cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre trip preparations...

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
We managed to score 5 days in the Zion Watchman CG for next week so today and tomorrow are dedicated to the requisite pre trip preparations. We have not used our coach since last fall, had to cancel Quartzite due to Covid and then had a frozen pipe burst in our house which took 7 weeks to completely repair/replace and obviously kept us at home...grrrr.

I am lucky enough to be able to store the 24' Class C on our property with a dedicated 30 amp connection. We often have temps down in the mid to low 20's and have seen mid teens a couple of times so... Last December I winterized the coach even going so far as to blow out the water lines with my compressor. Drained the 40 gallon water tank and 6 gallon water heater. Filled the traps with RV antifreeze and added half a gallon to both the black and grey tanks. No need for anti freeze in the lines so did not have to blow them out again.

Ran the generator for an hour under a decent load, cranked up the 35K btu furnace for 45 minutes, fired up the tank heaters for half an hour. After refilling I ran the water heater on AC and LP and basically ran/checked every system in the coach with no issues. :B Given the recent spike in fuel prices I'm glad I already had full fuel and LP tanks. It's been raining off and on all day so topping up the tires{ 60 on the fronts and 65 on the rears} can wait until tomorrow. I will verify 25 psi in the air bags as we are traveling with a medium load of about 11,000# which includes a full water tank.

Spare keys, meds, cash etc go into the safe. I'll grocery shop in the morning and then all that will be left is to load food, clothes and toys. Hope to be on the road {332 miles} by 0730 and in our site by 2. The weather is going to colder than originally forecast but winter camping is not new or a problem. The heavy snow that fell in Zion this weekend should leave the park an amazing winter wonderland. Can't wait!

:C
16 REPLIES 16

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 80,000 pounds 18 wheelers weigh has a lot to do with their stability.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Phedley
Explorer
Explorer
In response to the pre-trip air pressure. We are new to the class c motor home. We are running 70psi front and rear with the air bags at 60psi. The suspension has the heaviest sway bar that you can by I think that it’s 1 1/2” dia. Heavy duty shocks front and rear. The RV still does not handle well especially in the wind. It is all over the road. I’ve driven 18 wheelers before and they handle like a corvette this RV not so. I’m driving about 55-60 mph. Any ideas as to why it handles the way it does?