cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Gear / Adjustments

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I have Power Gear hydraulic leveling system on this motor home.

It has indicator lights which tell you which ay the motor home needs to be picked up in order to get it level.

If I use those indicators the motor home is way out of level.

Currently I use a bubble level app on the phone to level the motor home.

Is there a way to correct this problem (adjust what power gear thinks is level)
15 REPLIES 15

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think I have gone over board? That is 0.1 degrees on the level on my recent attempt to recalibrate zero.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn, I have a different leveling system then you that works really well! But, I still (like you) use a bubble level to double check and I always set the level on a flat surface next to the fridge. Good Luck with your main system!

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn,

My experiences with Power Gear over the years that I needed them has been awesome. When Power Gear allowed you to talk with them it was even better, but now you'll have to do the email thing OR go to a dealer that has an in with them. I think you already know this.

That being said, you'll pay TOP dollar for replacement parts if you go to a RV dealer. If it doesn't bother you then I would buy a bubble level and stick it by the Power Gear pad. I would then take the coach to a parking lot and make sure it was level. Then adjust the bubble level so that the bubble was in the center. When ever I needed to level the coach I would do it manually using the bubble level.

To me, this would be the best and most cost effective way to level your coach. I think you'll find replacing part's from Power Gear will get very expensive. Not including the troubleshooting / part swapping to figure things out. Unless you have plenty of money and want to repair the system with new parts....YMWV

-paul

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I sent a message to Power gear.

Ok, how about if I loosen the mounting screws and insert washers between the base of the unit and the ceiling of the basement?

That way I am not touching the unit adjustment screws, just altering the angle which it is mount to the ceiling of the basement of the motor home?

I got this message back.

Hello,

I have attached a PDF tip sheet for adjusting these screws, try this and see what you get. Take the voltage measurements first before adjusting anything. Thank you.

Bill

This is the PDF that they sent, there is an adjustment that can be made. I do not know if I will get a chance to try it before I go.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Glenn, you may have 'shocked' the system. Power down the coach (all battery switches off). Leave off for a several minutes and power back up. See if that will reset your Power Gear controller.

I had to do that to ours when I was getting a defective code (2008 Dynasty).

Good luck,
MM.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn, you may have 'shocked' the system. Power down the coach (all battery switches off). Leave off for a several minutes and power back up. See if that will reset your Power Gear controller.

I had to do that to ours when I was getting a defective code (2008 Dynasty).

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
So I e-mailed power gear and received this replay back.
Hello,

Please see the attached PDF tip sheet for calibrating the system. Thank you.

Bill

I went over to a local mall parking lot and tried to get it into the recalibration mode and could not.

I sent this e-mail back
Bill,

I got a chance today to play with the recalibration of the Power Gear in my American Dream (Diesel Pusher with air suspension).

I tried many times and could not get it to enter the calibration mode.

With key on and the control pad off I pushed the front button five times and the rear button five times and nothing happens (no flashing lights).

I did this quickly, slowly, held the bottoms momentarily, and other combinations, but I could not get it to enter the calibration mode.

Help.

I received this e-mail back.

Hello,

If it won't go into calibration mode then you have a defective control box unfortunately. What was the part number on your touchpad or control box? Thank you.

Bill

I sent this back

Attached are photos of the touch pad and the control unit. Where would the part number be / which is bad?

Part number on the unit in the basement of the motor home is 02753-01 (picture DSC 5534)

The response was.
Hello,

The control box is the 2bd picture, verify this is mounted securely upside down and the arrow is pointing towards the front of the vehicle. Both of these items are obsolete, they are replaced by a 500643S which is a new touchpad and control box, it will upgrade it to a automatic system. There will also be a wiring change at the pump that will be needed. The instructions and harnesses come in this kit. Please order from a dealer or retailer linked below. Thank you.

Bill

I think I will just live with it, unless someone as another way of getting in the recalibration mode or I can manually adjust the level with these screws.

Any thoughts?

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
So I wrote to Power Gear and got these instructions back.

I have read the entire instruction sheet you supplied to recalibrate my Power Gear Leveling unit.

The one piece of information I did not have is whether there is a harness plugged into the auxiliary receptacle.

It appears this information is needed to complete the recalibration.

I took the cover off the control unit and it does not look like the one pictured on the instruction sheet.

The compartment is dark and I could not use a flash as it wiped out the detail, but there appears to be screws to make adjustments. This is a close up of a label that appears to be a left/right adjustment?

and behind the wires there appears to be a label for a screw to adjust front to rear

This is what the control panel looks like.

Would you please advise me on how to proceed. I have done nothing as yet

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There are two different centering procedures depending on the system.. One of them I can tell you absolutely nothing about.

Now: Somewhere on your coach, likely attached to the frame, is a box, it has two adjusters (Screwdriver adjusted adjusters) one for right to left, one for front to back. that is how you reset it.

I can not photograph mine for you as.. Well.. I have not (yet) found it.

My box is located on the ceiling of the basement, in the second bay back on the right side.

I did send an e-mail to power gear and will wait to see if they respond

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two different centering procedures depending on the system.. One of them I can tell you absolutely nothing about.

Now: Somewhere on your coach, likely attached to the frame, is a box, it has two adjusters (Screwdriver adjusted adjusters) one for right to left, one for front to back. that is how you reset it.

I can not photograph mine for you as.. Well.. I have not (yet) found it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
You can also email Power Gear and they will send you an instruction sheet, which tells you the procedure. I did it, using their instructions, and it made a huge difference. Their instruction sheet was not nearly as complicated as the one given above.

Will do. Thanks

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
You can also email Power Gear and they will send you an instruction sheet, which tells you the procedure. I did it, using their instructions, and it made a huge difference. Their instruction sheet was not nearly as complicated as the one given above.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
This is the control panel that I have.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know which model I have? (for control 500630, 140-1227, 140-1170,
140-1228 (used with touch pad 500629 or 140-1226)).When I get home and have a carpenter level I will try this.

Thanks