you can program remotes like Beverley and Ken said. Dick
REMOTE PROGRAMMING
Obtain all remote transmitters.
FIRST THING TO DO!!! Get in your vehicle, make sure all doors are closed and unlocked.
Switch ignition from OFF to ON 8 times within 10 seconds (On the 8th time leave key in the ON position in the ignition):
Doors should lock then unlock.

You can stop right there if your locks don't lock and unlock. You either don't have a receiver (most likely) or it's not wired into the system. I have a MH on a 2013 E450 and I don't have a receiver, so no keyless entry.

This is as far as we got when the earlier thread came up. Tried it a few times on separate occasions...kinda like staring at the empty shelf at the store hoping the item would magically appear. No luck, so I never ordered fobs or did any digging around to try any further.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

oregon2
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
How much was your dealer going to charge to install keyless remotes ? Can you get him to throw them in as part of "the deal" ?
They're not really all that necessary, power door locks are fine by themselves.

$300 (estimate at this moment) - deal already struck - this came up when a question was asked about whether the power locks included keyless entry - which I presumed anything with power door locks these days would have keyless entry ----- wrong
Looking ๐Ÿ™‚

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
How much was your dealer going to charge to install keyless remotes ? Can you get him to throw them in as part of "the deal" ?
They're not really all that necessary, power door locks are fine by themselves.

oregon2
Explorer
Explorer
This Viper 211HV might be a better system and have some additional features.... plus some support if you encounter problems. $155 installed at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-viper-keyless-entry-system/7729737.p?id=1140392383377&skuId=7729737

or $39.97 if you prefer to swing your own wrench

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-211HV-1-Way-Keyless-System/dp/B001ANXNIW

Anyone installed this unit ?
Looking ๐Ÿ™‚

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
oregon2 wrote:
Mich F wrote:
Here's a remote keyless entry system for an E450 which can be added for not much money. It would work as long as you have power door locks. I have no idea of the quality of the unit, but it's cheap. :B

Shows "No longer available" -- but here is another site that might carry it - and even less $$. Like to hear from someone who has installed one of these.

http://www.meijer.com/s/bulldog-security-ke1702-remote-keyless-entry-system/_/R-201827?CAWELAID=1066952656&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google-G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Home_Improvement&gclid=CNqPjNb077oCFcKDQgodyGYAHA&kpid=283402
Clicky Thingy
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

oregon2
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Here's a remote keyless entry system for an E450 which can be added for not much money. It would work as long as you have power door locks. I have no idea of the quality of the unit, but it's cheap. :B

Shows "No longer available" -- but here is another site that might carry it - and even less $$. Like to hear from someone who has installed one of these.

http://www.meijer.com/s/bulldog-security-ke1702-remote-keyless-entry-system/_/R-201827?CAWELAID=1066952656&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google-G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Home_Improvement&gclid=CNqPjNb077oCFcKDQgodyGYAHA&kpid=283402
Looking ๐Ÿ™‚

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not going to comment further on this, to many variables, other to say I guess I was lucky that it worked on my Winnie. Dick

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dicknellen wrote:
Bobbo, your 2007 should have come with 3 Ford keyfobs so I'm sure you can program remotes like Beverley and Ken said. Dick
REMOTE PROGRAMMING
FIRST THING TO DO!!! Get in your vehicle, make sure all doors are closed and unlocked.
Switch ignition from OFF to ON 8 times within 10 seconds (On the 8th time leave key in the ON position in the ignition):

I did all that. The door locks didn't move. I have tried several times, closely following the instructions in the manual. No Joy.

Mich F wrote:
You can stop right there if your locks don't lock and unlock. You either don't have a receiver (most likely) or it's not wired into the system. I have a MH on a 2013 E450 and I don't have a receiver, so no keyless entry.

This is what I am betting on.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fobs may be an option, if it has electric door locks it will accept fobs. Dick

oregon2
Explorer
Explorer
oregon2 wrote:
Mich F wrote:
dicknellen wrote:
REMOTE PROGRAMMING

So what good are power locks if you don't have remotes to lock and unlock them ? Still lost on this one !

OK- things coming into view now. Guess 1/2 pie is better than no pie at all. Just got of the phone with FORD - they confirmed the FOBS (and I presume a transmitter mounted in the vehicle) are an option on the E-350 Cutaway Chassis.
Looking ๐Ÿ™‚